Is sugar intake reasonable?

Options
Hi guys!

Just wondering, recently I have added the 'sugar' column to my food diary and have been shocked at how far over I have gone over it.
MFP have set me a target of 24 sugar (I am assuming grams but not sure?) but today for example I am at 71? that is TRIPLE what MFP suggests for me?

What is the recommended sugar intake for the average woman? Am I consuming way too much or is the goal low that I have been set?

I ate an apple today n that was 16 sugar... so thats 2/3's gone already.. on an APPLE?!

Any explanation would be grateful

Emma :)

Replies

• Steveeee
    Steveeee Posts: 62
    Options
    bump
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump.

I can't even have a yogurt without going over for the day...
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump...I was just thinking about this same thing!
  • yojibalinese
    Options
    Remember that this is REFINED sugars. Fruits don't count, just the processed stuff.
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    I seen a lot of people say bump. I have no clue what that is, can some one please tell me :)
  • DallasLeann
    DallasLeann Posts: 44
    Options
    My sugar is 36, but I don't have any problem staying under that goal. I eat a lot of sugar free items though.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Remember that this is REFINED sugars. Fruits don't count, just the processed stuff.

Exactly, it's too bad MFP cannot determine the difference. Just watch your processed sugars (so look at food items individually as you add them) and it is recommended you have only 2 servings of fruit a day.
  • Kaybird84
    Kaybird84 Posts: 12
    Options
    I seen a lot of people say bump. I have no clue what that is, can some one please tell me :)

I'm wondering the same thing - glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know what it is :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

B/c they don't have a specific comment to say about the topic but they feel the thread is important enough to get bumped back to the top of the thread (which is what happens when you post) and/or they want it to appear on their profile so they can refer back to it later.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, just like fat is fat, calorie is a calorie.
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_sugar.php
    Everything in moderation.
    :flowerforyou:
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I always go over as well.. but the sources of sugar in my diet was coming from fruit and grains etc. Still I hated to see that big red number everyday. So I just took sugar out of my list of things to track and now track sodium
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think "bump" is like "ditto"...you repeat the question. Read your labels for grams of sugar...don't include fruit!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    'Bump' means 'bring up my post' and I may catch alot of poo for this but sugar is sugar.......just ask a diabetic. There really is no difference between the sugar in an apple and table sugar except for that with the apple you get nutrients along with the sugar your body will process them both the same way (just maybe the apple sugar will take longer??). Some people say it doesn't count if it's from fruit others will say it all counts, it all depends on how you feel about it. You decide if it matters to you if it's in the red everyday :)
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options

Is that true? I wouldn't have guessed so. I don't watch sugars in my main chart so I don't know for sure. The truth is that Americans in particular eat WAY too much sugar. It's in every processed food we eat (unless it contains artificial sweeteners) and so I'm not at all surprised you're going above your sugar counts if you're not cooking all your meals from scratch.

Does that mean the MFP value is invalid? That's for you to decide. Educate yourself, here is a good lesson to help you put it in perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM It's a long video but don't let that put you off, watch the first 10 minutes and see if you don't want to watch the rest of it.
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have heard very often that getting rid of belly fat has alot to do with SUGAR in take.:grumble:
    I want to get mine down to a reasonable level... and I have pretty much cut out 'refined' sugars, unless they are in a protein bar or something. With that and fruit, sometimes I at at 75 grams a day!!! Thats almost as much protein.

I know the difference between the 2 sugars... just wish someone could advise on how many grams is good, with regards to loosing belly fat AND with regard to refined and fruits. :huh:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the sugar from the apple. You should be worried about the sugar from the cooking sauce, cake and the mini eggs.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I can never stay under my numbers in sugars. The recommended daily intake of fruits and vegetables is 9 servings. I don't see how you can eat that much and stay under. I am diabetic and even when I stay under for my carbs, I almost always go over for my sugars. I think you would have to really restrict your food intake to stay under the sugar intake MFP recommends.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options

I'm wondering the same thing - glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know what it is :)

it means that they want to save the post to look at later to see what people say. it is a way to track a post without commenting on it!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have read many books on all sugars, ill explain my findings.
    sugar is sugar to your body. Fruit has fructose, fiber and other nutrients that are good for you, but if you consume a lot you will get bloated thus looking pudgy. Apples have a lot of sugar in it so you need to look for size, they ones we usually see in stores are too large and are more than 1 serving. If your gonna do fruit do 2 servings a day, and try to eat it after a good workout.

Now mfp gives you 24gr, not bad at all...you do not need to be consuming so much sugar anyways. For the average person it should be no more than 35gr a day. The 1 sugar that is very helpful in weight loss is lactose (milk), so dont be too scared of it as a long as your diet is in shape and your working out a good amount a week.

Do your own research because you will get many answers.