Friend me if you don't lie about your exercise cals

Options

Replies

• chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm using MyDailyBurn and it told I burned 400 calories yesterday in 30 minutes. I do not trust! MFP specifically seems to give whole lot of credit to cardio...I've never understood how "yoga" is a one intensity fits all calorie burner. I don't know what kind of yoga y'all are doing, but I sweat and shake my *kitten* off in there-it's definitely more than 140 calories per hour or whatever crap they say.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a liar. I mark all mine as 1 calorie burned.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't count them at all.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to eat back my calories, so it can give me 10 calories or 10,000 and it really wouldn't affect me.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    tumblr_likhwsApCo1qawdgd.gif

I don't log exercise calories at all.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to the calories my friends claim to burn. I'm just here for the entertainment, not to be annoyed by a number that friends put down. I mean, they're exercising, right? That's good enough for me.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I find that the way MFP posts your burns on your wall can be confusing because it lists (cut and pasted from one of my friends' walls...) burned 605 calories doing 80 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Treadmill With Incline" but you don't know what else was included. They might have done something even harder as part of the workout, and without going all the way into their exercise diary, you would never know.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    1st, her estimate is pretty close - prohealth.com calculator says 129lb person running a 9 min mile burns about 96 kcal.

Also says that at my weight, walking at a 3 mph pace for the same 9 mins burns 76 kcal. At that pace, you'd only burn 30 kcal, but then your < 1/2 the person I am ( in size ).

So, I have to spend ~ 26% longer at my slower pace to match kcal burn.

________________________________________________________________________________________

I try to do enough cardio to burn 440+ kcal each day I work out. I punch the pertinent data into the treadmill, and let it tell me how many I actually burn for my session.

At my age and size, thats currently about 30-35 mins on an alternating grade and speed program that varies from 4-7% incline and 2.6-3.1 mph.

Also keeps my heart rate between 130-150 bpm, which is near ideal for my age ( 44 ).

And, I have steadily been exceeding my weekly goal/estimated loss rate.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

You cant just look at the value reported, you have to look at duration vs intensity, and also size of the individual.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    About the only number I can trust when running is what the HRM's tell me. I've had 3 different ones tell me pretty much similar burn rates, about 175 per mile. I'm 6'2" and 230 pounds.

When logging anything else though...like HIIT bodyweight routines I am starting to do now, I think those burns are logged pretty damn high. I log them in MyFitnessPal and so far the 36 minute Week 1 Ladder routines in the You Are Your Own Gym 1st Class level workouts I have been doing (logged as Calisthenics) are reporting 612 calories burned per session. They are tough, I am dripping some sweat at the end, yes. But I'm just not sure I burned nearly the same amount as running over 3 miles...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I like to lie about my calorie burns. I probably lie about my caloric intake, too. But then again, I am completely cognizant that it's my problem when I'm not losing weight. :D
  • angielisa75
    angielisa75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin heart rate monitor, I feel its the most accurate way of keeping track of my heart rate while working out and it gives a good estimate on how many calories I burned. For its about the fat burn not the calorie burn.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I can burn 350+ calories walking at that rate on the treadmill with the incline cranked up. I am 177 pounds and do this regularly for 45 mins. I wear a hr monitor with chest strap, it is steady state cardio, and I average a hr of 150-155 bpm.

Some of us get calorie burns like that without lying. It has nothing to do with your running, and it isn't overestimated. I couldn't find the walk that had "insanely uphill constantly" so I choose the 3.5 mph. It might really tweak you to know I can go even slower (2-3 mph range) and burn that. All depends on the incline level I choose. Then again, I "claim" 1 calorie so I don't have to math out my totals with meals throughout the day.

However, if you want to do a "leisurely" run with similar burns, I suggest a 4.5 mph crawl uphill. Maybe up a mountain trail or set the treadmill as high as it will go. Now you don't have to run so fast :smile:
  • Annanna91
    Annanna91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the reason why I wear my polar watch when working out, or my garmin when I'm doing an outdoor run. Whilst I'd like to believe that I burn loads of calories I know that I don't.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just type in the number of minutes I'm doing what and mfp determines the calories. Also people who weigh more burn more calories.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If the incline is high enough, then that person may be burning about 100 calories per mile. For example I walk 3 mph at 10% incline, I cut my calorie counter reading in half. That amount still averages out to about 100 calories per mile.

I don't have an HRM and I only walk, so I always cut the treadmill reading in half. But, I think some people just may not know how exaggerated the calorie burns are that machines and MFP give.

Honestly, your post reminds me of why I stopped sharing my workouts on my feed. I did a lot of cardio in the past and had a feeling that my friend list at that time was questioning my calorie burns.
  • JennaD075
    JennaD075 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    WOW!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm trying to be in maintenance. I assumed that mfp was overestimating with exercise calories, so I didn't eat them all back AND I am still losing. Therefore, either the exercise calories are correct or the base number is too low or even both are too low. It's all a huge estimate anyway. Still trying to figure out my tdee, but it seems like mfp underestimates it with the little data I have so far.

So, no idea what you mean by giving too much credit. I don't determine what to enter. mfp does.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Darn, and I was totally planning on friending you until you posted this.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    it's kinda rude to passive aggressively diss the people on your friends list like this o.p.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back exercise cals, so I log it as whatever MFP logs it as and leave it like that so I can see what I've been doing historically. Didn't realise I'd get called a liar for it, LOL.