The "Try A New Veggie or Fruit a Week Club"

Options
2»

Replies

• allimax2002
    allimax2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey yall! This week hubby and I tried Chayote squash. It's kind of like regular summer squash but its bright green and looks like a pear. Which hubby almost mistaked it for--boy that would have been a shock if he bit into it! :-) I diced up the squash and sauted in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and spiced up with some Mrs. Dash, pepper, and any other spice that looked good from the cabinet and a bit of lemon juice. It sort of took a while to cook (longer than I expected, tho I could have diced it smaller). I ended up putting a lid on my pan so it could "steam" a little and get a bit softer. I served it as a side dish, took about 45 in all with the dicing and cooking and what not. We enjoyed it and would totally get it again. And it was pretty cheap, I paid about $.70 a piece for them and one each for me and the hubby was a plenty with the other stuff we had. We are really having fun with this trying of new items thing!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! I don't think I bought anything new to try this week, nuts!
  • macasadiam
    macasadiam Posts: 5
    Options
    Ok, I'll do it with you. I love vegies and there are some that i wanted to try, just don't know how, so this will motivate me to do it. let you know more later.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll do it with you. I love vegies and there are some that i wanted to try, just don't know how, so this will motivate me to do it. let you know more later.

Awesome!

I forgot if I've shared my love of jicama here. It's so good! Nice and crunchy and a little sweet. I'm also someone who likes to eat raw rutabaga though lol! Either one, peeled, sliced, with a little salt for a great snack!
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Thanks for all the suggestions!!
  • loseitwisely
    Options
    Great idea! I was the "bad kid" that never ate my veggies, and now I LOVE THEM, however I am stuck on the traditional ones. I would love to join in on this new adventure!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I love trying new things and there are some fun ideas here. I'm having FIDDLEHEADS for lunch today! They are fresh picked and yummy with a little cidar vinegar on them.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I love fiddleheads!! I look forward to them all year. So yummy sauted in a little garlic and olive oil.