Go-To Blogs / Websites for Healthy Recipes

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In addition to the few mentioned above I use foodily.com. It may not be a diet website per se, but you can easily find something that fits based on whatever you feel like having that day. Here is what I do:

I see what I have available or what I feel like eating then enter it into the search, let's say "eggplant". It pulls up all the recipes that have eggplant in them. Take a quick look at the info under the pictures and you will find an entry called "calories per gram" under nutrition. So if an eggplant recipe has 4 calories per gram, it means I would be eating roughly 125 grams (4.4 ounces of food for the entire meal) of that recipe if my meal allowance is 500 calories. That's not enough to satisfy anyone, so that recipe is out. Now another one has 0.8 calories per gram. That's 625 grams of food (1.4 pound) for a 500 calorie meal! That's a lot of food - that recipe is in.

In general I go for foods less than 2 calories per gram.

Sometimes it's not accurate, due to the way the website parses recipes (example including the weight of the water used to boil pasta or misjudging some of the ingredients), but it's a great general gauge.
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I like the Dam Delicious site, too.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    In addition to the few mentioned above I use foodily.com. It may not be a diet website per se, but you can easily find something that fits based on whatever you feel like having that day. Here is what I do:

I see what I have available or what I feel like eating then enter it into the search, let's say "eggplant". It pulls up all the recipes that have eggplant in them. Take a quick look at the info under the pictures and you will find an entry called "calories per gram" under nutrition. So if an eggplant recipe has 4 calories per gram, it means I would be eating roughly 125 grams (4.4 ounces of food for the entire meal) of that recipe if my meal allowance is 500 calories. That's not enough to satisfy anyone, so that recipe is out. Now another one has 0.8 calories per gram. That's 625 grams of food (1.4 pound) for a 500 calorie meal! That's a lot of food - that recipe is in.

In general I go for foods less than 2 calories per gram.

Sometimes it's not accurate, due to the way the website parses recipes (example including the weight of the water used to boil pasta or misjudging some of the ingredients), but it's a great general gauge.

That sounds like a really cool tool!! I will have to try it out. Always looking for meals that are low-cal but still have large portions!
  • snovej
    snovej Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://ohsheglows.com/ is my favorite! I love her book too.
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sakuradreamer
    sakuradreamer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A Pinch of Yum! She is the best ever! Definitely in support of Damn Delicious too though :)
  • mluvst
    mluvst Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like blogilates she has lots of YouTube videos/ Facebook. Recipes and exercises.
  • Director5
    Director5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love skinnytaste, usually she uses ingredients that I already have
  • rachb2015
    Options
    I love www.lemonsqueezy.eu - they give lots of nutritional advice too and everything is sooo tasty
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jessicasim92
    Options
    sidechef app has vegan, gluten free recipes I like
  • KatieJean922
    Options
    I like laaloosh.com - she also puts nutrition information on her recipes. They are always simple and turn out to be way more flavorful than you would expect. Plus she uses lots of pantry staples so ingredients lists and grocery bills don't get out of hand!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been a subscriber to Cooking Light magazine for years and probably cook from their recipes the majority of the time with an 85% favorable rate from my family (including a picky teenager). If you subscribe, you can get free access to their entire data base - recipes going back to the 90s. You also get access to recipes from Sunset magazine, Oxmoor House, Southern Cooking, and a few others. But IMO the best part is the ability to meal plan and make your own shopping list from the website. I also keep running lists of my favorites with categories you can make yourself - soups, salads, breakfasts, whatever you want. And the bonus is that most of the recipes beginning last fall are already in MFP's database. Highly recommended!
  • kelly29414
    kelly29414 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    withpeanutbutterontop.com
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    skinnytaste.com ... emilybites.com ....canyoustayfordinner.com ....chef-in-training.com ...simplyrecipes.com ...eatyourselfskinny.com ... eatingwell.com I also use foodnetwork.com I like pioneer woman and trisha's southern cooking these are the ones I use often ...Enjoy :)
  • redoakcircus
    Options
    Pinchofyum.com
    Iowagirleats.com
    Gimmesomeoven.com
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    snack-girl.com
  • krrbrr
    krrbrr Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    http://fitmencook.com/ he also has a youtube channel that is amazing!
  • KristyRunyon81
    KristyRunyon81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love MindOverMunch.com She has YouTube videos too with recipes, workouts and ticks.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I live by Giada. So foodnetwork.com is my go to. But seriously. Her recipes, especially from her Feel Good Food cook book are easy healthy and insanely good