Motorcycle riding

Options
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows how many calories you burn when you are driving a motorcycle? I know it sounds silly but when I google it the interent says about 170/hr for someone weighing 150 pds. It definately would be an easy workout :laugh:

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Guess it must be from the high you get! LoL. What is that website again?
  • Fizzzz
    Fizzzz Posts: 4
    Options
    I've looked this up before and the calorie burn seems to be consistent ie 170/hr for a 150lb person.. I also ride a motorcycle though I'm not sure I would call it an easy burn - depends how you ride I suppose.... :)
  • smeyerdirk
    smeyerdirk Posts: 24
    Options
    I was curious about this also so I wore my bodymedia band while riding my harley and I burned 300 calories during an 1 hour ride.
  • mmildice
    mmildice Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm thinking more of a fun burn. I love rididng a bike and get such a thrill out of it. I just got a motorcycle and am enjoying it very much.
  • mmildice
    mmildice Posts: 63
    Options
    Wow!! that is awesome. I really need to get a HRM and check this out myself too. Did you log that in your activity and if so how did you list it?
  • kignacio
    kignacio Posts: 10
    Options
    Opt for full leathers instead of mesh or textile jackets...should sweat them off faster :).
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    Just had great ride over the weekend to DevilsTower in WY. Maybe I will wear my HRM next time. Then I could compare the calories burned on the bike to calories burned sitting on the couch for the same amount of time for a true comparison. LoL.
  • snowbunnyak
    snowbunnyak Posts: 24
    Options
    What! I never knew you burned calories riding a motorcycle? Why?
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Wait til my hubby finds out this counts as a workout. I will never get him off his motorcycle.
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ya know my husband just got a bike and I never even thought of that as burning extra calories....haha I will have to figure this out!
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    Opt for full leathers instead of mesh or textile jackets...should sweat them off faster :).

LMAO
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's for motorcross - which takes a lot more muscle control than just a regular ride.
  • kignacio
    kignacio Posts: 10
    Options
    What! I never knew you burned calories riding a motorcycle? Why?

Yup. Your body is always burning calories. Even sitting at the computer reading this you are burning calories. As "easy" as it looks to ride a motorcycle you are actually engaging your entire body to move it when it comes to leaning.
  • Refisblind
    Refisblind Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love riding my Harley too but I wouldn't log it. You are always burning calories and your activity level you selected on here takes that into account. So unless you are riding extra hard or motorcross I wouldn't log anything you don't need to. Might give you a sense of feeling you can eat more even though MFP already accounted for those calories. Just my 2 cents.

But enjoy the rides, I know I do.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Only thing I have ever seen noted was "an average of 174 cals/hour" riding. I say don't count them toward your daily totals. You burn calories driving a car, sitting at the desk, reading, etc. right?
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    Only thing I have ever seen noted was "an average of 174 cals/hour" riding. I say don't count them toward your daily totals. You burn calories driving a car, sitting at the desk, reading, etc. right?

I agree (thus my previous comment as compared to sitting on my couch) ;-)
  • jennthebiker
    Options
    I ride at the race track (roadrace not drag strip) a few times a month in a racing environment. in addition to the sweat of full leathers, my heart rate is definitely up when i come off of the track after a 15 minute session. AND... my muscles are always sore the day (or 2 or 3) following. i HAVE to be burning some calories out there! :o)
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    That is different than just cruisin around enjoying the scenery, unless it is really windy (like it is here alot) then you have all that 'isometric/anaerobic' work. First of the season my hands get sore too (from clutching and braking) - the curse of arthritis. So guess I am back to the plan of wearing the HRM again. :laugh:
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Riding even a Harley cruiser like mine can be a physical endeavor. Many times on windy days my arms are tired because i have to use strength and muscles riding you don't in a car per say. You have to tighten your stomach muscles to support yourself in winds if you ride like me NO WINDSHIELDS. Every time you stop you have to support the bike weight with your legs. Your alert level is way higher then in a car/truck. 170 cals an hour seems a fair amount. Also the thrill raises your heart rate in turn burning more calories. If its chilly out your body has to burn more calories to keep your body temperature up.
  • Sarahdangerfox
    Options
    I ride, but I would not consider this a workout unless you are on the track or in the twisties and really working to muscle the bike around. I'm sure it depends on speed (therefore your wind resistance), engagement of the abdominal muscles as well as arms in turns, etc. but I think it's being pretty generous compared to a real workout.