Meal before workout

Options
i work out first thing in the morning. Is it important to eat before I work out? I'm not a big breakfast person and I try to make sure I eat something after I workout, but should I switch the to before I work out?

Replies

• ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    Smoothies
    Milk ,banana and protein
    Or
    Toast with pb
    Easy preworkout
  • slondro
    slondro Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout do you do? If it's primarily cardio and aimed at burning calories, I wouldn't bother if I felt fine without food.

Are you doing weight training? In this case, I'd recommend you not do it on an empty stomach. I usually grab 10-15 grams of almonds and a few apple slices, along with a cup of coffee.
  • saralynrice
    Options
    Great! Thanks, I don't feel like I need to eat, I have energy, just wasn't sure if it would be beneficial to eat first. Since it's not, I'm glad I don't have to.
  • saralynrice
    Options
    I'm doing weight training, I'm just 4 weeks in, so I'm not lifting super heavy. For me though, I'm pushing myself. No cardio, just one day a week of hiit
  • chemlabdoc
    chemlabdoc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It is just fine to eat after a workout. Your body has all sorts of stored energy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want .. make sure you hit your protein goal over the day but timing is irrelevant
  • ThintasticSpirit
    ThintasticSpirit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Actually physiologically speaking you want to break your fast in the morning (we're talking blood glucose levels here not perceived energy) a low glycemic piece of fruit and nut butter or a high fiber cereal or something that will allow your blood glucose levels to rise steadily during your workout so that you can tap into the fat stores for energy. If you work out without a small snack or something then your blood glucose levels are low your body will break down the amino acids in your muscles to gain energy so you are not actually burning fat but you are burning muscle tissue. Besides, you really don't want to eat a big meal and then immediately work out at any time of day. The reason being is that digestion is apart of the body systems that need "rest and digest" and exercise is apart of your "fight, fright, flight" systems and they don't function at the same time. So for proper digestion and nutrient reuptake you really want your body to be in rest and digest mode. I an not a nutritionist, I work in another field of medicine so you don't have to trust my word. Just ask any nutritionist or dietician and they can guide you in the best way to eat for your needs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Actually physiologically speaking you want to break your fast in the morning (we're talking blood glucose levels here not perceived energy) a low glycemic piece of fruit and nut butter or a high fiber cereal or something that will allow your blood glucose levels to rise steadily during your workout so that you can tap into the fat stores for energy. If you work out without a small snack or something then your blood glucose levels are low your body will break down the amino acids in your muscles to gain energy so you are not actually burning fat but you are burning muscle tissue. Besides, you really don't want to eat a big meal and then immediately work out at any time of day. The reason being is that digestion is apart of the body systems that need "rest and digest" and exercise is apart of your "fight, fright, flight" systems and they don't function at the same time. So for proper digestion and nutrient reuptake you really want your body to be in rest and digest mode. I an not a nutritionist, I work in another field of medicine so you don't have to trust my word. Just ask any nutritionist or dietician and they can guide you in the best way to eat for your needs.

Nope .. you break your fast when you eat ... when you eat doesn't matter