Suddenly High Cholesterol & Underactive Thyroid ... oO

Options
Arliah
Arliah Posts: 266 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So I just got a call from my doctor saying that my blood work came back pretty wacky. High cholesterol (which I've NEVER had) and also low thyroid levels (also a first).

I am kind of stunned, don't quite know what to make of it, and I am really not happy about it. I also don't know what could have caused it. I mean, I know what can cause high cholesterol, but I've had red meat maybe ... what, three times in the past 45 days? I eat eggs, but mostly egg whites, and also not every day. I don't eat/drink full-fat dairy (my milk is 1%, yogurt is fat-free). The only thing I could maybe see is the parmesan cheese I eat (not every day, and if I eat it it's usually 1 or 1.5 oz). I stay away from packaged food, cookies etc, so I really have no idea what could have caused this change. I've read that too little iodine in a diet can cause hypothyroidism ... I don't salt my food, but I have a hard time believing that too little added salt could be the cause.

I also don't have any trouble losing weight; my hair has been a bit coarse, I've been cold (but hey, it's freaking winter!) and I've been a little constipated, but other than that I feel fine ... actually, I've felt better in the past two months than I have in the past two years.

I don't log my exercise, but I go to the gym 2-3 times a week.

I am kind of at a loss here, so I am wondering if anybody has experienced a drastic change in their blood work. My diary is open, feel free to browse around (disregard the large meal yesterday, it was a celebration). Maybe I've been doing something wrong and just don't know it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Soooo...first?

I'd go get tested for celiac disease. It can sometimes cause thyroid issues, people with hypothyroid/hyperthyroid issues are in a higher risk category for it, thyroid issues can mask symptoms of it, and with a sudden change like this, it's not a bad idea to at least get the blood test. Although most doctors are pretty ignorant about the disease and may not know that it IS a good idea. I've got a family with three generations of celiacs, now, and we all struggled to get diagnosed because of this.

That said, the bad news: high cholesterol is very common in people with autoimmune disorders, and doctors do not know why. I have a really good diet in terms of cholesterol friendliness, and my cholesterol is always high because of my disease.

So if your thyroid has changed due to a developing autoimmune hypothyroidism, that could explain it. Not much you can do, in that case, though.

And the next thing i'd say - I would get online right away and start learning about the thyroid. There is disagreement in the endocrinologist community about what a healthy thyroid is, what the best tests are, even what test results are supposed to be, and so on. It's a problem that you'll probably need to be very proactive about and do a lot of research on your own to be able to make a good informed decision on what your doctor suggests.

Although one thing you might want to explore is a low carb diet. In a recent study, when they followed two groups - one low carb, and one low fat (but only to the current recommended fat levels) - the low carb group had improved cholesterol by the end of it, in terms of good vs. bad cholesterol. So that might be worth exploring.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20100802/low-carb-diets-improve-cholesterol-long-term
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yes the hypothyroidism explains the high cholesterol. Vitamin D deficiency and high blood sugar are also things to watch. I found lowering carbs more effective at controlling my cholesterol levels than lowering fat. good luck -You are not alone.
  • Arliah
    Options
    Thanks for the input!

I don't have celiac disease (was just tested for that shortly before Christmas) .. I have a ton of other food allergies/intolerances, but none of them have just developed in the past year or so.
    As far as the carbs go: My macros are 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. That's already a lot lower on the carb side than it used to be, but I will look into it. Would be really hard for me though, and in general I get most of my carbs from veggies and fruits. Don't eat much bread, let alone processed stuff like cookies etc.

Vitamin D deficiency ... I can't speak to that, I would have to ask the doctor if the blood work showed anything like that. Don't have high blood sugar (those values were just fine in my blood work).

It's just so weird and so puzzling oO
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    First get your thyroid taken care of... Then be concerned about high cholesterol. Hypo can drastically affect your cholesterol levels.

Next, dietary intake of cholesterol and fatty foods has very little to do with serum levels. While eating a very fatty meal with loads and loads of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol will elevate your postprandial levels, this should clear within a couple of hours. The big thing that will elevate fasting cholesterol levels--outside of genetic factors--is forcing the liver into a state of de novo lipogenesis. There are two big causes of this: 1) alcohol. 2) consumption of to many carbohydrates that are digestible to glucose (or fructose, sucrose, maltose) outside of what you are able to readily burn off immediately. This is because once your glycogen stores are full the cells will no longer uptake glucose. This will cause the liver to convert glucose to fat hindering normal fat metabolism. The liver will pump out triglycerides, then form LDL from this in the form of a small cell LDL. HDL drops, triglycerides increase, LDL increases. Your LDL receptors in the liver are bad at picking up small cell LDL keeping this at a persistently high level.

This is just an FYI.

• Arliah
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I don't drink alcohol, so that can be ruled out. Not quite sure what I could do about the fasting cholesterol levels. I'll make sure to ask my doctor. Thanks again for the input. I tend to stress out about things like that and am just really worried right now.
  • punchgut
    Options
    Arliah wrote: »
    Thanks a lot! I don't drink alcohol, so that can be ruled out. Not quite sure what I could do about the fasting cholesterol levels. I'll make sure to ask my doctor. Thanks again for the input. I tend to stress out about things like that and am just really worried right now.

Doctors are notoriously bad with the etiology of hypercholesteriemia and lipid metabolism. This is changing, recently the U.S. government changed their dietary guidelines regarding cholesterol. They are finally admitting that dietary intake of cholesterol has little to do with fasting cholesterol level. They are slowly moving towards dietary fat isn't bad, depending on the fat source, but this will be a decade off before they finally admit fully.

Fix the thyroid issue first. This alone may correct everything.

Now a simple guide to fix your fasting cholesterol levels if you do not have a genetic disorder:

One caveat: If you are in a state of actively losing weight (fat weight), then your fasting triglycerides and cholesterol will be high. It is necessary if you're burning fat. You cannot do that without high serum levels.

Here's the recipe. Change your macros to protein enough to maintain muscle (0.8g/LBM). Move fat up (45%) and carbohydrates down (25%). Make sure your fats are from good sources (fish, extra virgin olive oil, ghee, ruminant animals preferably grass fed). No vegetable oils or any seed oils they are heavily oxidized, which opens up a whole mess in lipid metabolism. In order to increase HDL, you need to eat fat and preferably small, medium and long chain saturated fatty acids in that order of preference.

If you want to geek out on lipid metabolism, add me and I can spend all kinds of time over PM directing you towards current research.
  • Arliah
    Options
    Ok, so it could be because of the active fat burning? I am losing about 1 lbs a week and my BF is going down steadily.
  • punchgut
    Options
    Ok, so it could be because of the active fat burning? I am losing about 1 lbs a week and my BF is going down steadily.

Generally, you need to be quite overweight and burning a lot of fat in order for this to effect fasting levels. Based off your profile photo, I would say this is unlikely and more to do with your thyroid and the high contribution of carbohydrates to you diet. It's really hard to not force yourself into de novo lipogenesis with a 45% carbohydrate load. You really need to be working that off all the time to avoid that issue, which is very hard to do.
  • Arliah
    Options
    Ok. Thanks. Sorry, as I've said, it's the first time this had happened. What's puzzling to me is that this problem has occurred sometime after I actually reduced my carb intake. Before I started on the macros I mentioned above, my carb intake was probably close to 60%, fat around 15% and the rest protein (I am guessing here based on my previous diet, which was all low fat and barely any meat).
  • Arliah wrote: »
    I tend to stress out about things like that and am just really worried right now.

Do Not Panic. Listen to your body and trust your instincts.
    This was the best advice I got when I went Hyperthyroid and anemic.

First, you may just want to get retested. Mistakes can happen and other factors may have just caused a wacky reading. You absolutely have the right to ask for this, be listened to and get this done.

Although I can't speak on hypo...I really benefited by reading "Living well with Graves' Disease" by Mary Shomon.

She also wrote this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Living-Well-Hypothyroidism-Revised-Edition/dp/0060740957

The book "The Thyroid Solution" was also recommended to me and helped a bit, but I really, really got so much from the Shomon book.

I ended up visiting an endo but DID NOT follow his advice. Based on what I had learned from all the reading I did as well as what I knew about myself - I made specific diet changes, started incorporating visualization and breathing exercises and I also began donating blood (which felt right for me to do because I felt like my blood was "poison" for me...but figured someone with a normal functioning thyroid could handle my excess T4 and T3. I read and followed all American Red Cross guidelines for donating so as not to cause harm to anyone else or myself). I also started with least invasive to most invasive treatments, those that felt right to me even if I had never tried them before and even if my doctors didn't think they would work. I had an excellent experience with reiki and learned more about chakras (because as I read about the endocrine system I noticed that they totally align with chakras...coincidence?). I began talk therapy and found I had a lot of things I needed to get out. (The need to talk about something can "mess up" your throat chakra, thereby affecting thyroid).

I also felt incredibly self-conscious about doing all of these things that others (and myself) might not think are "real" or credible. But ultimately, I did what felt right and listened to my inner voice...the strong one, not the self-conscious one.

I am happy to say I have had a normal functioning thyroid without ever having pills, radiation or surgery. It was not easy because I felt like absolute crap for a few months, was totally freaked about "thyroid storm" and wanted something to just "fix me quick."

So, again, I don't have any specific advice on what you should do...but whatever it is...it is entirely up to you. If you don't trust a doctor or practitioner or feel that someone is not listening or understanding your concerns...go to someone who will listen and treat you accordingly. It is your body and you have the right to learn as much as you can or want to about it.

Best to you!

~M.C. Turtle
  • punchgut
    Options
    The carbs I'm talking about are the ones easily digestible to glucose et. al.

I usually run high for total cholesterol. I eat a lot of fat, but my numbers are 80-90 HDL, LDL runs around 100-108 but it's all large cell, triglycerides are 80-90. Total cholesterol is usually 200-220, but I've got a large HDL component. Plus my HDL is all small particle size, which also correlates to good cardiovascular outcomes.

I guess I'm saying, numbers are relative. High values are not bad, necessarily. For true cardiovascular risk, you need to look at the whole picture. What's your HDL, LDL, tri's, particle sizes, etc. You also need to look at ratios of the various items.

All that said, fix your thyroid issue first. That alone could be the problem. Hypo generally comes with poor cholesterol panel.

• Arliah
    Options
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it! I'll see my doc and talk about all the stuff and probably ask for a re-test. I'll start reading up on all the stuff you mentioned so I can make an informed decision. As I've said, there may be something I am doing wrong, so I will look into that as well. It just really has me puzzled, especially bbecause I am eating healthier now than I have in the past 5 years, and I am working out more, and I feel better, so it makes no sense to me at all.
  • punchgut
    Options
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it! I'll see my doc and talk about all the stuff and probably ask for a re-test. I'll start reading up on all the stuff you mentioned so I can make an informed decision. As I've said, there may be something I am doing wrong, so I will look into that as well. It just really has me puzzled, especially bbecause I am eating healthier now than I have in the past 5 years, and I am working out more, and I feel better, so it makes no sense to me at all.

Can I ask what your thyroid test results were?

• Arliah
    Options
    You know, I don't know ... she just called and left a message, but she said they were really low. I will find out and circle back with you. I'll add you to my friend's list if you don't mind.
  • punchgut
    Options
    You know, I don't know ... she just called and left a message, but she said they were really low. I will find out and circle back with you. I'll add you to my friend's list if you don't mind.

Feel free to add me.
  • Arliah
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    (*)
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad the celiac test was normal, phew!

And I just thought of something else- did you by any chance have a really bad sore throat, but very low down in the throat, within a month or so before getting tested? If you did, you might want to mention that to the doctor. Sometimes, the thyroid can get infected by a virus and it can make things really wonky for a few months afterwards, going hyper and then hypo, as it recovers. (it's called thyroiditis, although there can be many causes, but the virus is the most benign) Usually things go back to normal within a few months, if this happened to be it.
  • Arliah
    Options
    Hmm, I've been sniffly for the past few weeks, but with those temperatures it's not surprising. Can't recall a really bad sore throat though. Aside from the sniffles I've been less sick than I usually am in winter. It'll be interesting to figure this out :p
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    If the numbers are suddenly wacky, I'd suggest getting your labs redrawn. Mistakes happen.