Anxiety eating

Options
Hi! First of all, I'm not a native english speaker, so in advance, I'm sorry for all the mistakes I might make.

So, to the point. I used to think that a was a bored eater, but quite recently I realized that beeing bored is not the problem but one of the symptoms of my anxiety or stress.
So crafting is not much of an option, because when I start feeling down, or angry, or overwhelmed I don't feel like doing stuff... has any of you encounter this kind of problem? I know I should probably start with medical advice, still, not being able to pay for it I would love to hear some of your experiences and help.

Thanks!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I am working on my anxiety too, but I have been seeing a psychologist to help. We have worked on identifying what is causing my anxiety, and coping strategies to help if they come up.
  • MelFallesen
    MelFallesen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know I should be doing that, but over here Psychologists are really expensive
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I wish I had advice for you. I don't...not yet. I try to distract myself with something else like watching TV or playing computer games or coming on here and reading posts, but it doesn't work all the time.

So I don't really have anything useful to add, other than I know exactly what you're going through and I sympathize!

Best of luck!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I feel like I eat at times due to anxiety. I been trying to use hot tea in food place.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps my anxiety. The more intense and the more of it the better.
  • MelFallesen
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! It helps knowing I'm not alone in this race =)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Exercise helps my anxiety. The more intense and the more of it the better.

Agree with this. I sometimes as well use breathing exercises and stretching to calm me down if I can't get outside to exercise.

This sort of stuff works for me (I appreciate it doesn't for everyone, but I recommend giving it a shot even if it hasn't been your cup of tea in the past):

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/relaxation-exercises
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You can go to your regular physician to get a prescription for antidepressants/anti anxiety medication.
    The only other advice I have is count your calories and move your body-you may be surprised at how much better you'll feel.
    Also, doing some kind of volunteer work to force yourself out of the same old rut.
    Seek self help groups- they're free.
  • MelFallesen
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Agree with this. I sometimes as well use breathing exercises and stretching to calm me down if I can't get outside to exercise.

This sort of stuff works for me (I appreciate it doesn't for everyone, but I recommend giving it a shot even if it hasn't been your cup of tea in the past):

It does work for me outside, my inconvinient is that I can't always leave home, and with a toddler is kinda difficult to exercise there, specially when she starts climbing me xD

I do try and breathe and meditate, but I cannot always control myself
  • MelFallesen
    Options
    You can go to your regular physician to get a prescription for antidepressants/anti anxiety medication.
    The only other advice I have is count your calories and move your body-you may be surprised at how much better you'll feel.
    Also, doing some kind of volunteer work to force yourself out of the same old rut.
    Seek self help groups- they're free.

In Argentina the anti-depressants/anxiety can only be prescripted by a psychiatrist, and to get to one you have to be derivated by a psychologist firt... there's a big "anti-anti-depressant" policy that I agree with.
    I'll look into your other options, thanks!
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this as well - I agree with other comments that exercise helps, anything I can do to stop from going into the cupboard and eating everything in sight!If the overeating also stresses you out, you will only make it worse, so try an activity that is healthier. I will clean, take a shower, do exercise, go for a walk - anything to keep me busy and out of the kitchen. Try to remember the extra food won't make the feelings go away, so it isn't worth it, but you can channel that anxiety into an activity other than eating which will help keep you busy until it passes. Good luck!
  • margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all, I'm not a native english speaker, so in advance, I'm sorry for all the mistakes I might make.

So, to the point. I used to think that a was a bored eater, but quite recently I realized that beeing bored is not the problem but one of the symptoms of my anxiety or stress.
    So crafting is not much of an option, because when I start feeling down, or angry, or overwhelmed I don't feel like doing stuff... has any of you encounter this kind of problem? I know I should probably start with medical advice, still, not being able to pay for it I would love to hear some of your experiences and help.

Thanks!

Get a digital scale. Weigh yourself everyday in the morning before you eat without clothes.
    Tell your brain NO to eating more! Repeat this often.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Get a digital scale. Weigh yourself everyday in the morning before you eat without clothes.
    Tell your brain NO to eating more! Repeat this often.

This won't help your anxiety. If anything, that would make it worse. Ignore this.

As other people have said:

Exercise - you can do bodyweight circuits at home if you can't get out, or put on some music and dance with your toddler. Stretching Yoga videos http://www.doyogawithme.com/

Tea - every time you want to stress eat, have a cup of tea instead. Tea is very calming and it provides you with something to put in your mouth, too. This worked well for me when I was tackling my emotional/stress eating.

And breathing exercises, meditation. Distract yourself with cleaning (I find cleaning helps my anxiety because it gives me a sense of control).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Chew gum and drink tea or coffee. Were it not for those things I'm sure I'd be big as a house.