birth control and weight loss

Options
a recent post to one of my threads brought up the subject of hormones playing a factor in weight loss. i am on the IUD (mirena) and have noticed that although i have not drastically gained weight compared to other forms of BC (i.e. pills or the patch), i am having trouble LOSING the weight. any others who are experiencing the same issue? esp. those who are also using the mirena? i'd like to know if there is a way around it or if i should get off it altogether.

Replies

• otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know more about this. I'm getting mirena in a week.
  • muzicgurl02
    muzicgurl02 Posts: 31
    Options
    I take bc and noticed that I gained some weight with the pill. I talked to my doc about it and she switched me to a lower dose. The weight will come off with time, proper nutrition and exercise. Talk to your doctor and see if he or she has any advice for you. Good luck ;-)
  • mbollman
    mbollman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth: I gained a lot of weight very quickly after having the Mirena put in...and found it IMPOSSIBLE to lose. (Plus I felt like junk while I had it in.) I gave it a year and 25 pounds, and decided to take it out. Then I got serious about losing the wieght and it came off quite easily. I'm down over 30 pounds from eating less and exercising (nothing drastic). Some people I've talked to seem to like it, but I did not have a very good experience with it.
  • kignacio
    kignacio Posts: 10
    Options
    For what it's worth: I gained a lot of weight very quickly after having the Mirena put in...and found it IMPOSSIBLE to lose. (Plus I felt like junk while I had it in.) I gave it a year and 25 pounds, and decided to take it out. Then I got serious about losing the wieght and it came off quite easily. I'm down over 30 pounds from eating less and exercising (nothing drastic). Some people I've talked to seem to like it, but I did not have a very good experience with it.

congrats! may i ask how long it took for you to lose all that weight? and what was your routine like? i guess i'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons of it...yes removing it would probably make it easier for me to lose weight, but do i want to risk getting pregnant? hmmm...
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    mirena not only made me gain weight but it caused a cyst on my ovaries and caused me to have 2 major noticeable bald spots on my head, blurred vision, and lumps in my breasts. I dont recommend mirena but ive heard plenty of people that do. I have no luck with finding a pill or anything that doesnt make it as hard to lose. If im on no bc i lose weight like everyone else if im on any form of bc i typically cant move my weight or only very very very slowly. Like 1 lb a mth. I would talk with your doc.
  • malx21989
    malx21989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    a recent post to one of my threads brought up the subject of hormones playing a factor in weight loss. i am on the IUD (mirena) and have noticed that although i have not drastically gained weight compared to other forms of BC (i.e. pills or the patch), i am having trouble LOSING the weight. any others who are experiencing the same issue? esp. those who are also using the mirena? i'd like to know if there is a way around it or if i should get off it altogether.
    I have had mine since last December, I had my baby in October. After I had her I weighed 230lbs, I now weigh 203lbs, I havent really tried to lose weight until March and from March to now I lost 27lbs, so if you really want to you can lose the weight.
  • kignacio
    Options
    mirena not only made me gain weight but it caused a cyst on my ovaries and caused me to have 2 major noticeable bald spots on my head, blurred vision, and lumps in my breasts. I dont recommend mirena but ive heard plenty of people that do. I have no luck with finding a pill or anything that doesnt make it as hard to lose. If im on no bc i lose weight like everyone else if im on any form of bc i typically cant move my weight or only very very very slowly. Like 1 lb a mth. I would talk with your doc.

i couldn't agree with you more! i am moving at a very, very slow pace. my patience is wearing thin because i am working out 4-6 times a week and am generally good w. my nutrition 75% of the time. i guess i'll be taking a trip to the doc soon.
  • angelaplaxton
    Options
    I Still have the Merina in my closet in the giant box in came in.
    I chose spacifically not to take the Marina because of the blood in our menstration change, it was up to 3 months even 5month
    that females where complaining that they had their menstration for that long!! weight gain is expected in any b.control.
    With our hormones changed from a b.control we automatically feel different.
    Thats just how it is. I've looked into over 30 b.controls because i didn't agree with any.. and i kept searching. so many have questionable leads to breast cancer, cervical cancer... ect.
    I'm currently on the NuVa Ring, and so far so good. Check it out..
    As always read the panflit and be sure its right for you.
    I'd recommending taking the Merina Out, and using standard b.control until you are happy.
    Why use a b.control you arn't satisfied with until you find one that you agree with?
    Nuva Ring has been great!! I high recomend it.. there's a coper ring too, that one is suposed to have
    heavy mentstration and massive cramping.. to me that just sounded horrible to go through just to avoid pregnancy!
    Msg me if you have more questions!

:flowerforyou:

PS be kind to your body, b.controls are sketchy because of the hormones in them.
    also for your peace of mind, have your thyroid checked :wink:

ALSO: the NUva Ring is great because it doesn't disolve into our bodies, its only releseing the bit in our AReA to
    tell the sperm to go away.
  • kignacio
    Options
    I Still have the Merina in my closet in the giant box in came in.
    I chose spacifically not to take the Marina because of the blood in our menstration change, it was up to 3 months even 5month
    that females where complaining that they had their menstration for that long!! weight gain is expected in any b.control.
    With our hormones changed from a b.control we automatically feel different.
    Thats just how it is. I've looked into over 30 b.controls because i didn't agree with any.. and i kept searching. so many have questionable leads to breast cancer, cervical cancer... ect.
    I'm currently on the NuVa Ring, and so far so good. Check it out..
    As always read the panflit and be sure its right for you.
    I'd recommending taking the Merina Out, and using standard b.control until you are happy.
    Why use a b.control you arn't satisfied with until you find one that you agree with?
    Nuva Ring has been great!! I high recomend it.. there's a coper ring too, that one is suposed to have
    heavy mentstration and massive cramping.. to me that just sounded horrible to go through just to avoid pregnancy!
    Msg me if you have more questions!

:flowerforyou:

PS be kind to your body, b.controls are sketchy because of the hormones in them.
    also for your peace of mind, have your thyroid checked :wink:

hmm i guess i'm one of the people who did not experience the 3-5 month menstruation period. that's crazy! i haven't had mine in two years (but then again it is mentioned in the mirena pamphlet about that happening, or NOT happening for that matter). i have been on the nuva ring but i did not like it b/c of "certain" side effects. both the patch and nuva ring caused me to gain a lot of weight (20-25 pounds in less than a year) however w. the mirena i only gained about 12 pounds in a matter of two years (that could also be due to my stress levels and nutrition). so it's not so much about the weight gain but rather it affecting my efforts at weight loss.

thanks for the thyroid tip, i've never gotten that checked before so it would be good to know where i stand w. that!