Beginner ?: How do I get stronger so I can do lunges!

I have a really hard time doing lunges. Right now for a lower body workout(at a gym) I do bodyweight squats to failure, some poor attempts at lunges(such bad form I wonder if it's dangerous, also just realized maybe doing the lunges first would help, lol), then I get on the leg extension and lying leg curl machines, and finish off with some calf exercises.

I can barely get through ten lunges per side, they are not deep enough, and uber-wobbly! I am pretty heavy, out of shape after an extended hiatus from the gym, and really wanting to get better at this. Body-weight lunges should not be this frickin' hard, lol!

Could it be that it is just not safe for me to do these at this weight? Should I wait until I am lighter and stronger with the rest of the routine?(I am 5'7" and about 250lbs, wanting to lose 50lbs to start) Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! :D

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    The more you them the better you get. Keep practicing, you are doing great!!
  • darkbluex3
    darkbluex3 Posts: 13 Member
    Instead of aiming for 10, I would do as many as you can with good form. That might only be 2 right now, but I'd do a set of however many, rest for a minute, and repeat until you can no longer do them with good form. The more you do them, the better you'll get :) The hip abductor/adductor machine at the gym is great for strengthening the hips! My hips are pretty weak and I used to have the hardest time with lunges, but that's helped me a lot.
  • Colleen2502
    Colleen2502 Posts: 3 Member
    darkbluex3 wrote: »
    The hip abductor/adductor machine at the gym is great for strengthening the hips! My hips are pretty weak and I used to have the hardest time with lunges, but that's helped me a lot.

That's a great idea, I have it in my head that I need to stick to the core exercises, so I tend to avoid the "detailing" type machines, will look into this for sure! I am not aiming for ten either, that's about as many as I can do, but with wobbly and shallow form, so perhaps not with good form...

• LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    I have a really hard time doing lunges and pretty much avoided them. Plus I have balance issues and am out of shape. LOL Here is what I've tried:

- Make sure you are taking a long enough step so your legs are fairly far apart
    - Step back instead of forward. This seems to really help!
    - Practice just taking steps back to get the feel. Then practice bending that back leg just a bit. Like a quick curtsey!
    - Use chairs on either side or a counter to hold on to for balance
    - Just lower yourself a little bit. We don't need to go all the way to floor to get the benefit.

You can do it!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    I just started doing them about 5 weeks ago. At first I was very wobbly..squats are very easy for me, but balance was a big problem with the lunges. For the first two or three times I did them, I did a modified version where I didn't keep stepping. I just kept both feet in position and pulsed up and down repeatedly. Did a set with the right leg forward, then switched and did a set with the left forward. Less back and forth motion made it easier to balance.

Then after a few workouts, I switched to actually stepping with each repetition and it was much easier. Maybe that could help you. I doubt it is the weight...it is probably just getting your balance.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Start with your feet closer together for now, so you're more stable. Then increase the distance once you get a hang of it. Also, do some balance and strengthening exericises for your ankles