To juice or not juice?

Options
judang
judang Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
what are your takes on juicing? Is it a good idea to incorporate in my routine and diet?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Not necessary for health or weight loss. It's a good idea to eat more fruits and vegetables than the average person does, but removing the fiber and drinking the sugar part of them is a bit silly.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of juices in general (and will only drink OJ if my blood sugar is low and I ran out of my go-to hypo treatments). I'd much rather use the calories on a piece of whole fruit and get the fiber that is almost always left out of juices. Juices to me also are a lot less satiating than their fruit counterparts.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Eat your veggies and fruit so you can benefit from all of the components, especially the fiber.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Don't......that's why you have kidneys and a liver. ;)
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Adding juice - good.
    - Juice cleanse - bad
    -
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Adding juice - good.
    - Juice cleanse - bad
    -

Adding juice is not necessarily good because they tend to add a lot of calories and sugars without the fiber to temper it.

On the other hand, cranberry juice with a shot of vodka is very good indeed.

• judang
    judang Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was leaning towards not to because I rather eat my calories
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I believe that she means using a juicer, to turn fruit/vegetables into juice; not just buying processed juice.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I believe that she means using a juicer, to turn fruit/vegetables into juice; not just buying processed juice.

Doesn't matter. It's still removing the fiber to drink the sugar. Better to just eat fruits and vegetables.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    A blender is better than a juicer. You want those fibers to slow down all that glucose/fructose in your system.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    r-GRUMPY-CAT-NO-large570.jpg
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Not needed. A fad created by the 'fitness-military-industrial-complex'.
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you want to drink your veggies google Green Smoothies
  • I like to do this in the summer (use a juicer) - because I tend to just want light, cool and refreshing and I find juicing suits this. I don't solely juice...but incorporate it when it feels right.

I also have a very slow digestive system and sometimes overeat. I find juicing (or drinking good quality premade) helps me rest my system from the bulk but still allows me to feel like I've had a "meal". (It's not a cure for my overeating either...I'm working on that in other ways) - but it helps combat the results of my slow system/overeating combo that sometimes occurs.

Again, I use it for these specific purposes and it does help me for these reasons. I either make a big batch of my own and store them in blender bottles or I go for Naked Brand juices.

After researching juicers for my purposes I went with this one and I'm happy with it:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/803708985875947772?q=juicer&biw=1920&bih=955&dpr=1&bav=on.2,or.&tch=1&ech=1&psi=vULtVKGuFZPQgwSP2oCwBw.1424835295095.3&ei=zELtVLLUDseWgwTynILoCg&ved=0CPYDEKYrMA8

Best to you!

~M.C. Turtle
  • Deewayno
    Options
    If you juice just by itself then that isn't beneficial, however if you incorporate it into your meal then it's OK.

I usually have a watermelon slushee from the juice bar to go with my salad based lunch, then through out the day I drink a lot of water.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Deewayno wrote: »
    If you juice just by itself then that isn't beneficial, however if you incorporate it into your meal then it's OK.

I usually have a watermelon slushee from the juice bar to go with my salad based lunch, then through out the day I drink a lot of water.

Not really. Juice removes many of the benefits of the whole fruit or veggies and leaves the water and sugar. Not that there is anything wrong with sugar, but why waste the calories if you are not going to receive the full benefits? Go for whole fruits and veggies or use whole fruits and veggies and blend them, don't juice them.

• rbentrup81
    rbentrup81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It depends on the juicer you have- there are several types of juicers on the market that don't just give you water and sugar, some give you pulp as well. But they are a nice refreshing way to make homemade juice. You mainly need to decide if you want to eat or drink your calories.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You still get the nutrients, not just the water and sugar. You just do not get the fiber.

I like juicing once in a while. But not as a regular part of my routine.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    rbentrup81 wrote: »
    It depends on the juicer you have- there are several types of juicers on the market that don't just give you water and sugar, some give you pulp as well. But they are a nice refreshing way to make homemade juice. You mainly need to decide if you want to eat or drink your calories.
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    You still get the nutrients, not just the water and sugar. You just do not get the fiber.

I like juicing once in a while. But not as a regular part of my routine.

I am aware of that, but you still do not get all of the benefits of whole fruit with juicing.

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Not. Juicers throw away the majority of the useful food.
    Vita-Mix is much better. Uses the whole food. Plus in the summer you can use it for some wicked frozen drinks.
    mix half fresh strawberries and half frozen. Stevia to sweeten if you like. And for adults maybe add rum.