Meal Replacements?

Options
Does anyone have an opinion or know anything about meal replacements like Shakeology or Herbalife? I'm looking into Herbalife but I would really like people's opinions and to know more about it. Thank you!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love food too much to "replace" any of my gorgeous meals.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    There is no point in using a meal replacement. Eat real food. Count calories if you have to. You'll be more satisfied. People gain back the weight they lose on meal replacements the second they start eating real food again.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Those meal replacements can be pretty pricey.

If you are running into a situation where you don't have enough time to make something, you may want to look into maybe doing a meal prep day and making food for yourself for a week.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I did optifast years ago, effective but expensive.Have seen some on amazon that makes it more afford able.Medifast is available online and it is decent. Slimfast is doable and readily available.I choose to eat real food, but trying a replacement plan can help train yourself to eat smaller portions and kick start your metabolism. Good luck!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    They don't do anything for weight loss that a calorie deficit eating regular food won't do.
    Some people like the taste; others think it's horrible.
    It's expensive.

• Thom_Kat
    Thom_Kat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Herbalife. I hate eating food in the morning and it is one of the only shakes I can drink that doesn't upset my stomach and actually fills me up.

The Bad: As you will likely hear a few times in this thread, it doesn't "teach" you how to properly eat and it is simply an expensive low calorie option that you can get just as easily from real food. Another thing to keep in mind is that one serving of Formula 1 Herbalife only has about 9 grams of protein, a significant downside of it. I normally mix in a small amount of other protein, opt for the higher protein version, or just make sure I fit in more protein filled snacks and dinner.

The Good: Meal replacement shakes work well for some people and I just happen to be one of those people. They do serve their purpose for the time you are using them and it takes the guesswork out of weight loss (that can be good or bad, I suppose). They are filling and contain lots of nutrients that especially work well if you aren't prone to eating well otherwise.

There are lots of recipes online to change up the flavors. I always buy the vanilla flavor and a little sugar free jello, pudding, PB2, frozen fruit, etc. Just watch how the calories add up. Feel free to PM for more info. I don't sell Herbalife but I can tell you more about my own experience.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Or, you know, you could just eat meals instead of replacing them with overpriced liquid. I know, it's a radical thought, but it's worked for a lot of us here on MFP and elsewhere.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides of the equation here - I use protein supplementation with my meals to boost my protein intake - and have a Vitamix to make veggie/fruit/protein smoothies with it. I do feel that one can over-rely on that kind of method and get hooked on it. It's expensive - so used in proportion to real food, it's a great idea - or if time doesn't permit, another great idea. If it's used exclusively, I would be concerned - especially if the fiber intake is minimal.

Another concern would be what the ingredients are - if it's "whole" foods-derived - i.e. natural sourcing to final product, that's fine. If the ingredients consist of something that add preservation to it - or to add taste/color etc when not necessary, I would be concerned.

I think the best method to replace meals is to use a Vitamix (or Blendtec), get some frozen berries, bananas, and other fruits, mix in some greens, and add high-quality complete protein powder to it - maybe add milk (or almond milk if you no dairy for calcium) and yogurt for probiotics (whole - not non-fat). I do that and it works very well. That would provide all the vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber - you name it.

JMHO. Hope you find what you are looking for, OP.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's all crap and a gimmick to get $. Just eat what you want, but be in a caloric deficit to lose weight, or surplus to gain. Simple as that.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    millie740 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion or know anything about meal replacements like Shakeology or Herbalife? I'm looking into Herbalife but I would really like people's opinions and to know more about it. Thank you!

My opinion is that its a complete waste of money because it only does the same as what real food does. But with the added downside of not teaching you about portion size of real food so when you return to normal eating, you'll often just put the weight back on.
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use a protein powder (Isopure Dutch Chocolate) with 8 oz coconut milk and 12 oz coffee over ice to make my morning "iced mocha," which I have as a meal replacement for breakfast.
    I hate all the conflicting information in articles out there, wish everyone wasn't just trying to make a buck and was actually interested in imparting information concerned with helping people be healthier! I know there are some sources that really do have their readers' best interests at heart, but it's hard to weed them out sometimes.
    I'm going to stick with my morning protein-shake-mocha because it's DELICIOUS, helps me make my protein goal, and keeps my pleasantly satisfied in my tummy until lunch time. :) It's something I enjoy and can see continuing past when I reach my goal weight (which, granted, is a looooong ways away!) I think that's probably your the best question to ask yourself: am I doing this to lose weight? or is this a lifestyle change I want to make for keeps? If it's not something you can see yourself doing forever, it's probably not worth it.
  • crusinforlosin
    Options
    I use Herbalife. We have physical clubs you can walk into. I was drinking smoothies and wanted to try something different. I was taught portion control, and got a meal. Plan and 24/7 coaching. So far I really like it and it's almost been a year. I didn't get serious with losing weight until January first of this year. :)
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife. We have physical clubs you can walk into. I was drinking smoothies and wanted to try something different. I was taught portion control, and got a meal. Plan and 24/7 coaching. So far I really like it and it's almost been a year. I didn't get serious with losing weight until January first of this year. :)

An Herbalife, independent distributor, spewing garbage.... imagine that. (shocked face)

Avoid gimmicky *kitten* like Herbalife. Caloric deficit = weight loss. It's not magic, it's pure science.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It sounds like an expensive way to be hungry all the time . Can't imagine why anyone would want to replace any of their meals
  • crazybraziliancook
    Options
    I'm using Herbalife and my daughter introduced me to my fitness pal, so I'm using both. I normally didn't eat breakfast or lunch and by dinner time I was starving and snacked a lot before bed. Doing the shakes at both breakfast and lunch , I'm eating a sensible meal and a sensible snack with tea or coffee.
    My favorite in the AM is Mocha shake that's Dutch chocolate , protein powder, instant coffee, half of a banana, 1 cup Almond milk, cinnamon and ice. I love chocolate and coffee. There are Herbalife recipes on their page that you can make and there are others to by google searching. There are supports in some Nutritional shake places that make Herbalife shakes for you to try before you buy , it's like going to Star Bucks for a iced/frozen coffee , but a shake instead. Find out if there are any by you.
    I'm also taking the supplements.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    millie740 wrote: »
    Don't start on a meal replacement. It teaches you nothing on actually eating habits or concepts. So unless you plan to consume a meal replacement as a meal for life, then take the time to learn how to create eating habits you can sustain for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 3wdl
    3wdl Posts: 45
    Options
    To give an alternative perspective I've been doing meal replacement for a while now - originally complete meal replacement (4 shakes a day) and now 3 shakes + one high protein low kcal meal. It's worked wonders for me and have lost 94lb but it's clearly not for everyone. I also use MFP/their own meal planner to understand what I am eating and get in the habit of logging for when I hit my goal in 46lb time!

Doing it the traditional way obviously works for lots of people and I would always suggest this first - but it didn't work for me and I needed something a bit more drastic to help me achieve my goals.