200 plus

Options
darthgeg
darthgeg Posts: 6 Member
Hello my name is Greg. I was a bit reluctant to come onto the message board, but I thought it would do me some good to get some of this out in the open. I am on a goal to lose 200 pounds or more. I know that is quite a huge chunk to try and bite off, but I am now reserved to the fact that indeed it is one day at a time. My last weigh in I topped the scales at 424. For the first 25 years of my life I hovered around 200 pounds until the stress of being a parent and a husband took hold and I turned to junk food for relief. I wont bother you with all of the gory details, but 15 years later here I am and facing this big uphill climb. I've tried dieting before mixed in with exercise and manged to drop upwards of 50 pounds only to put it back on when faced with another crisis. I'm not going to let anything stop me this time.

In November I am going to be a Grandfather for the first time and i want to be able to run around and play with the little one. I know this is going to be an uphill climb but I am only going to face it one day at a time. I'm going to drop my calorie count at first and then filter in the exercise by walking when I have a few pounds taken off. I used myfitnesspal for a week now and i am finding it very helpful and motivating. I cant wait until someday I can walk into a store and buy any item of clothing I want, because it fits. Send me a friend request and we can compare stories. Good luck to all of you and thanks for reading.

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am shooting to lose around 100 pounds....would be happy to have you as a friend ... feel free to add me
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    best wishes with reaching ur goals :) congrats on becomin a grampa :D thats awesome xxx
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Welcome! One day at a time is right, no matter if you have 10 pounds to lose or 300! You've found a VERY supportive place to be. You will meet your goals, just take one step forward and keep going!! :)
  • Refisblind
    Refisblind Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Greg - I wish you all the best of luck. This is a great community to keep you going as long as you keep on going. The key is one day at a time. When you have those bad days just get on here and read the success stories. That always helps me. Im always amazed when I watch the Biggest Loser and see guys lose the weight you are talking about. Remember it wont be quick. Set yourself mini goals. No moret then 3 pounds a week. Those are goals you can hit and keeps the confidence up. Good luck
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place. Everyone here is very supportive. Good luck. And congratulations on the upcoming grandbaby. My first one will be here next month!
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good for you Greg! It sounds like you are already being proactive, and I think your motivation (a grandkid on the way!) is a good one to ensure success. You will find a lot of support here.
  • aharmeson
    aharmeson Posts: 55
    Options
    I have an uphill climb as well i have to loose 70lbs would like to share ideas and progress with you. Add me if you would like.
  • HealthyEscape
    HealthyEscape Posts: 255
    Options
    You've made the 1st major step - admiting that you need to change. The rest will be hard work, but I believe in you!

One piece of advice is to not focus on the 200 that you have to lose. Rather, break it up into 10-15 lb workable goals. This will help you keep your motivation and give you something to push for!

Good luck in your journey! I myself have 100+ to lose and after an on-again/off-again relationship with my dedication, I am 100% committeed to myself and those around me to lose it for good!

You can do this. YOU ARE WORTH IT!
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Great job taking the first step...recognizing that you need to do this for your health. Stress can really wreak havoc on one's life...whether we choose to eat, drink, or smoke. I agree with earlier posters...whether it is 10 lbs or 300 lbs...you can do this! Take the weight in small increments...it makes it easier to chew. There have so many success stories on these pages, look to those people for inspiration. This is definitely the place to be...best of luck in your journey. We are rooting for you!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You can do this grandpa! No matter what the goal big or small.. MFP is definitely an encouragement! You can add me if you'd like! :wink:
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hey man, the first step is admitting you have a problem. You can do it. There are people on here who have lost over 100 lbs and are still losing. There is a wealth of info on here to help you. Just be careful because while most things posted on here are true some people on here post things without checking the facts. Before you follow anything I would suggest you do some futher research for yourself. The biggest thing you will need to do is find out what healthy foods you enjoy that will also keep you full. Once I started tracking my calories I found that if I eat mostly protien in the morning (like an omlette) and then some more protien and fiber for lunch (like Progresso Chicken Tuscany soup) it helps control my hunger through the day. But that is what works for me and it may not work for others. If I have yogurt and fruit or oatmeal for breakfast I tend to be hungry through the day. So my advice would be to try some differnet things and track it so that you can develope the plan that works best for you. Good luck.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome...first step taken and you CAN do this and if you believe that you WILL do it.

one quick bit of advice, when setting up your ticker set it to show you how much you have lost, not how much further you have to go. I think when you have a lot to lose its just too daunting...I had 99lbs to lose, I didn't want to see that every time I logged on. I will change mine to lbs to lose when I get to the last 14 lbs tho I think

Good luck
  • gingerpus99
    gingerpus99 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We all have our own struggles but we don't have to struggle alone.

I'd be pleased to support you on your journey.

Add me as a friend and we'll travel together !
  • darthgeg
    darthgeg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much all of you for all your kind words of encouragement and motivation. You all are truley a blessing and I am now more motivated than ever. I like the idea of putting small goals intermingled with my ultimate goal. You all brought tears to my eyes with your kind words. Thank you all.