pottasium

Options
Can anybody tell me why my pottasium levels per day seem wrong, a jacket potato is full of pottassium, yet in my nutrition for the day it only shows I have eaten 10mg, Thanks

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    check the database entries you're using. Many are created by users who don't include information for all nutrients. Potassium especially is likely to be missing, because in the U.S., anyway, food manufacturers are not required to include potassium information on their nutrition labels.
  • maries4441
    maries4441 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok, Thank you for your reply, need to keep tabs on my pottasium, will input manually, didn't realise you could, Thank you
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The FDA does not require that potassium be on food labels. So many foods in the database will be incomplete. Most likely, you are getting enough potassium.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info about usda and labeling requirements too.
  • maries4441
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    The FDA does not require that potassium be on food labels. So many foods in the database will be incomplete. Most likely, you are getting enough potassium.

Thank you, didn't realise that, :)
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Search for "Potatoes - flesh" to bring up a list of MFP-entered food items at the top of the search results. Choose a raw or cooked entry as needed, such as this one.

2oi1kqx57s6m.jpg
  • maries4441
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Search for "Potatoes - flesh" to bring up a list of MFP-entered food items at the top of the search results. Choose a raw or cooked entry as needed, such as this one.

2oi1kqx57s6m.jpg

Thank you for taking time to reply, thats very helpful.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Marie, I find if I put usda before what I am looking up, it usually will show by grams and has the potassium listed. usda gala apple Usda strawberries etc

I also track my potassium and have an open food diary if you want to get some idea's of higher potassium foods. I try to get my potassium between 3500 and 4700mg
  • maries4441
    Options
    Thats great Thank you
  • maries4441
    Options
    kayeiam wrote: »
    Marie, I find if I put usda before what I am looking up, it usually will show by grams and has the potassium listed. usda gala apple Usda strawberries etc

I also track my potassium and have an open food diary if you want to get some idea's of higher potassium foods. I try to get my potassium between 3500 and 4700mg

Just tried it, its brilliant. Thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    maries4441 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me why my pottasium levels per day seem wrong, a jacket potato is full of pottassium, yet in my nutrition for the day it only shows I have eaten 10mg, Thanks

most entries are made by users and often are derived from nutritional labels for which potassium is not a requirement. In general, most people are getting more than they think. Also, with stuff like this...bulk veggies, meat, etc I type in whatever it is and "USDA"
  • maries4441
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    maries4441 wrote: »

most entries are made by users and often are derived from nutritional labels for which potassium is not a requirement. In general, most people are getting more than they think. Also, with stuff like this...bulk veggies, meat, etc I type in whatever it is and "USDA"

Thank you