Office Workers: What do you do during the day to keep acive?

Options
13»

Replies

• jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Do 4 sets of 25 squats in the shower before work . Try to run at work 3 to 4 days out of 5.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Bang my head on the desk over and over and over and over. The concussion really helps my appetite, too.

Ha! Attach your fitbit to your head and you can count those as steps!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Bang my head on the desk over and over and over and over. The concussion really helps my appetite, too.

I always wondered how many calories it would burn before I ended up with a concussion.
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just got up from my desk and walked the long way around to the kitchen to get myself a cheese stick. Steps is steps.

You're so funny. LOL
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I have a sit down, stand up box which is very helpful. I also lobbied successfully for workout room. I spent Saturday working overtime to get it all set up. We also have scheduled stretch breaks every morning and afternoon. Occasionally, I get up and take laps around our stockroom. Really anything that gets me up and moving helps.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I stand at my desk all day.
  • Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I sit on my *kitten* at a desk for 8+ hours a day and don't incorporate any type of activity and don't have an issue...as long as you are exercising optimally at other times of the day it shouldn't matter if you aren't doing something during that time.
    However, if it is because you WANT to try to incorporate something then see the above replies because (I personally) focus on work at work and have enough to deal with for that.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Walk to the furthest bathroom down the hall or go downstairs, find excuses to walk down to the store, try to take at least a 30 minute walk every day (we can walk in or outside).
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

And, if I'm alone in the office, I say screw it to work and pace back and forth until I'm no longer alone. :smile:

Bahahahaha!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. I work in a small office of around 10 people. Most of the time its just me and the boss man. He'd never let me out of this chair if he had a say. So when they are gone, I pace my small hallway (our building is a whopping 900 sq ft single level). I wish the bathroom trips worked for me. If I had an umbrella, I could hit the bathroom door with it from my chair. LOL. I try to stand at my desk when I can and try to move around at lunch. I go home on my lunch hour so I usually clean something while at home.

Edited to add: I do focus on work as well. :smile: I'm not so lucky as to get structured 15 minute breaks twice a day. So my feet can go numb from sitting for a 5 hour span if I don't get up consciously and move myself. Mainly I walk the building when no one is here so I don't distract anyone. I doubt my boss would get seriously upset if he knew I took 5 minutes here and there to stretch my legs. At least he better not. LOL!
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this! I am stuck in a cube in an office with half walls for as far as the eye can see. I do a lot of the things others have posted such as drinking lots of water so it forces me to get up and go to the restroom. I also try to go to the furthest place I can think of in our building to refill my water cup. When it is warm outside I have a co-worker I will go outside and walk with for 15 minutes or so. I don't really take a lunch break or many breaks through the day, so, the vast majority of my activity is in the evening.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    There are YouTube workout videos for office workers (type in 'office workout' and you'll get a bunch of videos. There are a lot of isometric exercises that can be done at your desk. Personally, I like just getting up and taking a walk around the building and taking the stairs when I can.
  • alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Living in Minnesota means the weather sucks a good part of the year. If it's not nice enough outside to walk then I will use the stairs and hallways. I usually will go down a flight of stairs then down the hall to the other staircase and kind of zig-zag my way down to the ground floor then back up. I do this for at least 20 minutes and the little burst of stairs helps get my heart pumping! Plus with the stairway being fairly vacant I can sneak in some body weight squats or lunges!

I also managed to get a standing workstation and just standing all day makes me feel like moving around more!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Outside of a regular exercise program, while at work, you could try running stairs at work.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Standing desk, our office made a goal to go to each other's offices and talk face-to-face instead of phone or email whenever possible, central printer/copier we all use in the hallway, Wellness Walk with office 1.5 miles each Friday.