Any other food addicts?

Options
I'm 51 years old, 100 or so pounds overweight (with the usual co-morbidities). I'm also a food addict. If I drank I'd be a falling down drunk alcoholic. Instead, I eat.

Anyone else trying to use this tool while also wrestling with these demons?

Replies

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have a predisposition where I like to overeat. The only way I've been able to get anywhere past them is to try not to think about them negatively. For example, I no longer try to obsess about the fact that I was (am still kinda) a binge eater.

I tell myself that there's no such thing as "bad" food. I don't let myself feel guilty if I overeat every once in a while. But most of all, I'm focusing on improving my self control. I'm learning how to be okay with smaller portions and eating the amounts I am supposed to.

The only other advice I can give is to take it one day at a time. You gotta relearn how to use portion control, and it's not going to happen overnight. Celebrate when you do good, and be understanding to yourself when you have not so great days.

Good luck in your journey. :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I really dislike it when people use the word "addict" to describe anything that they have a hard time controlling. I've lost some dear people to addictions, one to cocaine and one to nicotine. I second the notion that you have to learn how to make healthy food intake a part of life. Food is good; it is life. It is possible to organize a life in which enjoyable eating is a part of it.
  • tlbev2015
    Options
    Yes, indeed food is my hiding place, it is where I go to be happy. But my friend has deceived me or I myself. I totally agree with Mindy in that portion control is needed. I do not want to stop eating my favorite foods so I will try to reduce the amount.

I also know I must move it to lose it. This is the only thing that helps my metabolism get a goin'
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Being Greek, it's kind of a big deal - food is part of our culture. Sometimes, it's just too much of a part of our culture. Yeah, I got to a place that was bad - but if you eat the right foods, the human body has a great way of saying "enough". Here to support man, whatever it takes.
  • sebd12
    sebd12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is deeper than weight loss. What are you using the food for? Depression? Anxiety? A combination? Once I was honest with myself and brought my mental health into the picture, I was able to let go of many of the unhealthy things i did to cope with my stress. Until then, it was one type of self medication after another. Please have an honest convo with your doc while you work on your health (physical and mental)! Good luck! And keep in mind, you are not addicted to food, you are addicted to the way you feel when you eat, and there are healthier ways to get that calm, satisfied feeling!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I really dislike it when people use the word "addict" to describe anything that they have a hard time controlling. I've lost some dear people to addictions, one to cocaine and one to nicotine. I second the notion that you have to learn how to make healthy food intake a part of life. Food is good; it is life. It is possible to organize a life in which enjoyable eating is a part of it.

it is not some sort of insult to cocaine or nicotine addicts for someone to refer to themself as a food addict. i don't know why anyone cares.
  • willodawisp85
    willodawisp85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I think overeating can be an addiction though. It can cause disability and shorten your life if you can't get it under control. If you keep on doing something long term even though you know it's having negative consequences then I would class that as an addition. It has been shown that people get a high from overeating from the release of serotonin.
  • sebd12
    sebd12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I think overeating can be an addiction though. It can cause disability and shorten your life if you can't get it under control. If you keep on doing something long term even though you know it's having negative consequences then I would class that as an addition. It has been shown that people get a high from overeating from the release of serotonin.

Exactly. The term "addict" absolutely applies.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    58571244.jpg
  • bellafisher74
    Options
    I am definitely an overeater, lover of food, however you want to phrase it so as not to upset anyone. I am diabetic and an ex truck driver, which means I am used to a non active, fast food life style. I recently began a business in my home, which is also low activity other than sitting and aelling on my laptop. I also have neuropathy and gout so walking around walmart makes my legs ache. I know what I should be doing, but I am having a very difficult time with motivation! New user with mfp
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    I very much think food can be an addiction and studies back this up. I have been starving and bingeing for years (not purging) and this is my attempt to normalize that and get back to being healthy. It is really hard for me and counting calories is next to impossible, I just fixate on binge eating junk food. I don't really have any advice since I am still battling this but I am focusing on never eating too little or too much, just eating enough. I still think about binge eating but when I eat too little I lose control. So far I am at least in control, somewhat. Good luck.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

it is not some sort of insult to cocaine or nicotine addicts for someone to refer to themself as a food addict. i don't know why anyone cares.

I agree. There have also been a lot of studies that claim food addiction is as strong if not stronger than a cocaine addiction so people need to calm down.