What new foods have you tried?

Options
Who else has discovered new foods since joining MFP? What did you like/dislike?

Replies

• donnawtm
    donnawtm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I discovered that baked sweet potatoes are possibly the tastiest thing on earth, it almost seems wrong that they are good for you!
    That Omlette is actually quite nice with salad instead of chips or toast, I used to think eggs with salad or veg was really strange combination.
    And that I definitely don't like celery!
    Trying nuts in a smoothie tomorrow
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily since joining MFP, but since I started to take a closer look at the food I'm eating I've discovered I like salmon, something that before I never ate.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts, Spaghetti Squash, Quinoa. I also discovered I feel better if I don't eat bread. And no carby stuff in the AM. It makes me hungry and sleepy by 10am.
  • donnawtm
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Not necessarily since joining MFP, but since I started to take a closer look at the food I'm eating I've discovered I like salmon, something that before I never ate.

Salmon is on my list of things to try, I have never liked any fish before so don't think I have ever even tried Salmon
  • donnawtm
    Options
    Sweet Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts, Spaghetti Squash, Quinoa. I also discovered I feel better if I don't eat bread. And no carby stuff in the AM. It makes me hungry and sleepy by 10am.

I'm trying to keep carbs low until my evening meal. What do you have for breakfast? Im experimenting with Smoothies at the moment
  • melwoodard3
    melwoodard3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently started eating fish ... and have found that fish tacos (with cabbage, corn tortilla, and homemade mango salsa) is my favorite food. I was NEVER a fish eater at all and now I want fish tacos EVERY day. I am sure I will burn out on it soon and have to find another obsession.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Eating mild white fish (Basa mainly) is very tasty. I used to avoid fish like the plague. I also ate cantoloupe for the first time, willingly. I used to avoid it because it smelled like rotting death. Baked tofu is now delicious and i actually crave it sometimes. I love the texture of Quinoa!

Melwoodard: So it's not just me! i made fish tacos 3 weekends in a row after trying it for the first time. So good! lol
  • angellmoore
    angellmoore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. I never tried it before starting this journey. I'm amazed at how healthy it is. Not super tasty so I usually boil it in chicken or vegetable broth. My new love is avocados. I eat them like crazy.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I really like Greek yogurt, quinoa, and sweet potatoes
    Surprisingly, I'm not a big fan of quest bars (not worth the high price for something so tasteless), celery, and kale.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've always been adventurous about trying food, but I do find myself seeing things in stores and googling them on the spot to find out more about them. Especially in the Asian market....always things there I'm not sure what to do with lol. Chayote squash is the most recent new thing. It's not exactly exotic, but I never used to see it. I haven't prepared it yet but it seems I have many options for it.

I have unfortunately seemed to develop an allergy to celery, and already knew my okra allergy, so I also look at what new things are related to and how closely.

About the fish tacos, I have always eaten fish, but as a taco option it sounded so unappealing. Then I made it one day on a whim with some leftover flounder and holy hell are they good!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I tried kale chips after reading about them on here. Several posts said it was a good alternative to potato/corn chips. Those posts lied. It wasn't bad, but there are so many better ways to use kale.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    -Veggies and fruit that aren't the standard broccoli and lettuce / Apples and oranges
    -bison, good but too expensive to become common on my table
    -protein powder and bars
    -chocolate that ain't hersheys or nestle
    -different fish, shark being the most memorable to me because it was disgusting and I threw the rest of it out

I do try to eat different things that aren't too expensive or a pain to cook.
  • lak200
    lak200 Posts: 26
    Options
    zucchini always came into my house in bread form - now that's completely out and it's shows up as zoodles or baked sticks;
    quinoa - LOVE it - replaces rice a lot - i fix it with a can of rotel to add some flavor to it - i've recently found it in sticks and chips in the store - tasty;
    brussel sprouts - just never appealed to me - love it grilled in the oven now;
    eggplant - cooked it once in my life - now it gets spiralized or takes the form of baked sticks;
    beets - NEVER ate them no matter if they were red or golden ones - now they get spiralized or baked or even in my morning smoothie;
    spaghetti squash - never had it - LOVE it now;
    i actually like the quest bars - chocolate chip cookie dough is my fave - peanut butter supreme comes in 2nd - they're perfect to me for that 'candy' fix;
    at 52 y/o i'm discovering foods i've never eaten before and actually enjoy them - guess it's about time i grew up! ;-)
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ive found calorie free chocolate peanut spread(works well on toast) and calorie free salad dressing(every flavor).
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Sun dried tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Also almonds (and raw nuts and seeds in general instead of roasted, salted ones). I never used to like almonds and I'd avoid them in prepackaged trailmix, now I love them. Unfortunately, I can eat too much of all of these foods.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Creamed soups (bought an immersion blender, usually any vegetables+bacon).
    Smoothies (bought a Nutribullet, use milk+banana+sour fruit).
    Sardines.
    Bison :)
    Poached egg
    Foie gras
    Millet.
    Tapioca.
    Buckwheat (need more time to figure out how to prepare that)
    Nut butters (besides peanut and Nutella equivalents).
    Greek yogurt, mixed with nuts/nut butters and sweetener.
    Maple syrup.
    Dates.
    Freeze dried cherries.
    Edamame.
    Kohlrabi.
    Beets.
    Romanesco.
    Celery.
    Parsnip (had it baked with honey and sesame seeds yesterday OMG (*)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. Tried it recently and it's meh, taste like wet socks. But I use it as a filler to other ingredients in two vegetarian dishes I do, one being an eggplant cannelloni and a veg shepherd's pie and it adds protein and gives the dishes a consistency that I was searching for.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. Tried it recently and it's meh, taste like wet socks. But I use it as a filler to other ingredients in two vegetarian dishes I do, one being an eggplant cannelloni and a veg shepherd's pie and it adds protein and gives the dishes a consistency that I was searching for.

I tried this, too. And chia seeds and nutritional yeast. The list grows. I liked Quinoa but it was the same as rice and oatmeal for me, I could just eat the entire box and still be hungry. I also learned that chia seeds mixed with boiling water and a little brewer's yeast make an interesting gravy for sweet potatoes.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Chia Seeds
    Flaxseed
    Qinoa
    Millet
    Sprouted Grains
    Steel cut oats
    Dried cherries
    Kale
    Homemade larabars, granola bars, yogurt

I'm sure there are others but these are some of the things I have tried and liked.
  • thecraftinista
    thecraftinista Posts: 66 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and lentils! I'd eaten both in the past but it's been in the last two months that not am I eating them regularly, but I'm putting both into a lot of the new recipes I've been trying out!