Breakfast before workout or...?

Options
I've never liked eating breakfast, but I've been forcing myself to. I know 'they' say you should eat within half an hour of getting up to boost your metabolism. My problem is then I end up skipping my workout because I have to wait for my stomach to settle (it's not used to eating in the morning) - and the morning is the only time I really have to work out.

Do you think it would do me much harm to my metabolism to workout before breakfast?

Replies

• shrekk218
    shrekk218 Posts: 39
    Options
    BUMP
  • kml07071
    kml07071 Posts: 29
    Options
    Before workout i have a banana and half a cup of OJ sometimes so that my stomach has something in the AM when i wake up. Then i workout, shower and eat the rest of my meal. I am not a big breakfast person especially being in a college dorm it is hard to get up and make breakfast when there is limited space so i at least eat some fruit or something that should start your system more than nothing
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I always work out before breakfast because I don't want to exercise with food bounding around in there. This puts me at eating breakfast anywhere from 1 to 2 hours after actually crawling out of the bed.

If you really want to eat immediately upon waking, maybe you can eat just a few bites of it to get your tummy up and running, do your exercise, then go finish off the meal afterwards?
  • ross_t
    ross_t Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I run in the morning at the gym and it upsets my stomach to eat before a run. I have had good results working out early and then eating breakfast after.
  • Dee1006
    Dee1006 Posts: 37
    Options
    I don't think it will. I also many times have worked out before breakfast and am losing weight. Just don't wait to long to eat or drink anything after your workout. Something high in protein is best. Hope that helps! Good luck :)
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue...only work out in the morning and I need time between food and exercise...recently I have started having a small cup of tea and a piece of fruit before I workout, probably 30 mins between the food and actual exercise..so far I've been fine like that..although I don't begin my workout with anything high impact. Also I feel like I am getting an "extra" meal because I then eat breakfast after the workout...something more substantial...like oatmeal etc. A post workout meal is very important. Metabolism is up after the workout so the calories tend to get torched instead of stored when you consume them within 30 minutes after the workout. Seems to be having the desired effect as I am better able NOT to over eat at lunch, which is where my problems always began...good luck.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    I exercise early in the morning. I will generally just have my coffee and a slice of wheat bread with peanut butter before the gym.

I have my "real" breakfast after: protein smoothie with fruit and yogurt mixed in, oatmeal and a banana. This is sort of a combo of breakfast and post-work out recovery.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast! I eat 1/2 cup of All Bran with skim milk and MUST eat this before a workout otherwise I would feel faint and nauseous.

That being said, I work out in the evening except for weekends. Saturday morning I have my cereal, go to a spinning class then have a protein shake w/ 1/2 frozen banana to make it all thick like a milk-shake (but still only 220 cals & its HUGE!) afterwards.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've heard both sides of this argument, and while there's compelling reasons for adopting each, I will say that whether or not you eat before you work out, you absolutely should eat something AFTER, preferably a mix of protein and carbs. The protein will help you recover from your workout and the carbs will help give your body energy and replenish your glycogen stores.

As for eating before, I suggest experimenting- try eating before your workouts for a week and then go the next week without eating. Make note of how you feel, how well you perform, etc. then take it from there.
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    If you are only doing cardio first thing in the morning, it is actually better to do it on an empty stomach. You have depleted carbohydrate stores in your muscle while you were asleep so your body begins burning fat faster. And as for your metabolism...working out gets your metabolism going as well. Immediately following your workout...you should have breakfast...something high in lean protein and complex carbohydrates. If you are lifting weights, you need to eat before so you have the strength to lift heavy enough weights that will benefit you. Hope this helps.
  • istoleyourgoat
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate all the thoughts on this! It's for this reason I've skipped my workouts entirely in the morning the last two weeks and have intended to do them in the evening - I'm just so burnt out from the day by then that I never actually do it!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    If you are only doing cardio first thing in the morning, it is actually better to do it on an empty stomach. You have depleted carbohydrate stores in your muscle while you were asleep so your body begins burning fat faster. And as for your metabolism...working out gets your metabolism going as well. Immediately following your workout...you should have breakfast...something high in lean protein and complex carbohydrates. If you are lifting weights, you need to eat before so you have the strength to lift heavy enough weights that will benefit you. Hope this helps.
    bump
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've lost ALL of my weight so far without eating breakfast before my workout. I've read conflicting studies about which way is correct but I stick to the theory that I don't want to eat and go to the gym just to work off what I just ate. I'd rather go to the gym and burn off "stored" fat. :flowerforyou:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I eat very light pre workout. It may be a hard boiled egg, a protein bar or a handful of almonds and dried cranberries and juice with flax seed powder. However, I make it a point to eat breakfast following my workout, usually eggs