Why did my wt go up?

Options
Ive done so well these past 8 days. Was losing a little and I'm fine with little losses along the way. Seriously haven't eaten anything I regretted or wasn't planned, stayed close to or under my calories, and have been working out and running. I'm taking a rest day today bc my body just feels a little tired. I'm 5'8" and got to 152.8 then it went by up to 154 and 154.2. Is there a reason it would go bk up? Typically my at doesnt go up that much unless it's from food-which has been on point!Im taking it as a test..can't let the number bother me and trust the process..it'll come off and I will get to where I want to be! It takes time!!

Big win for me...no binges, tracking everything, and staying on track with my food.

Replies

• BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    stop worrying. it's normal. if you can't handle the fluctuations then don't weigh yourself so often.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Water weight, ToM, sodium intake...all could be factors. Don't stress.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates for many many reasons. sounds like possible water retention. weight loss isnt going to happen like we want it too. sometimes you will lose a few lbs in a week sometimes you wont lose anything for a few weeks or longer. everyone is different. if you are weighing everything and working out then you should notice a loss soon. weigh once a week at the same time(in the am after you use the bathroom-before you eat).
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Generic advice:
    1. weight fluctuates. Your body weight can fluctuate 5lbs a day. Don't stress about small fluctuations. Did you eat more salt than normal, more carbs than normal, did you just start a new exercise regime, is your period on its way? All of those things can cause you to retain water. Look at the trend long term (over months, not weeks)

2. How accurate are you being in your logging? Do you use a food scale to weigh out your food or do you use measuring cups or do you just eyeball. A food scale is the most accurate of these methods. Here's a video showing the impact of what weighing your food can do for the outcome of your day:

If you need more specific advice, you need to open your food diary.
  • rshear1026
    Options
    Maybe your adding a little more muscle?? I wouldn't worry so much with a couple pounds, continue to stay at your calorie goal, eating under can sometimes work against you!! Hang in there you will be fine!!
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Time of the month honey. It will go up by as much as 5 lbs around that time. And it will go back down after. It looks like you aren't making progress and your weight wont budge no matter what, but don't get discouraged.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Daily fluctuations. It's all normal. If you stay on the plan, you'll lose weight. It won't happen linearly day by day, or sometimes not even week by week. Too many factors. But if you track your weight, you'll see it go down over time.

When I got to a certain point, I wouldn't see any loss for 2 or 3 weeks, then suddenly I got a woosh and lost 4 pounds in a day.

Don't expect to see a lower number every day. Expect it to fluctuate up and down short term, and down overall long term.
  • tlw7
    tlw7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm not really worried-just figured I'd ask for opinions. I do weigh and measure all my food so I know I'm pretty accurate. I've taken pics and measurements..do this 1x a week to compare. I know it's a process and takes time..I have to remind myself of that esp since I want to be successful at getting to where I want to be instead of falling off. Again, thanks for the comments!!
  • nicolaferris420
    nicolaferris420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is why I believe weighing yourself more than once a week becomes obsessive. Too many fluctuations, once a week is more than enough.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Even though I've read over and over on the board that it is normal, it is still a little discouraging. It sounds like you have a great attitude about it though.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    This is why I believe weighing yourself more than once a week becomes obsessive. Too many fluctuations, once a week is more than enough.

Nope, I weigh myself daily. There are little variations up and down, but it's interesting to see how what I ate the day before affects what I weigh each day. I know that if I go up, it's generally due to the sodium I've consumed--I go up about a pound every time my sodium goes off the rails and then it's gone in a day or two. Daily weighing is not always about obsession; sometimes it's just about understanding how your body works and what you can eat to make it work "right." (The way you want it to work.)

• Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have been doing this for 20 days.....lost 3 lbs quickly then was up 2, down 1, up .5, etc. Now i am weighing every week or two. BUT...I have lost 1.5 inches from my waist. Results are not just by the scale. Do not get discouraged. Just stick with it!!
  • tlw7
    Options
    Last time I measured I'd lost 1" on my waist. I'm not obsessive..just like to understand my body as much as possible. I did well with my eating this summer and had a few times where my weight would hold/plateau and eventually it would fall off. Just had to make it through those times.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal daily fluctuations.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    tlw7 wrote: »
    Ive done so well these past 8 days. Was losing a little and I'm fine with little losses along the way. Seriously haven't eaten anything I regretted or wasn't planned, stayed close to or under my calories, and have been working out and running. I'm taking a rest day today bc my body just feels a little tired. I'm 5'8" and got to 152.8 then it went by up to 154 and 154.2. Is there a reason it would go bk up? Typically my at doesnt go up that much unless it's from food-which has been on point!Im taking it as a test..can't let the number bother me and trust the process..it'll come off and I will get to where I want to be! It takes time!!

Big win for me...no binges, tracking everything, and staying on track with my food.

You cannot stress small swings across small time frames when it comes to weight. You will go nuts, get depressed and quit. Seriously if you are eating fewer calories than you are burning then you are on the right track. If weight stays the same or increases over a long period you need to look at what you are eating but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
  • TXRedDirt
    TXRedDirt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've decided to go to once a week weighing. i've been at this for 4 months and lost over 40 lbs, but weighed in today 8 lbs heavier than I did 3 days ago. While I went over on sat and sunday no way I went 8 lbs worth of calories over.
  • tlw7
    Options
    Probably didn't gain 8 actual pounds. Drink lots of water and get back on track! I'm 31 and when I mess up eating it takes several days maybe close to 5-7 days to get back. A few yrs ago..used to be bk the day after I cleaned up and drank tons of water. Not so much anymore. So I'm kinda getting to where I tell myself it's not even worth it eat some things.