Anyone else pregnant or maintained a healthy weight during pregnancy?

Options
Hi All,

I have been losing weight over the last 2 years.

I am now 13 weeks pregnant. I haven't been logging since December due to pregnancy sickness and just generally feeling awful. I don't think I have put on much weight apart from a little on the tummy :), going by clothes. I have yet to weigh myself.

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who is currently pregnant or has managed to maintain a healthy weight/not gain too much during pregnancy.

I was pregnant with my first child 5 years ago and I used it as an excuse to just eat and eat and eat. As a result I was at the heaviest I had ever been in my life after giving birth to her. I'm keen to avoid a similiar situation, especially since I know how hard it is to lose the weight after.

Now that I'm feeling better, the first thing I want to start doing is logging my food again.

Any tips is greatly welcome.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would have a chat with your doctor about this. There is a fine line to walk to not gain personal fat but also not hurt your babies nutrition. You doc should be able to give you a good good nutrition tips and how much weight you should gain durring this pregnancy.
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • ashleykaye2012
    ashleykaye2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and have gained 13 lbs so far (which my doctor says is right on target). I agree with 4legsRbetterthan2's comment about checking with your doctor, because every pregnancy is different, but I discussed using MFP with my doctor and she advised that it's best used in the 1st and 2nd trimester as a way to track nutrition (you only need approximately 300 extra calories while pregnant). She advised me to use it to make sure I was getting enough protein, calcium and other nutrients in my diet (as opposed to focusing on the calorie intake) and to keep myself accountable for the amount of sugar and sodium I was eating. It was really helpful/motivating in curbing sweet and salty cravings and also helped me manage my morning sickness. Entering the third trimester, my doctor advised me to set my MFP goal to "gaining .5 lb a week". So far, I would say it has definitely been helpful in keeping me eating enough of the right things (needless to say I have my appetite back!) and making sure my weight doesn't explode in these final weeks.

Again - you should definitely talk with your doctor before making any changes, but I think using MFP to log your food at the very least keeps you in the habit (making it easier to get right back into your routine post-pregnancy!) and also keeps you mindful of what you might be eating too much of (sea salt & vinegar chips with orange sherbet anyone?!) or what you are getting too little of (calcium for me!).

Managing your weight during pregnancy is totally doable! Good luck!