Running newbie here

Options
Hello,
I have not long started at the gym and I have started running on the treadmill which I really enjoy (only can do 10mins at the moment) but I keep reading on here that lifting heavy weights are the best way to lose body fat etc.... I am now worried cos I enjoy running and (do it every gym session) that I won't get the results I want (I do some machine weights at the gym every session too as the men and women in the free weight section scare me lol). Any advice?? (Dunno if it matters but I can only get to the gym twice a wk)

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    On your non running days you can strength train to help build muscle and tone your body. The running will help torch calories and lose fat, but your skin may be a little "saggy" without the strength training. You can do body weight exercises (pushups, squats, lunges, crunches) at home, or try kettlebells at home for strength training (my fave!) Check out Live Fit revolution's website for kettlebell exercises, fitness blender, or youtube videos on other exercises that you can do at the gym in the free weights section. Many people like to watch the videos at home and mimic the movements until they feel natural and then go to the gym so they don't feel like a newbie. Hope this helps!
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Didn't know if a few hand weights at home would be enough :\ If you know what I mean
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I starting running about 2yrs ago and have just recently decided to add in strength training (especially since it's cold and humid outside and I don't do cold and humid). I only have a few free weights at home that I use. I've only been at it for a few weeks now, but I do feel like it's keeping me in shape since I haven't been running the past few months. I've even added in some zumba videos so I can still have some cardio in there. When it finally warms up and I start running more regularly again, I will most like keep the strength training in my routine just keep it habit.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    You won't get the results running or lifting? I find that lifting makes running easier, that running contributes to modest muscle loss, and both help contribute to my fat loss.

I guess it depends on your goals. Muscle retention is important to me, so I tend to lean more toward lighter runs and heavier lifts.
  • ericaeast92
    ericaeast92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do both! I do not think a modest amount of running will impede your muscle growth. And running is the biggest calorie burner around (and lots of fun)!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Can do a lot of calisthenics at home with only your body weight. Should only run three to four times a week, and in between do strength training exercises. I usually go to Bodybuilding.com and Men'shealth.com to get some ideas. Good luck!
  • angielisa75
    angielisa75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Adding Jillian Michaels dvd NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES 2 or 3 times a week really helped my running, because I have built stronger muscles.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Try you are you own gym. You can probably get the book from your library, but the app is under $5 and has everything you need( if you have a smart phone). The author is Mark Lauren. He also has a program geared to women. Do that at home and run on the treadmill at the gym. Try the couch 2 5 k program. It'll take you longer to do at two days a week, but you'll be surprised at how fast you can build up to a 5k. I lost 49 pounds so far since starting it six months ago. I need to add in a strength program myself though.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Running will increase your base cardio fitness, increase leg strength, tone leg muscles especially calves and thighs, and at the right intensity will strip away fat. However, it's a lean body type hence the advice on not lifting AND running.

People wanting to build mass avoid running (especially distance running) as it tends to strip away muscle mass and leave you lean. The 'typical' runner body looks like this: rw2-bmi.jpg

If you enjoy running, lucky you, you are probably a runner. I would completely & 100% recommend doing a couch to 5k program, and signing up for a 5km running event. If you like running on the treadmill, you will love running outdoors & at an event.
  • cookie12535007
    cookie12535007 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am honestly not that knowledgeable about fitness. But, after picking up a real exercise routine over the last month and a half without hardly any weight loss has made me question what I have been doing. I remembered back to last year when I was able to go to the gym for an hour or so after-work while I waited for my carpool friend to finish her hours. I would do weight training 3 out of the 5 days and run the other 2. My speed was improving at a rate I had never seen before and my arms were quickly becoming lean and toned. I did moderate reps at the weights I could handle for the entire number of reps. I believe that I am seeing no progress right now due to a lack of strength training! I will be starting back tomorrow with weights at my little gym at my apartment complex and I am very hopeful.

And I agree with the post above. Set a goal and go run with friends! My coworker is doing the couch to 5k plan and I am doing my own training so we can enjoy the 5k we have at the end of April. We gave ourselves enough time to work through any downfalls we may have and to really train and not get injured during the race.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have not long started at the gym and I have started running on the treadmill which I really enjoy (only can do 10mins at the moment) but I keep reading on here that lifting heavy weights are the best way to lose body fat etc....

As upthread, a lot depends on your objectives. It's worth recognising that on here there are a disproportionate number of people who will push the view that lifting heavy is the answer, now what's the question.

For most people looking to lose weight, and improve health and fitness what's most appropriate is a balance between cardiovascular training and resistance training. It's then a question of identifying the balance between those.

I'm a runner, so most of my sessions tend to be running, with some cross training to balance that out. I cycle, swim and do some resistance training. They're all complementary.

The key thing for weight loss is about diet though, so the training is about how to get the outcomes you're after. m There is some guff upthread about a typical runner, can't say I've ever seen one of those although different types of running suit different physiques. At the elite competitive level then runners are going to bias their resistance training to suit their objectives. Sprinters will do a lot of heavy lifting to build explosive power whereas long distance runners will tend to do resistance work that's aimed at building core strength and upper body stability.

All that said, you do need a bit more consistency. You can do bodyweight resistance training at home, and you can run outdoors.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just go with what you enjoy doing :)

If you enjoy running then go with that until you feel you can do something else on top of that, no point in doing something just because you feel or read you should.
  • neurex
    neurex Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You may want to build core strength and exercises at helping to prevent running injuries later on, like squats, planks, crunches, etc. I was getting to were I would do 15-20 miles per week before having shin and knee issues that set me back and I'm can't wait to get back on track. You can google "exercises for runners" for exercises.

I would think that running would actually be better for losing weight, since it burns a lot more calories. Anyways, running is what matters, weight loss and strength building is just a way to improve your running :smile:.
  • SarenaWM
    SarenaWM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Whichever workout you enjoy and can stick with long term will get you the best result. That being said, it doesn't hurt to try new things. Maybe try getting a session with a trainer so you can get you more comfortable with lifting and be shown how to do it properly.. you might end up loving it!
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love running, and I have been running consistently (4-6 days a week) since November. I have definitely slimmed down and become a lot leaner, but there are certain parts of my body that it hasn't targeted. I think eventually if I really want to tone up my "problem" areas, I'm going to have to incorporate weights, etc. But it still feels great :-D I started doing the couch to 5k around the end of Oct/early Nov, and it's such a great program! My friend that I did it with hadn't really ever run before, and both of us were able to use it as a great starting point. Enjoy it!
  • chezzabelle82
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have started to do a group exercise class a wk too now just to mix it up a bit. I am still doing my small bit of running on treadmill I haven't ran outside yet (I also don't have anyone to run with as most of my friends aren't really into fitness or they just do the gym). Will look at couch to 5k though but think I need to update my phone first (if I have enough memory lol)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Will look at couch to 5k though

Podcasts. You don't need an app for it.

That'll get you to 30 minutes of continuous running in about 9-12 weeks.
  • chezzabelle82
    Options
    Will look at couch to 5k though

Podcasts. You don't need an app for it.

That'll get you to 30 minutes of continuous running in about 9-12 weeks.

Will look later on tonight then
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
  • chezzabelle82
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just manage to download the app of this to my phone
    Had to download a app for podcasts anyway so it was quicker to do this, also a quick question can I use this app while on the treadmill in the gym or is it really just for outside??