Affordable and cheap healthy food

Options
2»

Replies

• VBJONLY
    Options
    I shop at Kroger, so what I do each week is go online and make me a grocery list of all the healthy item they have on sell that I like and purchase them and upload coupons. I also buy healthy item that has been marked down or discontined. You just have to look and bargain shop.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    26 foods you should learn to cook in your 20's. I swear by the chicken thighs.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463843521611/
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast
    Beans
    Rice
    Frozen veggies aren't too expensive
    Popcorn
    Fresh produce that is in season
    Do you have an aldi? Their food is cheap. It's mostly just off-brand stuff but they have meat and produce, dairy, eggs, etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I shop at Kroger, so what I do each week is go online and make me a grocery list of all the healthy item they have on sell that I like and purchase them and upload coupons. I also buy healthy item that has been marked down or discontined. You just have to look and bargain shop.

I love Kroger's online coupons. And with your plus card they track what you buy most and send you fun coupons. I hit Kroger sales for most of my food and then visit Aldi for produce and a few things I can get cheaper there (they have the best prices on string cheese!)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I told some family members recently that I feed my fiancé & myself for about $200 a month and they just stared at me. I cook at home most nights. Simple meals of protein & vegetables (a mix of frozen & fresh depending on what's on sale) and maybe a starch like quinoa or rice. I keep an eye out for less expensive cuts of meat, managers specials on seafood, and flip through the circular each week to see what produce is on sale.

We blew a pipe in our kitchen last week and it was partially out of commission so I was browsing the frozen prepared food aisle for something that I could stick in the oven. Everything was SO expensive, full of calories & sodium and frankly, not very appetizing to me at all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I love Kroger's online coupons. And with your plus card they track what you buy most and send you fun coupons. I hit Kroger sales for most of my food and then visit Aldi for produce and a few things I can get cheaper there (they have the best prices on string cheese!)

Yes! Kroger's coupons are awesome. They even send coupons for free eggs or $7 of anything in the meat or produce dept and non-brand specific things like that.

They will also order meat or fish selections if you ask. Not everything, but I've asked about things they've stopped carrying in my local store and they will order it.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 511 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm in a remote rural area in a country that I've never seen a food coupon in... soooo wishing we had them!

Here's what I do to keep costs down:

-Eat the foods in season (they are generally much less expensive, particularly veggies)
    -Buy meat/fish/poultry/cheese when it is on special, separate into smaller portions and freeze
    -Look for store specials on staples (tinned tomatoes, tinned tuna, flour, spices) and stock up for later use
    -During seasons when farmer's markets are open, snap up fresh fruits and veg from local growers who charge less than grocery prices
    -Grow whatever food I can (I have limited space, so keep a few raised beds with lettuces tomatoes, peppers and herbs--simple to grow!)

Staples for me are similar to others on this thread:

-Bags of brown rice (I pre-cook a cup on Sundays that I use with meals throughout the week)
    -Eggs (If you have eggs, you can make a meal!)
    -Cabbage (you'd be surprised the number of things cabbage can be used for... lately I've been finely shredding, then steaming it; and I use it for a pasta substitute with my homemade pasta sauces)
    -Bread on special... (I freeze half the loaf as I live alone and can never finish a whole loaf before it begins to go off)
    -Oatmeal
    -Onions and garlic (one or both of these go into almost every meal)
    -Sweet Potatoes or Carrots (both add a sweetness to meals when baked/roasted)
    -Greens (whatever is least expensive... great to bulk up meals and add nutrients without many cals... I also like to grab a lettuce to chop, wash and drain to make quick salads throughout the week)
    -Beans/legumes-- dried lentils are easy to find here, but the tinned beans often go on special
    -Zip top baggies for portioning meals (I do a lot of bulk cooking, then freeze the meal in individual portions for quick, homemade "frozen dinners")
    -Seasonings; curry powder, cajun spice (Goya makes great inexpensive ones), etc.
    -Small bags (from the cooking section) of nuts to throw into my oatmeal of into recipes
    -Apples (two or three a week) to chop up into my oats or use in salads, or just to eat as snacks

One thing I do in general is avoid pre-made foods/frozen dinners in the shops as they have so much more sodium than when I make food fresh.

I also second those who recommend buying less expensive cuts of meat and using the Crock Pot to turn them into delectable dishes. The Crock Pot is my new best friend!

• CenteredOne
    CenteredOne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I buy organic lentils, split peas, beans, quinoa, brown rice, oatmeal and popcorn in bulk. I make soups using the legumes and fresh organic veggies that are affordable such as onions, carrrots, cabbage, leafy greens such as big quantities of kale and spinach and freeze them in portion size plastic ziplock bags. I wash these bags and hang them dry to reuse whenever possible. I also do up a large quantity of brown rice, quinoa, and then freeze this in individual serving sizes. I also have an simple food processor and when peppers or basil are on sale I buy them and puree or chop them, as well as garlic, ginger and lemon/lime juice. I freeze all this and have easy, 'instant' meals with 'instant' seasoning.
    Bulk organic oatmeal is inexpensive as you only need 1/2 cup uncooked. I buy it when it is on sale. Look for sales. I wait for when red bell peppers are 50 cents and buy ten of them. I got myself a good food dehydrator and dehydrate them or chop and freeze them. Look online or in newsletters etc for coupons too.
    Check prices in the stores. Most times larger sizes means less per ounce. SOMETIMES though it is actually cheaper to by the SMALLER sizes.
    Also, by sugar free juice and water this down so you have no more than 4 ounces of juice at a meal, with added water. Also, use lemon, mint, lime, an apple slice, a little bit of vanilla or orange oil to flavor water to even lower the sugar input.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Porridge with Banana and milk. Sorted. Seriously!