Work lunches- quick and easy

Options
mrem3
mrem3 Posts: 12 Member
Looking for new lunch ideas. I need something easy and quick. I'm stuck in a rut of left overs, snacks type food or a wrap. What are some of your favorite lunches when your squeezing it in to your busy work day?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    - Get a 3lb. bag of chicken

- crock-pot ALL the chicken for 8 hours, on low, with your favorite BBQ sauce, salsa, or hot sauce.

- After 8 hours, remove chicken only. You can keep the breasts whole, or shred it for sandwiches, wraps, salads.

- Very easy, cheap, and quick.
  • beautybeatzbylisa
    Options
    I love making a batch of quinoa for the week for my lunches.
    here is a video of the salad I make with it for the week it's my favorite !! as my protein I add in a hard boiled egg or avocado it's super yummy let me know if u try it out :) you can find the ingredients in the description below the video
    http://youtu.be/Qt4hZy-TyeI
  • beautybeatzbylisa
    Options
    - Get a 3lb. bag of chicken

- crock-pot ALL the chicken for 8 hours, on low, with your favorite BBQ sauce, salsa, or hot sauce.

- After 8 hours, remove chicken only. You can keep the breasts whole, or shred it for sandwiches, wraps, salads.

- Very easy, cheap, and quick.

that sounds good I will try that :) thank you for ye tip

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I grilled three pounds of chicken tenderloins last night with a little bit of season salt, and cubed them up after they were cooked.
    Today I'm going to have some with hot sauce, tomorrow I will add to a salad, Wednesday I will wrap up with some vegetables and salsa in a tortilla and I haven't figured out the rest of the week yet. I tried cooking some all in the same sauce and eating them all week, but I got tired of the flavor really quickly.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I second the chicken. I don't crock pot it though, I just cut it in bite size pieces and sauté in a pan. Over the weekend I did that, when the chicken was cooked I added chopped up (small pieces) of bell pepper and onion, salsa, and black beans. It was pretty good I thought. My boyfriend thought it was weird but whatever. I also added some avocado chunks bc I love avocados.

That will probably be my lunch item for the next week or so until I get bored and want to do something else.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I snack at my desk. Baggies of carrots, snow peas, almonds, walnuts, broccoli, cauliflower, roast garbanzos, apples, oranges, boiled strips of chicken with seasoning, pop top cans of Genovo Tonno (tuna) with seasonings, Triscuits, slices of cheese, Chobani plain non-fat yoghurt, Quest bars, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest leftovers. How do you get in a rut of leftovers? Do you frequently eat the same things for dinner.
  • bonekicker
    bonekicker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My go-to meal is chicken as well. However, if I fry it or bake it in the oven, it's just not that great the next day.. it dries out and tastes like paper, cause I avoid using any oil, if I can. I got tired of that so I tried boiling it.

Put a couple of skinless and boneless chicken breasts in a pot, add 1,5 liters of water, 1 chopped carrot (large), some garlic (whole, not chopped), a few black peppers (whole, not ground), a bit of fresh parsley (no chopping), add salt if you wish. Let the chicken breasts cook for about an hour, or less, depending on whether you chopped them into smaller pieces. Just cook until the meat is done :) The veggies I mentioned add some flavour to the broth.

Grab a sieve and pour the broth into a different pot and add some vermicelli. DO NOT try to make a proper vegetable soup out of it though - i tried adding some cabbage and potatoes, but for some reason it did not taste good. The broth only works by itself or with some vermicelli.. :) That's dinner sorted :)

Remove the chicken breast pieces (dump the other ingredients) and eat them now or save them for tomorrow, but the trick is to place the meat in a container with a lid as soon as possible so the meat will remain juicy. Add it to salads or sandwiches.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    On Sundays I chop/prep:

500g romaine (2 heads)
    10 oz. baby spinach
    500g cucumber
    500g tomato
    500g carrots
    500g celery
    250g red onion
    300g chicken breast
    6 Hard-Boiled Eggs

Each morning, I throw 1/5 of all the veggies together into a bowl, add either 100g broiled chicken or 3eggs(1 full, 2 white), and a to-go cup of 1.5oz Ken's Lite Dressing. If it's chicken day, it's 415 calories. Egg day is 385. Once the prep work is done on Sunday, each day takes less than 5 minutes to prep.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    On Sundays I chop/prep:

500g romaine (2 heads)
    10 oz. baby spinach
    500g cucumber
    500g tomato
    500g carrots
    500g celery
    250g red onion
    300g chicken breast
    6 Hard-Boiled Eggs

Each morning, I throw 1/5 of all the veggies together into a bowl, add either 100g broiled chicken or 3eggs(1 full, 2 white), and a to-go cup of 1.5oz Ken's Lite Dressing. If it's chicken day, it's 415 calories. Egg day is 385. Once the prep work is done on Sunday, each day takes less than 5 minutes to prep.

Your chopped spinach, cucumber, tomato, etc. don't get mushy on days 4 and 5? What sorcery is this?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Leftovers from dinner the night before :)
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This week I made a pot of chili and portioned it out over 5 days. Having this with a cheese snack and a naval orange. Other weeks I make a batch of soup that I have with raw fruits/veges on the side or 5 salads of some type for the week. I don't mind eating the same thing for lunch all week, makes calculating calories simple and the prep work is done in a couple of hours at most.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Red quinoa is typically the base of all my lunches. I cook on the weekend and put the food in individual jars for the week. Just think of what flavors you like and the possibilities are endless. A few of my favorites are turkey curry quinoa, buffalo chicken quinoa, and pineapple chicken quinoa. I have no recipes really, just make it up as I go. I try to stuff as many veggies into each dish as possible.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If I am having a low-cal day, I will have a Jimmy Dean delite breakfast sandwich - turkey sausage, egg whites - only 250 calories and good amount of protein.

I love eggs more than the avg person tho.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    On Sundays I chop/prep:

500g romaine (2 heads)
    10 oz. baby spinach
    500g cucumber
    500g tomato
    500g carrots
    500g celery
    250g red onion
    300g chicken breast
    6 Hard-Boiled Eggs

Your chopped spinach, cucumber, tomato, etc. don't get mushy on days 4 and 5? What sorcery is this?

You caught me. I tend not to cut up the cucumber or tomato until I'm combining the other veggies each day, but the rest of the stuff stays crispy enough. I eat the baby spinach whole, so no chopping there.
  • mrem3
    mrem3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest leftovers. How do you get in a rut of leftovers? Do you frequently eat the same things for dinner.

I guess I just get bored with leftovers. Also, they aren't always the healthiest. Cooking for a family of 5, we still throw in pasta dishes or calzones to keep the kids happy once in a while.

Thanks for the good ideas! I'll start planning and prepping.
  • jennbo83
    jennbo83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My go to go for work has been hard boiled eggs and strawberries, although I tend to eat that for breakfast. I also bring salads to work for lunches. I change it up by adding in chicken or tuna or a left over protein from the night before. I make it easy by preparing all the veggies at the beginning of the week and then I just need to throw it together.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I cook chicken and veggies on Sundays and eat them all week....I do a variety of diff types of chicken and veggies so I dont get bored
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I often just have a huge garden salad with a side of 4-6 ounces of some kind of lean protein and 1/2 an avocado and a boiled egg...sometimes I have a sandwich...often this time of year I make big soups and stews on the weekends so leftovers of that is always good too.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    On Sundays I chop/prep:

500g romaine (2 heads)
    10 oz. baby spinach
    500g cucumber
    500g tomato
    500g carrots
    500g celery
    250g red onion
    300g chicken breast
    6 Hard-Boiled Eggs

How does 100g of chicken with veg contain 415 cals?