Restrictive meal plan from PT

Options
13»

Replies

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My two cents... as a personal trainer myself. Personal trainers are not registered dieticians. Unless they are also a RD, it is outside of our scope of practice to provide meal plans, which means you are basically taking joe schmoe's advice on how to eat.

As a trainer we are trained to correct form and technique and create fitness programs (this could also be debated depending on the certification.... but that's a whole different topic) nutrition IS something that they would have a very small background on IF they have a degree in exercise science. If they just took the weekend training... or an online training course then there's no guarantee that there was any nutrition classes. However, meal planning is still way outside of what we are trained to do.

For my clients I tell them flat out, I am not an RD therefore I cannot provide you with meal planning. I can make suggestions on how to tweak your diet, and you are welcome to bring in a food diary and have me look through it. But I cannot, nor will I ever give you a written out plan for food.

Personally, I would find an RD to work with in conjunction with your PT if you are looking for a meal plan. Otherwise, work with your TDEE and pay attention to your macros. The plan that they gave you is not something that I could follow myself. Not only because it's just not enough food, but because it's so outside of what my husband would eat that I'd have to make two separate dinners for us, and I ain't got time for that!

PREACH! I'm studying to be an RD and thinking about working with PTs in this capacity (IE, get referrals for questions that are nutrition related). There are some meal plans out there that are RD certified, try blogilates for one that is about 1500 calories/day. PM me if you want to chat!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the "everyone should eat this way" diet from a broscience PT.

My advice: Eat 500 calories under your TDEE. Have a macro split of 40/30/30 and just hit it hard in the gym each time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Your PT can not be followed ever. You can not continue it even a weak. To lose your weigh you should join a fitness club first and then you should consult to a dietitian for a proper diet plan that can help you.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I also started out as super obese with 200 lbs to lose… and that eating plan sounds horrible to me. I would never be able to stick with that. If that's the kind of food you like… fine. But, it's completely unnecessary to lose weight. Eat a variety of foods that you like within a moderate calorie deficit (Use MFP's recommendations, or figure out your own from IIFYM or a similar site). Personally, I avoid PTs who give nutrition/diet advice. With few exceptions they know no more about nutrition than what they would have learned in their high school health class and they usually have their own agenda that has nothing to do with your goals. The trainer that I am working with now has given me the best diet (using the broad definition of eating plan) advice of anybody I've found. He knows my goal is to lose weight… so he told me that 90% of that would be done in the kitchen and he suggested I use MFP.
  • daltonjsmom
    daltonjsmom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    One benefit to this kind of a diet is that you will lose your carb cravings rather quickly, if that is an issue for you. One person mentioned as long as you limit calories you can eat whatever you want. While that may be mathematically accurate, I would not consider it as actual advice. I consider MFP to be a tool to help me change my lifestyle for healthy living. I personally make a smoothie most mornings with protein powder, greens, fruit, and coconut water kefir. I also take a number of supplements, including fish oil, chlorella, spirulina, and many others. This is MY choice as a vegetarian with a number of food intolerances and under the guidance of my doctor. I feel good about it, but would probably have completely rebelled a year ago if someone had told me I had to. I started slowly and made one healthier choice at a time as I felt comfortable doing so.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Im really surprised hoe many peopke have said 150g of protein is alot. That's only 6 oz! I can EASILY eat that, and actually consider it to be a relatively small portion.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Im really surprised hoe many peopke have said 150g of protein is alot. That's only 6 oz! I can EASILY eat that, and actually consider it to be a relatively small portion.

I am not aware of any foods that contain anywhere near 150 grams of protein in only 6 oz's? I think you might have to re-evaluate how you calculate your protein intake.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    2534d1363088845t-hood-piercing-makes-orgasm-better-zombie-thread.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options

6 oz of meat does not have 6 oz of protein. Because water and stuff...
  • Piranascuisine
    Piranascuisine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the 4:3 diet? Or the 5:2? Intermittent fasting is the way to go!42997434.png
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    What does this hack have against egg yolks? Omega 3's from fish oil is okay but omega 3's from eggs are not?

Rigger
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

I am not aware of any foods that contain anywhere near 150 grams of protein in only 6 oz's? I think you might have to re-evaluate how you calculate your protein intake.

Ummm..... 150grams of protein IS only about 6 ounces of protein. If using 150g of chicken breast that's only 248 calories and 47 grams of protein (if weighed after cooked).