loosing 130lbs. help plz.

Options
So im trying to get off 130lbs. Im sick of being this big. Any advice is greatly appriciated. Ty

Replies

• pwisely
    Options
    Strength train first, then do cardio. Use the machines if you're just starting out instead of the free weights so that its near impossible to hurt yourself if you follow the directions on the side of the strength machine. You will not bulk up, you will lose fat first and become toned. If you lost 130lbs with only cardio you'll get 'skinny fat' and you wont look as good as you lose the weight
  • pwisely
    Options
    Also to throw in. If you do cardio and burn 300 calories in ~40 mins, you only burn for the time you did the cardio. If you do strength training, you burn 180-200 cals in ~40 mins, but then for the next 36 hours your body burns up to an additional 200-400 calories for the next 36 hours than it would've if you hadn't strength trained. Cardio only works WHILE you're doing the cardio.

Cardio is good but only if PAIRED with strength training and done second.
  • nunat919
    nunat919 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Agree with above poster and walk 10 min to warm up and 10 min to cool down as needed. If you need food advice there are plenty of program out there for you. It's important to have support so send me a friend request if you want to. Also, join a group!
  • HuskyHiker413
    HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My #1 tip is to get a good kitchen scale, weigh solids measure liquid! Log everything that goes into your mouth... Even when you think you have been doing it long enough to guess keep weighing!
  • pwisely
    Options
    Oh yes as HuskyHiker413 said log EVERYTHING. if you have a pinch of cheetos then put 1 serving cheetos (and that doesnt mean your day is ruined, use calorie deficit)

The myfitnesspal MOBILE APP makes it easy because you can barcode scan an item to auto input it too, use that.
  • cdnelson0102
    cdnelson0102 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The key is staying motivated and consistent. MFP helps with the support. They are my go to when I am feeling irritated because my weight goes up and down.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Personally, I disagree with the folks who start off right away with the exercise advise. If you are severely overweight, diet is going to give you much more bang for the buck than exercise. If you have a limited pool of willpower to draw from, you will probably find the suffering of dieting is less than the suffering of exercise when you are severely overweight. Burning off 150 calories on an exercise bike is a tremendous effort - making 150 calories of deficit when you are 130 pounds overweight is fairly trivial.

So I say start with diet first. When you feel like you have a handle on that, then focus on fitness.