Scale Not Budging, Losing inches

Options
Hi all,

Is it pretty typical about 3+weeks in after beginning a very consistent but brand new workout schedule, heavy on strength training to not lose weight? I am combining this exercise with logging everything I eat, and staying nearly always under 1500 calories. I also make healthy choices, I'm not big on junk or processed food, and almost never eat out.

I've felt my clothes fitting much looser, and notice muscles toning up a lot! All of that is positive... but with the scale barely budging (and I weigh 198, so I have a fair amount to lose), I'm losing motivation when I don't have a good weigh-in each week.

Thanks so much! This has always been a problem for me in the past. When I log in consistently eating well for a month and DO NOT EXERCISE, I lose pounds. I've lost over 20 in the past 2 years just watching calories. (This isn't good enough tho, because I have back problems and strength training is SO important for me to have a healthier back! Also I want to be fit, not just a thinner person.) When I do what I'm doing now, which is adding in a good amount of working out, I lose inches and no weight!

I suppose the answer is... JUST STICK WITH IT THIS TIME?

Thanks so much for help, your experience with this... Btw, I'm female, 5'8''

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yep, it is indeed pretty typical. If you just started a new strength training program, your muscles will swell and retain water and you may not see a scale drop right away.

If you're losing inches, that's the truly telling part. The scale will catch up, but that's secondary.

Stick with it!
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post.

I would also suggest changing up your workouts so that your body doesn't get used to it, keep it mixed up so that your body has to work

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • eloise80
    eloise80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We also had a salty meal of homemade "fried rice" last night. Although really heavy on veggies, I did add a little too much soy sauce. Maybe it's salt retention? (Although, I am good at staying very hydrated... we drink a huge pot of decaf green tea each night before bed, too.)

Sigh.... I will maybe weigh in tomorrow as well, just to see if it was this salty meal. I usually only weigh in 1 day a week.

I appreciate the motivating, kind words from you both! I don't know anything about the science behind muscles and how to they work with toning and swelling and retaining water, but my fiance thinks my back is tightening up and my legs and arms are getting definition, not to mention my stomach is flatter... Stupid scale!!

Ok, I will keep it up, and try to throw in some long walks. Just hard to with the weather being so epically cold lately!
  • Hi_Jenn_Jenn
    Hi_Jenn_Jenn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! My scale didn't budge for 7 weeks when I started lifting heavy. I dropped inches and stuck with it and eventually the scale caught up.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Maybe start weighing in on a monthly schedule (two weeks after or before TOM)? Use the tape measure weekly and then just weigh in once a month.

I totally agree with everyone else, you should be ecstatic about the loss of inches! :D But I know, it can play tricks with your mind and morale.

Just know that you are getting stronger, and if you stick with it, the weight will come off all of a sudden. Weight loss isn't linear so you'll find on a weekly weigh in schedule, your weight can go up and down, but trends will be more accurate.
  • eloise80
    Options
    I guess weight can be distributed very differently as you age, too. I just tried on dresses that haven't fit me since I gained 10-15 pounds, but they are fitting now, at this much higher weight! They would not have fit a month ago!

I guess it's possible to go down a full dress size without losing more than a pound or two!

I'll keep up the exercise and keep tracking and hopefully some will drop off at some point!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too the first 6 weeks when I began SS. Lost a couple pounds the first week, then it wouldn't budge at all...but I still went down 2 pants sizes.

Just keep going. :) Good luck
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    same has been happening to me i have been doing focus t25 which includes cardio and strength and some weeks i dont see the scale move. it hasnt moved in fact for 3 weeks now. i can tell my body is changing and i look more shaped now and defined also my tummy is disappearing really quick. scales will catch up soon!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The scale will move more slowly when you're lifting. Use the tape measure to help gauge success along with the scale. People don't see the number on the scale, they see your size so the scale should be the least important measure of success.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I started a new weight lifting program several weeks back and the scale actually moved up for a very long time before it finally started dropping again. Stick with it! My clothes fit better as well, which is a sign of progress!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on track. It's important to know what you're going for. If you've ever played Angry Birds, you know that there are 2 objectives to most screens...1 is killing all the monkeys, but 2 is getting the golden banana (if there's one on that particular level). So many times I was trying to just get the banana, and the screen would say, "Level failed." No....I got the banana. I wasn't going for getting all the monkeys.

If you're going for getting in better shape - then don't let the scale be the measurement you give more credence to....let it be your clothes and the tape measure.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this: if you lost 40 pounds but looked the same, would you be happy? Now what if you went down 4 sizes but didn't lose any weight?

Weight is just an indicator of size, really - we track it because it's easier than doing measurements but truthfully I believe the measurements are the only thing that counts.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I believe the measurements are the only thing that counts.
    Until you step up to the pull-up bar or get to a big hill on your bike. Then you're going to wish a few pounds came with those couple inches. I can't say being/looking smaller is a BAD thing but to say it's the only thing that counts is a stretch.

I wouldn't necessarily, I became a much stronger distance runner when I moved my weight up...rather than cutting even more.

I guess that depends on your goals and the context of how much weight we're talking here.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Until you step up to the pull-up bar or get to a big hill on your bike. Then you're going to wish a few pounds came with those couple inches. I can't say being/looking smaller is a BAD thing but to say it's the only thing that counts is a stretch.

I wouldn't necessarily, I became a much stronger distance runner when I moved my weight up...rather than cutting even more.

I guess that depends on your goals and the context of how much weight we're talking here.
    All I know is pulling up 190lbs would be easier than 230lbs. Even 20lbs on my bike made a big difference (going from 250 to 230) going up hills. I haven't run in a while so I'm not sure how different that feels.

I noticed even 10 extra pounds running, but then, I'm short. I've heard every 10 pounds of weight loss is around 30 pounds to your knees.

Personally, I believe all of the different ways to measure are important, the scale just seems to be the one that most new people fixate on, probably because of the diet industry. Of course, it doesn't help that it's nearly the first thing you enter when setting up your profile, how you base your weekly goals, and the tool shows it to you in big numbers every time you log in.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

All I know is pulling up 190lbs would be easier than 230lbs. Even 20lbs on my bike made a big difference (going from 250 to 230) going up hills. I haven't run in a while so I'm not sure how different that feels.

I'd say comparing a 20-40lb difference in weight to 3weeks of the scale not moving, but some inches dropping off, is pretty apples to soccer balls, but that's me I guess.
  • madslacker
    Options
    A few things to consider.

1. If you're new to weight training, you can absolutely go through a period where you gain muscle even while eating at a deficit. Be careful how much you attribute to this phenomenon because you may be making a mistake in your tracking - but also keep it in mind as you get frustrated. I mean, if you you should be losing 1-2lbs per week but not seeing scale movement for 2-4 weeks - don't assume it's muscle. It's highly unlikely that you're gaining 4-8lbs of muscle a month (especially if you're only eating 1500 calories a day).

2. Don't have a special weigh in. I personally weigh in daily because my weight fluctuates with water retention or loss depending on how much I eat (water weight disappears after a few days of reduced calories but comes right back after consuming > maintenance), how much sodium, etc. I'm typically a Saturday cheat day guy so I have two weigh-ins that I've been tracking in a separate spreadsheet. Saturday morning (I'll be at my lowest from reduced calories during the week) and Monday morning (typically my heaviest because of my weekend eating). Generally though, my weight will differ 3-5lbs on my heavy day (from my light day) but it's still reduced from the week before. Take your weight every day and evaluate what you're doing as it fluctuates.

3. Tracking calories is challenging. I'm sure you've noticed a pretty large discrepancy between the # of calories in the same food (specifically cuts of meat). It's also easy to fudge things and not count micro bites of food. As a general rule it's better to play it safe and take the higher value offered when you search food.

4. It's also difficult to track calories burned. Far better to enter a lower number of calories burned to be on the safe side.

Ultimately (for #3 and #4) your goal is to lose weight so it's better to aire on the side of caution (as it relates to that goal). I know people will scold me for saying you're trying to lose weight because we're really trying to lose fat - but let's face it - If you're significantly overweight and you reduce calories your body will naturally turn to the surplus of fat you carry with you. That's why the fat is there and you don't just poop out all of the extra calories you don't need. Your body stores it for the tough times.

Good luck!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    go you.
  • eloise80
    Options
    Wow lots of replies. Thanks people. Yes, I agree I might be logging incorrectly here and there. I ordered a food scale and it arrived today so that will be cool to make sure I count meats and even fruits more accurately.

However, I am definitely eating way less than I did before my logging in began about a month ago- I was on a terrible cycle of binge eating chips and takeout so now that all that has stopped, I would think more of a weight drop.

However, I enjoyed trying in the clothes that haven't fit for years, so it's no doubt progress is being made. Excited to see what I'll look like in a bathing suit come summer if I keep up this routine.

My workouts have not been super heavy lifting but rather Barre3 classes, ballet class, and walking. These classes are extremely challenging and use your own weight as the resistance, so obviously I'm working my butt off listing all 198 pounds of me. LOL NO WONDER I LOOK SO TONED!:D