Calorie allowance of 1200?? Won't I go into starvation mode?

Options
dawn01
dawn01 Posts: 14 Member
I am new to this site and need some advice.

I have chosen to loose 2lb a week and I am moderately active. When I enter this info into my goals on mfp it tells me I am only allowed 1200 cals. I have done it for two days but I am hungry all the time. Start weight 14st (post baby.not normal for me) and goal weight 9st 7lbs. I do exercise to get a higher allowance but I am still hungry and my husband reckons it's not enough calories. All advice welcome and I don't have many friends as new to this. So pleeeease add me and I will gladly accept.

Replies

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your details in particular, I can surely say that you need to up your calories. I eat 1600- 1700 a day and still have reasonable weight loss. Are you eating back your exercise calories in full or in part ?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Why not do yourself a favour and give yourself a fighting change...reduce your weight loss to a pound a week, you should be allocated some extra calories.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    There is not really such a thing as starvation mode. 1200 calories will eventually wear down your immune system as you cannot get enough vitamins and nutrients with calories that low. You will end up sick and in bed and generally feel like crap.
  • dawn01
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, love your user name by the way.

I am eating my exercise calories as I'm starving.

My height is 5ft 4in, female, age 35. Current weight 14st , goal weight 9st 7lbs. I selected moderately active in my goals but if I change it to active it then allows me 1700 cals which is a bit more realistic. I also selected to loose 2lb a week so maybe I should go slower and aim for 1lb a week.

• elphabawicked18
    elphabawicked18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, starvation mode is more like 400 calories.

But, yes, as tiptoe said, do 1 pound a week. It's much easier.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    dawn01 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, love your user name by the way.

I am eating my exercise calories as I'm starving.

My height is 5ft 4in, female, age 35. Current weight 14st , goal weight 9st 7lbs. I selected moderately active in my goals but if I change it to active it then allows me 1700 cals which is a bit more realistic. I also selected to loose 2lb a week so maybe I should go slower and aim for 1lb a week.

Well, there is also the option of just ignoring what MFP says and selecting your own amount. MFP doesn't know when you are hungry or how your weight loss is going. MFP says I should eat 1200 calories a day. Stuff that.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    Also how are you measuring your exercise calories ? Do you have a pedometer or heart rate monitor ?
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Agree that the 2lb a week is the issue here, changing to 1lb a week and allowing yourself a few more calories will definitely make it more bearable.

I started at 14 stone too and opted to go slowly at 0.5lb a week as was only looking to lose about 2 stone initially (I'm a few inches taller than you). I set MFP to sedentary as I have an office job and it gave me 1790 cals. For the first 10 weeks I consistently lost 1lb a week pretty painlessly.
  • dawn01
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    Also how are you measuring your exercise calories ? Do you have a pedometer or heart rate monitor ?

I don't use any measuring device but my husband has a calorie counting watch which I'm going to swipe from him and start using. Xx
  • tanyatabone9
    tanyatabone9 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above - and I second the question about how you're measuring your exercise calories. My partner and I have a hell of a lot of difference between us in terms of movement. Whilst we both have the same job, she naturally does a lot more than I tend to do in terms of movement. My movement needs to be more intentional, or it doesn't happen. I am sedentary unless I intentionally exercise. If you're hungry, it's a good sign that you're not getting enough energy to fuel your movement and living. And watch your macros, of course. Enough fat and protein typically helps you to feel satiated.
  • dawn01
    Options
    Agree that the 2lb a week is the issue here, changing to 1lb a week and allowing yourself a few more calories will definitely make it more bearable.

I started at 14 stone too and opted to go slowly at 0.5lb a week as was only looking to lose about 2 stone initially (I'm a few inches taller than you). I set MFP to sedentary as I have an office job and it gave me 1790 cals. For the first 10 weeks I consistently lost 1lb a week pretty painlessly.

I have changed to 1lb a week and got more calories to 1700. More like it. On 1200 cals/day my meal times were painful especially when you look at your plate and see the tiny amount that you have to keep you going until next meal.

Thank you guys, this has been really helpful. Can I add you as my friends? Xxx

• dawn01
    Options
    What are macros?
  • myfatass78
    Options

I have changed to 1lb a week and got more calories to 1700. More like it. On 1200 cals/day my meal times were painful especially when you look at your plate and see the tiny amount that you have to keep you going until next meal.

Thank you guys, this has been really helpful. Can I add you as my friends? Xxx

Add me. I'm on here heaps and have an open diary (but don't look at today, it was a mess)
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Macros = macronutrients = protein, fat and carbs
  • zmillbrand
    Options
    What are macros?

Macronutrients, Fat, Carbs, and Protein. The type of "diet" you are on is the ratio of these from one to another. If you are having problems feeling full, try eating more fat and protein and less carbs. They take longer to digest/enter the bloodstream and release more hormones that make you "feel full."

Good on you for reducing your goal for the week. It took a long time to make the body, it will take a long time to change it. You just need to stick with it.
  • dawn01
    Options
    Thanks a lot zmilbrand.

Good advice which I will incorporate into my food diary. X
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have to eat around 1200 4 days a week or as close as I can manage. It is possible to be full if you are eating frequently about 5x a day. Making sure that you are getting 1 protein that is 4oz or 3/4 or 1/2 a cup if they are say yogurt or cottage cheese. 1 fat that is 1 tbsp per meal like olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, or avacado. And 1 carb for the day which I use 1/3 cup berries but it can be 1 pc of toast whole grain or 1/2 c oats. Ims sure if you could figure it out you could add more carbs just the portions would be like 1/4 of a apple or something. On my other days I do 1500 or more those have 1 carb every meal and no fat. And one free day up to 2300 cal. But I was really surprised how filling 1 cup or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 4 tbsp salsa and 1 tbsp avacado and 2 cups salad is. I also do 2 cups veggies every meal. Veggies are very low cal and filling add on a little vinaigrette and tuna or chicken and its pretty filling and low cal. Add me if you like!
  • dawn01
    Options
    Than you very much. I have found all your comments valuable and I have started to use the useful advice you have given me. Also thanks for being my friends. LOL xxxxx
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    MFP originally told me 1200 calories a day, but I was struggling in the beginning to do that and hungry all the time. My adjustments to 1 lb a week made it more bearable, but I find now (60 days into this), I actually am fine with 1200-1300 a day. I'm eating regular-sized meals and not starving. I'm just making better choices than before! Although I do slip in some chocolate now and then, and a glass of wine here or there. I'm nearly 10 lbs down, so I think you can get there, too!

Good luck!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 149lbs and MFP set my calories at 1330. I found its easier if you divide your food into 4-5 meals so you're eating frequently throughout the day. My day is usually, cereal, then a sandwich, dinner, a salad, and tea. Whenever I have calories left over, I use it on milk. Small snacks that are calorie packed can take up your calories, but not let your stomach feel like it's had anything to eat.