Ladies: Losing weight after miscarriage?

Options
I had a miscarriage on 4/17, just had a d&c this past Friday, and I had mentioned to my DH that I may want to try to lose weight before we try again. Sometimes I feel like my weight is what caused my miscarriage but I know it wasn't anything I did. I'm 220, 5'7" and technically I'm considered obese. DH is supportive of me either way and I think that if I try to lose weight after we had a baby it may be harder to find time. I feel selfish for wanting to lose weight before trying again because we both want a baby so bad. Ladies, what would you do?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I support your goals. I think if you are in the healthiest shape possible before you try to conceive again, you'll feel better and you won't have any worries about your health. It isn't selfish to do all you can to increase your good health. Losing weight is not just about appearances, it's good for your whole body.

Best wishes:flowerforyou:
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    makes sense to me! Starting your pregnancy at a healthy weight wouldn't hurt anything. Good luck losing weight and eventually conceiving again!
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I say it's how you feel, it's your body and I'm in the process of losing weight before I get pregnant again too so I can feel better about myself and I don't find that selfish at all.
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    I'm on the same boat. Only that I currently have two kids. My husband and I have aggreed that since my body is changing and I am working so hard to lose weight and reshape my body. It is currently not time to think on having another child. If we do have another one, it would put all my hard work and dedication go to waste. Plus we are not in a rush, we already have two beautiful kids and a thrid could deff wait.

I say lose the weight, then have a baby. If you weight 220lb now, you will weight a lot more after the baby making it so much harder on you to lose the weight. You might even get unmotivate to lose weight and workout.
  • christadoud
    christadoud Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for the loss of your baby.

I agree with lucky- it is always better to be in the best physical shape you can be in, pregnancy can be very hard on a womans body.
  • acchickpea
    acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cassie,
    I'm sorry for your loss... I actually have a very similar situation as you. I had a loss on 03.03.11 and since have been trying to eat healthier, excercise more and loss the weight before DH and I try again. It's hard to deal with but it's not selfish to want to loss the weight prior to TTC. It will make you feel much better about yourself and during your pregnancy when you get that sticky bean....
    Good Luck!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.

Pregnancy is really hard on your body and the better shape you are in the better your pregnancy and delivery are going to go.

It isn't selfish and if anything you are already wanting to give your baby the best start possible. You are already in the "making sacrifices" mommy mindset. :flowerforyou:

Good luck to you when you are ready to try again! :drinker:
  • Cassie816
    Cassie816 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to try to lose weight before we try again. I do think it will be an easier pregnancy, with not so many worries, if I lost some weight. It will also help me in the long run when I have little ones running around to keep up with. :smile:

Is it unrealistic to try to lose 75lbs in a year? I would love to be down to about 150, that's been my goal all along, the lowest I've been in my weight loss journey was 175.
  • Amy271189
    Options
    Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.
    I lost mine last monday and I understand how hard this is.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Take care darling =)
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to try to lose weight before we try again. I do think it will be an easier pregnancy, with not so many worries, if I lost some weight. It will also help me in the long run when I have little ones running around to keep up with. :smile:

Is it unrealistic to try to lose 75lbs in a year? I would love to be down to about 150, that's been my goal all along, the lowest I've been in my weight loss journey was 175.

I think that's totally doable. It's like 1.5 lbs per week.

So sorry for your losses ((HUGS))