Coconut Milk Substitute

Options
bunnywestley81
bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
I wondered if anyone had any good low calorie coconut milk substitute for use in thai curry and the like?

I seem to have gathered a lot of various interesting pastes I really want to have a go with!

Also...whatever I use (even if I keep the coconut milk) would need to freeze well...I make large batches so I have minimum cooking in th week!

Ta!

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I often use the light coconut milk from Trader Joe's. I honestly think it's just watered down coconut milk but it's fine for curries. Nothing beats a high quality full fat version, but if you're watching calories it will do.
  • bunnywestley81
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm sure i can find a uk equivalent ;)

Had a disaster today with low fat greek yoghurt...it curdled! Managed to sieve it out but bah! Spose i learned a lesson.
    Tikka masala paste + yoghurt = gross!!

Why did it go so wrong?! I mean people put cream in these things! Its not *that* different surely...

Have tom yum, Malaysian and thai green curry pastes left to experiment with!

Probably with yoghurt if any as a condiment for cooling properties...

• Losewhey8
    Losewhey8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really don't see a problem with lite coconut milk. There are more and more articles stating how good coconut is for you. I even started using coconut oil in my stir fry's. I have used greek yogurt to make white sauces for shrimp pasta dishes and they turned out great but never for thai cooking. Thai curry dishes really need that coconut base for taste.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Oh that's interesting - I have had good luck using yogurt in Indian dishes. I would think it would have been okay with tikka masala.

But yes, I bet you can find light coconut milk in the UK. Sorry for giving a US specific brand option.

This makes me think though that if you can't find light coconut milk, buy the regular version. Simply use less of it (half a can, maybe), and add some broth or water to get the consistency you want. It still won't taste as wonderful as a take-out curry, but it will be pretty good :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've often been told to use light evaporated milk with a dash of coconut essence, or even a coconut flavoured light evaporated milk, however I have consistently found that they taste OK but curdle in the dish. I tend to use the light coconut milk and water it down a little.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the cashew milk out now. I haven't tried it in a curry yet, but I have replaced everything else with it and it's fantastic!
  • VixLeo
    VixLeo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're in UK Blue Dragon do a light version
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I often use the light coconut milk from Trader Joe's. I honestly think it's just watered down coconut milk but it's fine for curries. Nothing beats a high quality full fat version, but if you're watching calories it will do.

+1
  • bunnywestley81
    Options
    Next time I'm out shopping i shall look for light coconut milk :) my asda is a tad shocking for its "world food" selection sadly!

Saying that, i did enjoy the not quite tikka masala!!

Am thinking perhaps i added the yoghurt at the wrong stage...stirring in at the end may have been a better way!!
  • shwetha1304
    shwetha1304 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Light coconut milk is a good option. You could also try using half a can of coconut milk with half a can of chopped tomatoes into a tikka instead for a healthier option. If you like drier Indian dishes my mum always used to use tandoori paste mixed with yoghurt as a chicken marinade then stick it in the oven for half an hour which was delicious and healthier again. Hope that helps!
  • ThisGirlWins
    ThisGirlWins Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm sure i can find a uk equivalent ;)

Had a disaster today with low fat greek yoghurt...it curdled! Managed to sieve it out but bah! Spose i learned a lesson.
    Tikka masala paste + yoghurt = gross!!

Why did it go so wrong?! I mean people put cream in these things! Its not *that* different surely...

Have tom yum, Malaysian and thai green curry pastes left to experiment with!

Probably with yoghurt if any as a condiment for cooling properties...

I've used greek yogurt in curry plenty of times but it does tend to curdle if you put it in when the curry is simmering/boiling. I wait until it's thoroughly cooked and ready to eat then turn the heat off, let it stand for a couple of minutes, then stir the yogurt in.

If you still have no luck then yeah...light coconut milk or creme fraiche?
  • bunnywestley81
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

Given some good options for me to try!

It can be a learning curve this cooking and switching ingredients malarkey! :D
  • DA965
    DA965 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is good for you. Keep it in.
  • bunnywestley81
    Options
    I do not think a thia green curry is gonna be a thai green curry without it to be fair but these things are good to know and its fun to experiement.

Oddly i hate coconut. Dont even like the the smell! Tho u cant really taste the coconut over spice in curry so thats ok. And i also cannot abide peanut butter or peanuts unless they're not messed about with.

I ADORE satay sauce made with...coconut milk amd peanut butter. Chili garlic and ginger too. But mainly coconut milk and peanut butter.

Go figure that one...
  • starystel
    starystel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Blue Dragon do a light coconut milk, also Sainsberrys and tesco so their own make here in the UK!
    Use it for my red Thai curries
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Cashew milk is good.