Dealing with siblings eating my stuff?

Options
13»

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Drive him out to the woods. Leave him there. Done.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Take something he owns and that he loves, and flush it down the toilet or break it with a hammer.

lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thirteen year old boys eat lots of food. Get your parents to buy snacks and readily available food for him to grab.
  • SuperGalSam
    SuperGalSam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean for thi is to turn into a debate, sorry guys. To make a few things clear;

Parents do buy fruit and vegetables for everyone, I just buy my own because I am trying to become more independen t.

I do pay for room and lodgings.

I've told my brother he can share my stuff, I have also grown up in a household where everything is to be shared. But as I said, it's just the fact he has to eat it all in 10 seconds flat before I get a chance.

I understand it's just his age. I appreciate he will eat everything in sight. Plus he's VERY active so his body must crave it all. But as stated above, the family has fruit, veggies, chocolate and cupboards and fridges full of stuff. He doesnt go without.

I am currently saving for a mortgage to move out, unfortunately that's gonna take a little bit of time :)

Thank you for all your replies, :)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Also thank you for everybody elses replies! :) I'll keep it all in mind. I'll try talking to my parents again...

I just finished this conversation with him
    Me; It's really important to me that you don't eat my stuff. I'm really trying to lose weight and I can't do that if I only have crap stuff to eat.
    Him; You wont ever be able to lose weight!

Thanks for the confidence, bro!

But anyways! Thanks again guys! :D
    Okay, yeah - I'm going to have to agree with the knee to the nuts suggestion.

• SuperGalSam
    SuperGalSam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Also thank you for everybody elses replies! :) I'll keep it all in mind. I'll try talking to my parents again...

I just finished this conversation with him
    Me; It's really important to me that you don't eat my stuff. I'm really trying to lose weight and I can't do that if I only have crap stuff to eat.
    Him; You wont ever be able to lose weight!

Thanks for the confidence, bro!

But anyways! Thanks again guys! :D
    Okay, yeah - I'm going to have to agree with the knee to the nuts suggestion.

He says worse things every day, I've learned to take it with a pinch of salt. He's mean to everyone haha I'm sure he'll grow out of it! :)
    But a kick in the nuts wouldn't do him too much harm every now and then! Haha
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    if he's going to be disrespectful enough to basically say "screw you, I'm going to continue to eat what you've bought for yourself because you're not going to lose weight anyway"....several good ideas have been brought up.

1. start taking things of his.....if you feel guilty, keep in mind that depending on what it is, you can always give it back later. just give him plenty of time to miss it.
    2. "treat" your food with a little extra something. I know someone at work who used to get their lunches stolen all the time. It was a big place. Hundreds of employees...very hard to nail the culprit. So, one day he laced his food with ex-lax. not only did this find them out quite quickly (gosh, that guy is running for the bathroom pretty fast...and often) but also served as a punishment that made them think twice. His lunch was never stolen again.
    3. I'd suggest a mini fridge in your room. with a lock on it. they're usually not terribly expensive and can fit a fair bit when you're just one person using it. For now though, stuff like apples don't actually have to be refridgerated, so you could keep those in your room.

• 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have five brothers. Growing up they were always in the kitchen eating everything that was bought. My parents would buy treats or other such stuff that they wanted all of us to keep our paws off of. So, in order for that to happen, my dad would come home from the store with bags and bags of food and 2-3 bags always went upstairs to their room. They had a mini fridge and a small bookshelf for it. Under no circumstances were we allowed to enter and partake. I am in the boat that you should get a mini fridge for your room and keep your snacks in there. 13 yr old boys are bottomless pits and if its in sight, its fair game. Unfortunately, they also don't think beyond "wow that looks really good and I am starving". :/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I've just started trying to eat healthier, I live with my parents and have siblings in the house. I've been buying myself healthy snacks to snack on (such as fruit, nuts etc...) but I'm having the problem of my 13 year old brother eating all my stuff?
    We have family food in the cupboards, but it's all crisps, chocolate, biscuits etc... Which he is welcome to eat(I can't snack on these, obviously.) yet he still seems to thinks it's okay to eat my stuff? I don't mind him taking the odd apple, grapes etc... But he can't just do that. If he starts eating grapes, he'll eat the lot. If he has an apple, he'll have to have 3. I can't afford to keep buying myself this stuff if he's going to eat it all! :(

Now, I've tried sitting him down and asking him politely and he says he won't eat it...And then within the next hour he's eating it again! I've asked my parents to ask him, yet he still won't listen.

Is there any way I can go about this? :(
    Mini fridge in your own room (locked of course). That or take money out of his piggy bank or ask mom to give you his allowance (if he gets one) to cover the costs.
    I had this problem when I was still living at home at 19 and my brothers keep eating my food that I bought.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Is it possible for you to get a weekend job to buy your own extra food? Unless you can talk to your parents, since talking to your brother isn't helping. Super frustrating. Explain to your parents you're trying to make healthy changes and ask if they could help you manage the situation. If not, I guess the only option is to make your own money.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    spacelump wrote: »
    Is it possible for you to get a weekend job to buy your own extra food? Unless you can talk to your parents, since talking to your brother isn't helping. Super frustrating. Explain to your parents you're trying to make healthy changes and ask if they could help you manage the situation. If not, I guess the only option is to make your own money.

making her own money isn't the issue....since she did say this food is what she bought for herself, she's already done that. and asked her parents to talk to him...he's just being disrespectful and taking it from her anyway
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Honestly, in my house growing up, it was like an episode of some kind of Survivor reality show. If you wanted to HAVE food, you had to hide it. We had very little money and so had an extremely tight food budget, and whenever my mom bought anything, no matter what it was, my older brother (who I highly suspect had binge eating disorder) would eat the ENTIRE grocery shopping haul in ONE DAY. Entire bags of bread, whole jars/bags of cheese, sweets, boxes of cereal, everything. In. One. Day.

Our only solution? Everyone in the house who was working had to buy their own fridge and ration our food. Yes, seriously. As the only one (of the children) working at the time, I bought extra groceries on top of what my mom could afford, refrigerated them in my room, and rationed it out to my other siblings and my mom. When I had to leave my room for any reason, I had to lock it and keep the key with me at all times. It was THAT bad.

While it doesn't sound like you have a situation of that enormity.. Buying a tiny fridge to keep in your room and lock your fruits etc. in wouldn't be a bad idea. If you do so, you can still share food with him if you choose to--He just can't take it without asking.