Has anyone tried making kale chips?

Options
HeatherMae09
HeatherMae09 Posts: 6 Member
ive tried and have yet to be successful. I need to do something with all this kale!

Replies

• missmelis98
    missmelis98 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wash and dry very good. Drizzle with small amount of oil. Massage in. I go very light on oil. U can always add more if needed. I season with salt pepper and garlic and bake at 375. Stir around every few minutes but make sure they are always in a single layer. U dont want them to steam. Bake until crispy and just a bit brown on the edges.
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    I have, and they're so good. Make sure you cut them stems out all the way up and they crisp better. I drizzle with olive oil and toss very well, then add garlic, salt, pepper, and sometimes a little parmesan cheese.
    I bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes (my oven is off so it's probably like 415, it torches stuff!) and then flip and do another 10-15.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I wash the kale then trim the bigger stems out, throw it in a bowl, drizzle olive oil, salt (i like it spicy so i add some cayenne also) and mix it in really well. Spread it on a sheet pan and bake until crisp. It cooks really fast so don't go far
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I actually just made them for the first time this past weekend and they're great!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I use my salad spinner to help dry them off + the tips above.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Love kale chips!! I make them in my dehydrator too but it's much quicker in the oven as mentioned above. I've also experimented with making swiss chard chips and they turned out pretty tasty - great way to eat a lot of the more bitter tasting greens. Also if you grind it down into a powder makes a nice seasoning and replacement for salt on other dishes. :)
  • katrinapri
    katrinapri Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love making kale chips they're so delicious
  • HeatherMae09
    HeatherMae09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ThAnks everyone!
  • gusinott
    gusinott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I live homemade kale chips (tips as given above), and while we're at it, ever try cauliflower "popcorn"?
  • gusinott
    gusinott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    live=love
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oil is key or its like Kale dust. I use olive oil as well.
  • MrsBowen952015
    MrsBowen952015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The best kale chips are done on a dehydrator. It takes a lot longer so you have to plan ahead but I do the same as AshC garlic powder, cayenne pepper if you like a little spice. I usually don't have enough room in the dehydrator for the whole bunch so I make a little pan in the oven but the dehydrator is always better. YUM I love kale chips!
  • runsmallx
    Options
    I'm glad other people have had luck, the last time I made them they burnt. :\
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    tried last night, burned to a crisp. Fail! lol Will try again and really monitor.
  • claireHelena
    claireHelena Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What is cauliflower popcorn? sounds interesting...
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Made them. Ate them. Hated them. Tasted like I was eating ashes.
  • jessicasim92
    Options
    There's a great Doritos style kale chips recipe on the sidechef app.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I used to grow kale because I liked the look of it, but I never liked eating it. I like kale chips even less and will be glad when the trend has run its course, which I think it will. I'm with Yayamom -- it's like eating ashes.

Now, sweet-potato chips -- those are lovely.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I spray with olive oil and sprinkle with dry ranch mix (the kind that comes in packets) then bake. They come out delicious!
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ky4y1n0vxddt.jpg

It took me a few tries to finally get kale chips correct. Above is a picture of my latest batch, my Love kills for them!! I was always over oiling them or had the oven on too high. Try putting parmesan cheese in them and baking for longer at a very low heat. If you cook them incorrectly they will taste like ash but if you properly season them they are very good.

Also, if your over chips, try using the kale as a stuffing. I love putting it in chicken breasts.