Friend me if you don't lie about your exercise cals

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    it's kinda rude to passive aggressively diss the people on your friends list like this o.p.

I can't believe I'm saying this but, I agree with the above.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    it's kinda rude to passive aggressively diss the people on your friends list like this o.p.

LOL, whenever I see a post that is asking for friends who needs new friends because they're sick of "insert apparently offensive/annoying thing here" I check to see if the OP is a friend, because it seems kind of rude.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

LOL, whenever I see a post that is asking for friends who needs new friends because they're sick of "insert apparently offensive/annoying thing here" I check to see if the OP is a friend, because it seems kind of rude.

*nods* I don't know about anyone else, but that's not really someone I'd see as a good friend, either as a virtual MFP buddy or a RL one.
  • HappyLifting89
    Options
    I know I burn more lifting than any warm up cardio I do. But it's just the facts, MFP isn't 100% accurate but it keeps people motivated in a sense
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm a liar. I mark all mine as 1 calorie burned.
    This! I just like to keep track of my workouts, I'm not concerned with calories burned.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

:'(
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My fitbit always low balls my calorie count. At the end of the day all I really care about is how I look and how much I can lift! This site does keep me honest (or at least embarrassed) about my eating habits though :D
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

*nods* I don't know about anyone else, but that's not really someone I'd see as a good friend, either as a virtual MFP buddy or a RL one.

Well crumbs, I was just about to go post something snarky about all my friends.

giphy.gif
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    please answer us back here because I am wondering, at this point, if you understand what is written ; doing the exact same workout I do, a person who is 8 inches taller and weighs twice my weight ( 2x 120 = 240 pounds) will have a very different calorie burn than I am getting.

also, many of us Do Not eat back the exercise calories, in addition remember that not everyone is overweight on MFP, some of us enjoy being accountable , even though we have never had even one overweight day.
  • Jojo2k11
    Options
    I didn't know how bad the over estimations were in MFP until I started using my work phone that has a step counter. I have yet to use it while cleaning on the weekends which is where I get the majority of my exercise right now. I'm still trying to find a doctor for my medical issues so exercise is very sporadic for me. I need to do it though.... I'm HUNGRY lol
  • karmcl
    karmcl Posts: 8 Member
    Options

It's not my friends on here...it's when I read about someone complaining on a message board thread that they're not losing--and then I look at their exercise log and see they're overestimating. My MFP friends are all awesome.

Anywayzzz I'm kinda done w/ this thread now. It probably wasn't very nice of me to assume, and the replies from you all were not very nice either. Have a great day!
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    How do you know that you're burning exactly 100 calories/mile when you run? Or are you LYING?

Love it
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MY JOURNEY, MY CALORIES, MY BURN.

MY numbers shouldnt bother you because MY NUMBERS dont effect you.

Besides most ppl just log in the workouts in and MFP displays the number of burnt calories. Your rant should be about how MFP overestimates not about how ppl are lying.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    People generally aren't intentionally lying - they are using MFP's (inaccurate) database, without knowing any better.

And burns depend on a lot of factors. I'd burn more running a mile than you, because I weigh more.

All calorie burning is estimation.

Yes, this! I don't purposely over-inflate my calories burned. I use the MFP data base and it plugs in my calories. I know that MFP overestimates calories used, so I try to only eat back about half of the calories it gives me.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit movement gives me calories, but I set my calories low on MFP to begin with. I have a total I aim for with or without the exercise. I adjust these numbers occasionally depending on how things are going. It's really just a place to log food and my fitbit reminds me to get up and move more often.
  • davidrobertallen
    Options
    i've always suspected the calories expended on here as being overestimated; however - for my hour run at the weekend, both my garmin and strava stated a higher caloric burn than MFP

conversely, i find that MFP comes up with a lower BMR for me than other sources, so it's kind of a swings and roundabouts scenario.

regardless of its accuracy, i've consistently lost/maintained using MFP as my main tracking tool, so something must be working.
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Everyone calm down, she put a smiley face at the end so it's all OK.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    OP, no offense, but when reading black-n-white posts, yours especially sounds angry.... :) ....I'm not looking to add to my FL, but this just observation.

Oh, and I use a calibrated trusty HRM with a trusty chest strap, so my cals burned on the hours I spend are pretty accurate. Don't take that away from me.
  • zipitzippy
    zipitzippy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use the Pacer app for day exercise as I always have my phone on me & got for long walks to/from train station and at lunch. So I pretty much trust this calorie burn.

As for calories burned on the treadmill, I go by what the machine at the gym tells me and change what MFP automatically puts in. Majority of the time I don't eat back exercise cals so I use the number on the treadmill which tells me distance walked, time, my weight is inputted and it tells me the calorie burn. I usually fast walk on an incline and burn about 100 calories every 10 minutes of walking.

I don't however trust the Zumba entry on MFP...but don't bother to change the figure
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    It does not bother me the slightest whether people are over or underestimating their calorie burn. I cheer them for doing something instead of nothing. If they overestimate they will have trouble losing weight and that is not my problem. Being active is superb and for that everyone who posts sports activities should in my humble opinion be cheered.
    Stef.

X2