Help needed to banish my 'spare tyre'....

Options
My walking/cycling regime is very successful reducing my weight and is ongoing. In 45 days I have lost 6.2kg (just under 14lbs). I am very happy about this and the flab around my waist is quickly disappearing. However it is leaving an unsightly flap of skin and remaining fat. Walking and cycling don't seem to be reducing this. Perhaps some dedicated exercises would help and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. Diet helps you lose the weight, so keep eating well. If you keep at it, you’ll likely see improvement. Your skin may take some time to adjust to the smaller you. You may have to face facts that it might not get tight (some folks have to have surgery to remove excess skin after losing a lot of weight). Given that you’re only talking about 14lbs, I’m guessing you’re going from a taut overweight to a fluffier look. Keep focusing on diet and you should see continued fat loss.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. *snip* Keep focusing on diet and you should see continued fat loss.

Agreed. You're making good progress, just keep at it. Patience, patience, patience.
  • rafikiphoto
    rafikiphoto Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks both. It´s correct that I was taught. When I gain weight it mainly goes into a big gut plus a puffy face and hands. The gut has reduced significantly causing the flappy skin. I was wondering if a few sit-ups or similar exercise might help.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    If it's flappy skin, your best bet is staying hydrated and maybe moisturized...and patient. Your skin's ability to be elastic will depend on your age and genetics.

If it's fat, only continued whole body workouts and calorie deficit will help. Check out the "So you want a nice stomach" pinned thread in the General Forum for some really good advice and further discussion.
  • rafikiphoto
    Options
    Well, patience is working as you say. Now down 11.5kg (25lbs) and while I still have skin flaps they have reduced considerably. I am now within 3kg of my target weight so I am more confident that by then I will have lost most of it and continued exercise will hopefully do the rest.
  • gusinott
    gusinott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. Diet helps you lose the weight, so keep eating well. If you keep at it, you’ll likely see improvement. Your skin may take some time to adjust to the smaller you. You may have to face facts that it might not get tight (some folks have to have surgery to remove excess skin after losing a lot of weight).

Sigh... This is so true, unfortunately. :'( Quite a few years ago, when I had to get pants made specially, since Big&Tall stores were not as commonplace where I lived, I decided to lose weight and trim down. Went down eventually from a 54" waist to 36", yo-yo'd, then up to 46", then back to 36" (up a couple of inches since then). But I was left with a considerable amount of "loose" skin and stretch marks that can only be taken care of by surgery. I had to tell myself: is it worth all that money? Maybe to some. Or maybe it just comes out to accepting what you are made of. I still do a fair amount of core/abs exercises, but mainly to strengthen my abs and lower back muscles". I've accepted the fact that my love handle are there to stay (still working on that) and focus on my overall state (for instance, trying to build a larger, stronger upper body - shoulders, chest, arms - to take some emphasis away from those love handles). On another note, who the heck ever started calling them "love handles"?? :\ lol
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My walking/cycling regime is very successful reducing my weight and is ongoing. In 45 days I have lost 6.2kg (just under 14lbs). I am very happy about this and the flab around my waist is quickly disappearing. However it is leaving an unsightly flap of skin and remaining fat. Walking and cycling don't seem to be reducing this. Perhaps some dedicated exercises would help and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something?
    for exactly the same thing, my PT put me on a regime of full body workouts( elliptical,rowing machine,and swimming),plus strength training,plus core exercises(planks,ab crunches,leg raises).
    overall,have reduced from 46" waist to a newly minted 32".the only unsightly skin neatly covered by waistband nowadays.
    perseverance is the key.
    good luck.
    my motto is. " less spare tyre,more like a slow puncture"
  • rafikiphoto
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    " less spare tyre,more like a slow puncture"

Hehehe. That describes my situation perfectly!

When I reach my goal I will have to review my exercise schedule (walking and cycling at the moment) so I will take into account some of the other exercises mentioned above. I do love my walking and cycling though.

At my age I don't think I'm going to spend money on surgery. My cameras, computers, bikes, wife and dogs will always take up my cash (not necessarily in that order!).

I always thought of 'love handles' as rather apt. Not that I like the term. :smiley:

I do appreciate everybody's support and advice. Thank you all.
  • rafikiphoto
    Options
    I'm now just less than a kilo off my target weight. The 'love handles' are substantially reduced. I guess that if I continue to exercise after reaching target weight the flaps will disappear.
  • rafikiphoto
    Options
    It's almost gone but a bit of tightening up won't go amiss. Cycling just doesn't do much for that area.