100 lb goal

Options
dpgalbreath
dpgalbreath Posts: 26 Member
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
my goal is 100 lbs by January 31 2016. If I could continue at the rate I'm going I would make it but I know things will start slowing down the closer I get to my goal, and that is ok I already notice how much better I feel and I have only lost 8 lbs. but I have to start somewhere. I'm on a long journey, but I didn't gain this excess weigh in a day and I' m up the for challenge.
I would love to get my husband on the band wagon since he is diabetic and over-weight. My biggest challenge with him is he will not eat vegetables and very few fruits. He drinks orange juice and grape juice and eats white bread and meat , potatoes, rice,pasta,eggs,cheese and that is about it.
Anyone with this challenge and how you helped someone loose weight with this kind of limitation please I would so appreciate advice or suggestions.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm 93 lbs down now and if you would have said so twenty months ago I wouldn't have believed it. I am so much healthier now, it's like I'm a different me.
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal of 100 lbs by January 1, 2016..I know we can do it!!
  • lebelles
    Options
    Isn't it amazing how losing just a little bit makes you feel so much better, instantly. Physically as well as mentally. So it's Monday and I'm starting once again. Here's to making it thru the week! I'm scared to set a 100# goal by January, at this point I'm willing to take what I can get!
  • dpgalbreath
    Options
    Yes it is wonderful how the body responds when we try to do what is right. Don't be afraid to set goals. If numbers scare you just train yourself to realize each accomplishment is because you made a right choice. The first time I lost a lot of weight was 22 years ago and I trained myself to like hunger pains I know that sounds crazy but my point is it is all in our heads and how we talk to ourself. If you say to yourself hunger pains mean I'm losing weight and you get on the scale and you have lost that is positive reinforcement.
    This time I'm eating more and setting a more realistic goal but am ok if it doesn't go as fast as last time ( 58lbs in 6 months) but as long as I realize I just work harder and get myself in shape and healthy.
  • shattrdillusion
    Options
    My boyfriend has similar eating habits to your husband's and I've found that as I cook more healthily, he is losing a little too; his biggest problem is portion control so I just serve smaller portions to start, then make him wait a bit before going for seconds. I try to cook more of the veggies and such that he's willing to eat and I've started sneaking vegetables in where he may not notice them. Try mixing spaghetti squash or julienned zucchini into his pasta (the sauce should disguise it at least a little). I've also started pureeing cauliflower into traditionally cream based potato soups instead of using cream, or loading up chilis and stews with a lot of beans and vegetables - cut them into small enough pieces and it'll be too much trouble to take them out!

With the juices, try cutting them with some water (start small and gradually increase the amounts), or just have them available in limited quantities. I joke that I live with a picky toddler, but that's basically the approach I've had to take to correct eating habits!

• caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    He can do it eating all the stuff - I don't really like fruits n vegetables either. It's all about counting calories
  • dpgalbreath
    Options
    What do you eat Caitlyn30
  • dpgalbreath
    Options
    Oh and I love you quote about food choices.
  • nikkimitchell0810
    Options
    Hi my name is Nikki I am at my heaviest weight of 243lbs and no energy. I want to loose 100lbs by Jan '16 and need support.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    hi just alittle info on the husband. ive lost about 50lb. my husband has probably gained that much! there is almost nothing i can do that can 'make' him want to join me. i cook healthy dinners, but i have 0 control over what he eats at work or when he is out. if someone lsn't ready there is no way to make them join u. it can only derail your own goals. so focus on u. hopefully he sees how much better u feel and wants to join u! im still waiting for that moment, and don't let it ruin my own progress
  • Aniwani32
    Aniwani32 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Add me I need fwends :sweat_smile:
  • dpgalbreath
    Options
    :'( I sure didn't expect that as of today I have only lost 8 lbs. could stress be causing my stall in weight lose ? I haven't lost anything in two weeks, and I'm not cheating I'm staying under my calorie goal. I don't know why I was doing great and losing 1/4-1/2 a day and suddenly nothing. I looked at my nutrition break down and noticed a higher % of carbs and thought that was the problem and got attacked for saying so. A calorie is a calorie they said Instantly they said your not counting right but I was losing and now suddenly I'm not counting right. I'm frustrated but I know I'm feeling better so I can't give up. I'm consumed because I started on 1/31/15 so I have come too far and it has become a habit you know they say if you it at least 21 days it is a habit.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You won't always lose weight each week even though you are under your calories for the week. You will even have some weeks that you gain a few pounds which is probably water weight. I have been bouncing between 240.2 to 240.8 for 2.5 weeks now, but I know I have to keep working and make better choices that I have been (I have had a few too many "cheat" days, or really a lack of focus and motivation) to get back to losing weight.

Use other factors besides the number on the scale to judge you progress because the scale is a liar! I use inches lost, the way my clothes fit, body fat %, and improved fitness to gauge how well I am doing. Much more encouraging and motivating to have to buy new clothes because I have lost inches, or can jog farther or longer than I could when I first started than relying on the scale.
  • tamaera
    tamaera Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hi just alittle info on the husband. ive lost about 50lb. my husband has probably gained that much! there is almost nothing i can do that can 'make' him want to join me. i cook healthy dinners, but i have 0 control over what he eats at work or when he is out. if someone lsn't ready there is no way to make them join u. it can only derail your own goals. so focus on u. hopefully he sees how much better u feel and wants to join u! im still waiting for that moment, and don't let it ruin my own progress

HI all- been a myfitnesspal app user for quite awhile but just recently got started on the forums :) I also have a goal of 100 lbs by next jan - down about 5 so far. Jenn - I am with you about just concentrating on yourself. My hubby and 24 year old son so workout with me alot of the time - but - when they don't feel like working out I just make sure I keep myself in line and do it myself :D We are doing Body Beast and I'm also doing HIIT workouts on a recumbent bike 3 days a week. Even though I'm only down a few pounds i'm feeling way better than I was 4 weeks ago when we started :)