The Serotonin Power Diet??

Options
Has anyone out there tried this and had success..?
I have gained an incredible amount of weight in the last 6 years that I've been on Zoloft. I have been attempting to lose weight for the last 3 years on and off, trying EVERYTHING, I hit the gym 4/5 times a week, count my calories and sure, I'm a human I slip up every now and then but the occasional "cheat" should not cancel out every single moment of exercise I do. Anywho, I was doing some research and I noticed a few publications singing the praises of the Serotonin Power Diet especially for those who have gained weight on medications. Anybody out there tried it and had success?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It might work. :) If it helps you stay under your calorie goal, you will know that it is working for you.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Are you still taking Zoloft?

When I took Paxil I gained around 25 pounds. I lost approximately within six weeks after I stopped it without trying. The weight just melted off.

When I took Effexor, I gained something like 70 pounds. Unlike with the Paxil, this time the excess weight did not come off right away. It took a few years to get back to normal. (During that period I tried several diets. I don't remember if I tried the serotonin power diet, but I might have.) Then suddenly I started losing, once again without trying (at least the first 20). I then started portion control and calorie counting and the rest came off. I did not follow any particular diet plan for most of it. Towards the end I followed a plan that reduced sugar and increased protein and emphasized eating slowly (25 minutes per meal with a five minute break in the middle).

I eventually slipped back into bad habits (formed on that darn Effexor) and gained back 35 pounds which is why I'm here.
  • TheFo1dOut
    TheFo1dOut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    Are you still taking Zoloft?

When I took Paxil I gained around 25 pounds. I lost approximately within six weeks after I stopped it without trying. The weight just melted off.

When I took Effexor, I gained something like 70 pounds. Unlike with the Paxil, this time the excess weight did not come off right away. It took a few years to get back to normal. (During that period I tried several diets. I don't remember if I tried the serotonin power diet, but I might have.) Then suddenly I started losing, once again without trying (at least the first 20). I then started portion control and calorie counting and the rest came off. I did not follow any particular diet plan for most of it. Towards the end I followed a plan that reduced sugar and increased protein and emphasized eating slowly (25 minutes per meal with a five minute break in the middle).

I eventually slipped back into bad habits (formed on that darn Effexor) and gained back 35 pounds which is why I'm here.

I tried going off of the zoloft 2 summers ago but realized I couldn't really control my anxiety on my own so I'm back on it. Even when I was off of it I didn't lose any ounce so who knows. All of the reviews on this diet seem really encouraging, I'm desperate for something to work.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I was first put on Zoloft about 2 years I lost weight at first. Then last year I gained 20 lbs which seemed like out of nowhere. I had my doctor switch me to Wellbutrin because I knew I still needed something for my anxiety and depression. The Wellbutrin has helped me lose the 20 lbs but that is just my experience with it. You may need to talk to your doctor about a different medication. I've never heard of the Serotonin Power Diet but I'm interested in finding out more about it.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this one so I don't know what it contains.
    But I incorporate some ideas I've seen about foods to help with mood into my regular MFP routine.

I added Omega-3s (fish oil, fish, and flaxseed) and cut back on sugar. Like clockwork, I have a huge mood swing and crash after too much sugar. So, that seems to be helping.