I'm 6 weeks pregnant...anyone else pregnant out there?

Options
Hi,

I just found out that I am 6 weeks pregnant and wondering what this means for my weight loss journey.

I have 16lb to lose before I am a healthy BMI. But for now I'd be happy if I could lose 8lb. Is it safe to lose weight whilst pregnant or even possible? My nausea has hit me since yesterday and is not nice.

This is my third pregnancy. With my first, I ate what I wanted when i wanted and it was all unhealthy food. After giving birth, I was the heaviest I have ever been in my life.
The second pregnancy ended in miscarriage 3 years ago, and whilst I lost weight whilst pregnant because I just threw everything up, I put on lots of weight after due to feeling depressed.

Now that I have more energy then ever before, I am hoping I can be more active during this pregnancy and hopefully continue losing weight.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You may end up losing some weight initially during your pregnancy due to nausea, but it's not really safe to purposely try to lose weight. Your body has enough work to do, creating another human, without putting additional stress on it. Eat at maintenance for now if morning sickness allows and add calories as your pregnancy progresses. I got pregnant last year at 155 pounds (I'm 5'4") and gained 27 pounds while logging and working out. That was less than the prior two pregnancies and I was back at 155 by three months postpartum.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You should be talking to your doctor about your diet and nutrition during your pregnancy.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Without anyone knowing your specific medical history, I don't think anyone can accurately address your question. Talk to your doctor about their recommendations.
  • saxinet2001
    saxinet2001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I´m 6 weeks along and at the top limit of my BMI for being healthy. I am wanting to put the minimum on during these next 8 months. As long as the food is healthy, I´m calorie aware and I can work out a bit each day, I can´t see why my weight will rise during the next 2 months. Keep me updated on your journey.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Do not try to lose weight while pregnant. Your body needs the nutrition. Eat healthy, eat enough, and try not to gain too much weight but do not diet, do not try to lose weight.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Don't try to lose weight while you're pregnant. Just try not to gain a bunch. I started out overweight with my second pregnancy, but did better about eating right and exercising (pretty much up until the day I went into labor) and gained 25lbs. I lost about 15 of those after the baby was born and have almost worked the rest off now that I'm done breastfeeding.

You don't have to eat for two. Being pregnant is not an excuese to eat crappy. Continue to make healthy choices and keep exercising.
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses!
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I wouldn't necessarily try to lose weight if I were pregnant but I would try to eat as healthy as possible and not be so concerned about calories in or out. Take your prenatal vitamins etc. Talk to your doctor for sure.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I understand completely wanting to be healthy and reduce weight gain while being pregnant because I also gained a huge amount with my first pregnancy which got me to here, but its a good idea to talk to your doctor. He or she will talk to you about healthy weight gain and what to expect each trimester with what you may gain. Also, if they think you're gaining too much, I'm sure they won't hold back with letting you know so I think they will help keep in mind you don't need to "Eat for two" while pregnant.

That's great that at 6 weeks you have energy! I found that in 1st trimester all I wanted to do was sleep. Hope its a healthy and happy 9 months!