weightlifting?!?! help!

Options
I need to start weightlifting to mix up my workout so I'm not always on the elliptical. But I'm so intimidated by all the muscular guys and the equipment. Any tips for getting in there and kicking butt? ;)

Replies

• krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    just DO IT! I feel soo great when I'm weightlifting among all the guys. It's kind of empowering to be the only girl in a room full of men doing exactly what they're doing (much less weight in most cases lol) but honestly, I don't know why there arent more women in there with them, the smart one's lift weights to see better results! you could set up an appt with a trainer to show you some things you should be doing, or looking things up online are always awesome for learning what to do!
  • AliCat2705
    AliCat2705 Posts: 22
    Options
    I used to feel this way at one point to, and my only piece of advice is to just walk in like you own the place. Confidence is key! You deserve the right to be there just as much as they do!
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    I had the same fear of the equipment when I first started trying to figure out weights. But there is usually a little diagram to explain the equipment nearby. Luckily my gym is usually empty so I didn't have to worry about the muscular guys. But my advise is to just jump in there and do it! Who knows, YOU just might intimidate THEM! There's nothing like a strong, confident woman in the weight section of the gym showing that she can take care of herself! Good luck with it!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    ask the crew that works there to show you around and how to properly use the equipment and free weights. Go at a time when most of the guys aren't there (at our local gym, guys pack in around 4pm after work) and work a circuit of machines and/or free weights. Get comfortable in what you're workout is going to be and how you're going to do it and after you become confident moving around in there, you'll begin not to worry about doing it in front of others. Have a specific plan, do arms one day, legs another, chest another, back another. If you have a few extra $ just lying around, you can hire a trainer for a month or so to show you the circuits so you can eventually do them on your own if you're still too timid.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    everything that has been said so far is great advice! would also suggest checking out bodybuilding.com (don't be put off my the name - it's direct at all things health & fitness too!) as it's really motivating, gives great tips and advice, as well as a database for a TON of exercises complete with instructional videos.
    feel free to add me, i'm happy to support any ladies in their weight training goals, and it would be really motivating to me to know there's more like me out there!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If it helps, they're all just as self conscious as you are, trust me, I've known many many heavily muscled guys in my life (playing college football will lead to this), and just about every single one of them worries about how others perceive them the same as you and I do, and many are more worried.

Best thing you can do is smile, walk confidently up to the weights, and just start working. the smile is important, it breaks the tension, once you smile at a guy, now he's going to be willing to answer any questions you have. Please note, smile doesn't mean flirt necessarily, just be nice, I'm sure they will too.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan, so you don't feel so discombobulated, and just do what you do. I went in.... First day I was doing it alone... and was told my exercise wasn't right. Let me tell ya. IT WAS :D I showed them. They look like they know it all... but they don't always. Just like you or I. So it's ok to go in and have a dumb moment haha. They usually are VERY nice though! But yep, just know what you want to do for your workout, and it helps. Also going with someone, or listening to music so your rest periods aren't just you standing there help :)
  • realgirl9892
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I will definitely jump in there next time and just do it. There weren't too many guys there when i got there today so maybe I'll get used to it before they get there lol :)
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I personally love it when a woman is in there with us. I'm tired of the sausage fest with all the grunting, testosterone drivin, "I'm a bad *kitten*" attitude guys.... So you'd bring in a nice balance.

Most of us don't know what we're doing either... I don't know how many times I just shook my head at the guys throwing down the weights after a set and then strut around like a peacock.

Just head in there and don't worry about them. Most of us will appreciate you being in there. If you're not sure how to work a certain muscle, just ask one of the non-grunting guys.
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    I don't know how many times I just shook my head at the guys throwing down the weights after a set and then strut around like a peacock.

Just head in there and don't worry about them. Most of us will appreciate you being in there. If you're not sure how to work a certain muscle, just ask one of the non-grunting guys.

Pretty much spot on...if they're grunting and throwing weights around, chances are they probably aren't using very good form, or they are simply trying to show off in front of the other guys.
  • realgirl9892
    Options
    Thanks for the input, guys :) I really appreciate it!
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    Here is a site devoted to female weightlifting - www.stumptuous.com

It's a little hardcore, but I really like the advice and encouragement. There are a couple pages with advice on your first entry into the weight room. Enjoy the burn!

Edit: Tried to get the link to work, but it's not. Sorry!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to venture over to the bench press area b/c it's mostly all guys. I feel like they are probably laughing at me as a beginner, just benching 50 lbs when they are benching a whole lot more. I watched people lifting until I was certain I had it down,
    then act like I know what I'm doing when I try something for the first time. Still haven't gotten up the guts to do all the things I'd like
    to b/c I don't want to look stupid, but I have to say I really enjoy lifting! But if there's a few guys over in that area of the gym, I usually just wait til the next day. Some old fat guy came up and told me I was doing something wrong when I was benching so I just mumbled something and quit for the day b/c I felt stupid. I was sure I was right though, and sure enough, the next day I watched others and I WAS RIGHT> I need to stop doubting myself and have a good comeback ready like "Maybe when you lifted 40 yrs ago that's how they did it". This guy obviously hadn't lifted much more than a beer for awhile. But he made me feel stupid and I hate that.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of guys that aren't doing it right either. When I see a girl in there, I'm like "That's a cool chick!" Most guys understand that a womans body and a guys body is completely different. So I think it's rare that any guy would look down on a girl because she isn't lifting the same weight. If she's throwing up some huge weights, it's like "YIKES! that's a scary chick"

Don't be scared because you're worried you might not be doing something right, just go in there and ask one of the staff or trainers for some pointers. Ladies have as much right to be in there as guys do... guys are dumb if they think otherwise.