Healthful Hippies?

Options
BlissfulYoga
BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
Do you consider yourself a Healthful Hippie? Why? Have you been called one but don't necessarily think you are one yourself or haven't given it much thought? (you are who you are!)

Just curious and thought it would start some chatter!

Replies

• KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Haha!! I was just quoted in the local paper about the idea of carbon labeling to help consumers decide on smart ecofriendly purchases. That day, I was supervising the recycling center at the Earth Day celebration here in Nashville, which the reporter mentioned in the article. I DID sound like a dirt-worshipping, tree-hugging hippie!!! But it's not that far from the truth, so I'm going with it!!! Probably more accurately decribed as nature girl, but not that different, is it? :happy:
  • christianmom509
    Options
    I have read several of your posts. I have a few questions if you don't mind.... I have a 7 year old son who has never eaten meat. He will not eat any meat products. Now that he can read he looks at all the labels. I am not vegetarian nor is anyone in our family. He however is. He compares eating a cheeseburger with eating your dog. To him it is the same. I guess this may be the mindset of lots of vegetarians. He feels so strongly about it that he doesn't even want to watch us eat meat. We support his beliefs and will never force him to even try it but he does catch flack from some of his peers. How would you reccomend he deal with the peers his age that don't understand why he will not eat cheeseburgers or chicken nuggets. I think sometimes he feels like the odd man out.
  • BlissfulYoga
    Options
    Hiya! Well, it does seem like he's a strong boy and stands his ground at an early age! That's neat! I'm sure there are thousands of ways to handle things or things to say in this case but I think by being himself and standing firm in his beliefs is the perfect start! It's an ongoing process and as the days go by all veg*ns learn more and more about different info and education and health facts to have in there pocket when people ask about it.

When I first started I was a teen and knew that I was in the minority but never really thought much of it because it was something I wanted to do and was firm on it. I knew it wasn't the "norm" and realized LOTS of people would ask me questions about my choices until the end of time. I just try and continue to learn, ya know?

I know there are a lot of in-your-face vegetarians out there. I'm not saying their right, wrong, or indifferent, it's just not really my style...I guess...I just wait until they ask and then have a civil conversation about it. Not sure if that is help at all...

:)
    I have read several of your posts. I have a few questions if you don't mind.... I have a 7 year old son who has never eaten meat. He will not eat any meat products. Now that he can read he looks at all the labels. I am not vegetarian nor is anyone in our family. He however is. He compares eating a cheeseburger with eating your dog. To him it is the same. I guess this may be the mindset of lots of vegetarians. He feels so strongly about it that he doesn't even want to watch us eat meat. We support his beliefs and will never force him to even try it but he does catch flack from some of his peers. How would you reccomend he deal with the peers his age that don't understand why he will not eat cheeseburgers or chicken nuggets. I think sometimes he feels like the odd man out.
  • christianmom509
    Options
    Thanks for the insight.

I want to be supportive of whatever he does. I thought that it was just a phase when he was younger but I feel now it is stronger tied to his conscience. He is very outspoken about it. I kid my husband that we will be forced to dig him out of the rainforest when we are in our 80's but everyone has a mission in life I guess....LOL
  • BlissfulYoga
    Options
    LOL
    Yeah...my parents thought it was a phase when I was 15! almost 18 years is a pretty long phase! No...but seriously...that's awesome that you are so supportive! That's great!
    Thanks for the insight.

I want to be supportive of whatever he does. I thought that it was just a phase when he was younger but I feel now it is stronger tied to his conscience. He is very outspoken about it. I kid my husband that we will be forced to dig him out of the rainforest when we are in our 80's but everyone has a mission in life I guess....LOL
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My family calls me a Hippie all the time and I don't know that its a compliment but I don't care either. Among my parents and siblings I am the only one who buys ANYTHING organic lol. I shop local, I shop the farmer's markets...I recycle...I compost...I am not 100% vegetarian but the manner in which animals are cared for and "processed" bothers me...so I buy free range and organic if I am going to eat it...same with eggs lol. I don't have a processed food free diet (I try my best) but my mom thinks its wierd that everytime I buy something (bread, chips, crackers w/e) I turn over and read the ingredient list and actually look up the items that I am unsure of what they are. Lets see...I use homemade or all natural cleansers/detergents in my house that are eco friendly and child safe...my mom thinks thats silly too because "we grew up with clorox and turned out fine". I made everyone in my family watch the Cove lol! I cry every time I see it...lets see...I am switching to Melaleuca products in order to have an easier time shopping for natural/non caustic/environmentally sound products. Their motto is Clean Home Clean Streams Clean Conscience. Plus it supports the local economy...I live in Idaho and the company is based out of Idaho Falls and most of their products are made right here and in the USA with the exception of a few items that come from Canada...nothing imported from China! Thats important to me. So yea...people give me slack but whatever...I care! So what! :D
  • veganhoneys
    veganhoneys Posts: 34
    Options
    I think it's amazing that there's a little boy out there in the world who refuses animal products based on compassion and common sense! Good for him! That's so inspiring! I have no idea what you should tell his peers, but I know I would want to tell them that he is the smartest little boy I've ever heard of. His critical thinking skills put the pieces together in a way that most children can't fully comprehend if it's explained and laid out in front of them. His empathy and compassion toward animals is something that I still sometimes struggle with from time to time. It's great that you're so supportive too. There's a great book called "The Vegan Lunchbox" that might help to ease cafeteria differences. And the book "The Bond" is a good read to better understand human's inherent connection with and compassion toward animals. When he is old enough I would get him a subscription to VegNews magazine- it has helped me tremendously to feel less alone in the world. Knowing that there are millions of other people who think like I do is helpful when I (still) get teased and gawked at by peers. I hope this helps.

PS- I am a granola-munching, vegan-shoe-wearing, reusable bottles and bags or bust, tree-hugging, earth-loving hippie and proud!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Knowledge is power. I highly recommend getting some books about being vegetarian. It will help you son feel confident when other kids question his eating habits. It will also help you understand your son's dietary choices better as well. Here are some books I found that look helpful.

Raising Vegetarian Children : A Guide to Good Health and Family Harmony

A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian

I'm a Vegetarian: Amazing facts and ideas for healthy vegetarians
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My family calls me a Hippie all the time and I don't know that its a compliment but I don't care either. Among my parents and siblings I am the only one who buys ANYTHING organic lol. I shop local, I shop the farmer's markets...I recycle...I compost...I am not 100% vegetarian but the manner in which animals are cared for and "processed" bothers me...so I buy free range and organic if I am going to eat it...same with eggs lol. I don't have a processed food free diet (I try my best) but my mom thinks its wierd that everytime I buy something (bread, chips, crackers w/e) I turn over and read the ingredient list and actually look up the items that I am unsure of what they are. Lets see...I use homemade or all natural cleansers/detergents in my house that are eco friendly and child safe...my mom thinks thats silly too because "we grew up with clorox and turned out fine". I made everyone in my family watch the Cove lol! I cry every time I see it...lets see...I am switching to Melaleuca products in order to have an easier time shopping for natural/non caustic/environmentally sound products. Their motto is Clean Home Clean Streams Clean Conscience. Plus it supports the local economy...I live in Idaho and the company is based out of Idaho Falls and most of their products are made right here and in the USA with the exception of a few items that come from Canada...nothing imported from China! Thats important to me. So yea...people give me slack but whatever...I care! So what! :D

lol oh my god sounds so much liek me :) I am the total granola eating tree hugging hippee :) I get bugged but I love being a health and environment dork!
  • jaycee624
    jaycee624 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am in my late 50s now and lived the hippie movement in the late 60s>>70s. I even remember the very first Earth Day celebration! Ever since I read Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" in high school, I have always been one to think about our everyday actions and how they impact our environment.

I am at the point of my career where, for the most part, can afford to purchase organic produce, and use earth friendly cleaning products, fertilizers, etc. It's a shame that the good stuff has to cost us so much, but I would rather give my hard earned money to small, independent dealers and store owners than giant corporations.

Now during the summer months, I'm the crazy lady who picks up litter on the beach. The ocean has enough crap in it without adding some careless beachgoer's lunch bag or plastic bottle added to the flotsam. I even SWIM out to floating litter and bring it to shore to a garbage can. Luckily, I am at the age where I don't care what people think of me!!! Healthful Hippie? Proud to be one.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Wow- your son is only 7 and yet he is so AMAZING! I too have felt like this alot in my life...frankly, I like animals more than people. I have been vegetarian since I was 14..it's been 20 years..although in 2004 I started eating fish and seafood. I sometimes feel guilty about it too. It is actually inspiring to hear that someone so young has the same thoughts ....I always try to explain it to my husband etc.. I say there is a holocaust of animals going on and nobody cares! That's how I feel, like for some reason us humans think animals are for us to own...it makes me sad on a daily basis knowing that so many animals are treated so poorly..and so many people don't educate themselves or care.
    The best thing you can do..is support him for his own authentic thoughts! I know my parents were not very supportive and would often sneak meat into dishes and tell me it was vegetarian..then I eat it and know right away.
    AS far as him and his friends, well, they will just learn that he eats differently from them..and maybe it stir some questions in their head as well..what is truly living with compassion etc.
    He is just a darling..that I know!
  • DancingYogini
    DancingYogini Posts: 377
    Options
    Me me me!!!! Vegetarian, organic eating, recycling, composting, tree hugging, yogi and mama to 3 (2 are veg). My son went veg at 8, and has never looked back. He is 13 now and is about 5'5" and super healthy. My daughter was also 8 when she decided to go veg (she is my most tender hearted baby), she is now 10 and healthy and strong. My husband and youngest are meat eaters, but I only buy local and clean, and rarely. I do eat eggs and milk products, but again only local and clean (and super expensive...shouldn't it be the opposite??). I love to cook, so we get balanced meals. We are putting up our garden, and we compost. I would love to get some chickens!! My kids go to an Expeditionary Learning school (based on Outward Bound), so being a hippie is the norm there :flowerforyou: So no teasing for alternative beliefs, or choices!! Otherwise I would be homeschooling. I also use baking soda and vinegar for most of my cleaning...I love that there are so many of us here :drinker:
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    frankly, I like animals more than people.

I can totally understand this a lot of days :)
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    I am in my late 50s now and lived the hippie movement in the late 60s>>70s. I even remember the very first Earth Day celebration! Ever since I read Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" in high school, I have always been one to think about our everyday actions and how they impact our environment.

I am at the point of my career where, for the most part, can afford to purchase organic produce, and use earth friendly cleaning products, fertilizers, etc. It's a shame that the good stuff has to cost us so much, but I would rather give my hard earned money to small, independent dealers and store owners than giant corporations.

Now during the summer months, I'm the crazy lady who picks up litter on the beach. The ocean has enough crap in it without adding some careless beachgoer's lunch bag or plastic bottle added to the flotsam. I even SWIM out to floating litter and bring it to shore to a garbage can. Luckily, I am at the age where I don't care what people think of me!!! Healthful Hippie? Proud to be one.

I was walking my dog the other day and totally picking up beer bottles people had thrown out their windows! I should bring a bag next time lol not enough hands to carry all the trash from thoughtless people
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no not a hippie.

but everyone knows i'm the healthy one..the fitness girl...lol
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    People say I'm a bit of a hippie.

I love nature and believe that if we can recycle then why not? Most people around me reply with "The government get enough of our money to do it themselves, why should we recycle and pay them for it?"
    It's not about who does what in my opinion it's to do with each household or singular person and what they can do. If enough people thought like the us in this thread the world would be gleaming!
    I can't stand animal cruelty, it makes me cry my eyes out, people that hurt animals in any way are sick sick people :(
    I love animals more than people without a doubt. They don't do anything to deserve to be treated with disrespect and cruelty the way they are. My pets get treated like royalty because they deserve it for being such fantastic creatures!
    I'm thinking about working for an animal shelter or RSPCA when I can to help these poor animals. It would break my heart to see things like that everyday but to know you've saved an animals life would be such an amazing feeling.

I try to buy organic whenever I can but it's so expensive compared to the "normal" stuff and me and my partner just can't afford to do that right now.
    I LOVE the outdoors, if I could live outside I would :)
    I am an amateur photographer and try to catch all of the beautiful things around me. I think I see things others don't see when it comes to the world and beautiful things within nature.
    I absolutely love trees! i am an actual tree hugger! My boyfriend thinks it's weird that I point out how beautiful a tree is. He's like "yeah I see what you mean but a tree is a tree babe"

wow love this thread. I think this confirms I definitely am a hippie and so proud that it's me!
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    People say I'm a bit of a hippie.

I love nature and believe that if we can recycle then why not? Most people around me reply with "The government get enough of our money to do it themselves, why should we recycle and pay them for it?"
    It's not about who does what in my opinion it's to do with each household or singular person and what they can do. If enough people thought like the us in this thread the world would be gleaming!
    I can't stand animal cruelty, it makes me cry my eyes out, people that hurt animals in any way are sick sick people :(
    I love animals more than people without a doubt. They don't do anything to deserve to be treated with disrespect and cruelty the way they are. My pets get treated like royalty because they deserve it for being such fantastic creatures!
    I'm thinking about working for an animal shelter or RSPCA when I can to help these poor animals. It would break my heart to see things like that everyday but to know you've saved an animals life would be such an amazing feeling.

I try to buy organic whenever I can but it's so expensive compared to the "normal" stuff and me and my partner just can't afford to do that right now.
    I LOVE the outdoors, if I could live outside I would :)
    I am an amateur photographer and try to catch all of the beautiful things around me. I think I see things others don't see when it comes to the world and beautiful things within nature.
    I absolutely love trees! i am an actual tree hugger! My boyfriend thinks it's weird that I point out how beautiful a tree is. He's like "yeah I see what you mean but a tree is a tree babe"

wow love this thread. I think this confirms I definitely am a hippie and so proud that it's me!

I do fostering for teh NBSPCA :)
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    How do you find it?
    I don't think I would be able to do fostering animals as much as I'd love too. We have 3 animals at home already. 2 cats and a dog and the cats don't really like intruders!
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    i really enjoy it....I have a dog and 3 cats of my own. The dog loves t when i bring him new "friends" to play with hehe Might take a break for a bit though since it does take a bit of time and i"m gettign pretty busy.
  • jaycee624
    Options
    That's the spirit! :)