losing 20lbs+ on a budget

Options
Im 28. I weigh 160lbs. Would like to be 135-140lbs. Im on birth control and its not helping. Need ppl to talk to about what's working, whats not, anf whats affordable.

Replies

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    obviously i am a guy so i have no idea what birth control does to ones body. if it really does hinder you in your goal to lose weight why not have him bear the responsibility so your body can get back to being acclimated off the pill?

try walks/runs. start out with little goals. running for 1 minute straight, 2 minutes, 3 minutes so on.

Dont worry how better people are at what you are trying to do. the only person you should be in competition with is yesterday's you.

buy a scale to weigh out your foods. you will be shocked how wrong so many people are about what a suggested portion is.
  • jessdunn40
    jessdunn40 Posts: 36
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Im 27, 5'10 and 170 I want to lose around 20lbs too. First shop around the perimeter of the store. I meal prep quick which makes quick meals easy to grab and I have a weeks worth of food ready :smile: I am on a budget so that is how I do it. Hope this helps
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The budget thing is a bit of a red herring. You can lose weight on a budget just fine.
    1. Get to grips with understanding weight loss is about calorific deficit. You eat less than you burn. The most effective way are consistent deficits which are easier to maintain if you weigh your food and accurately log it. You have the choice of moderating how much you eat i.e portion control or altering some aspects by making sure you eat a balanced nutritious diet and go for things that are less calorie dense, but still give you everything you need as well as filling you up. You need to find a diet that suits you, the importnat thing is to hit your calorie target and set it at the right level, not too low so its too hard, but low enough to have an effect.
    2. Although not required for weight loss its certainly easier if you do some exercise, just moving more every day will help burn calories, which in turn makes it easier to have a deficit. Theres plenty of workouts you cna do at home with videos on youtube or fitness blender. they cost nothing. Exercise will also give you health benefits plus preserve muscle loss (strength exercise).
    3. On a budget, then shop at places like Aldi or markets and learn to cook things from scratch. Vegetables (frozen is fine), lean proteins, complex carbs and fruit are a good start. Cooking your own stuff works out cheaper if you cook enough, then divide it into portions. Soups and stews are great at the moment during the cold weather.

As long as you are at a deficit consistently, then over time you will lose weight. If you cnat afford a gym then walk more , take the stairs and exercise at home. Learn some patience. As a rule of thumb ive youself at least 1 week per lb loss as an idea of time it will take. It might be longer or shirter, but dont get frustrated pr ompatient if you wnat to make sure you are still there at the end instead of quitting. Buy yourself some kitchen scales.
  • stephnic4
    stephnic4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I feel so much more motivated having this community feature. This is really great. I feel hopeful:) Please add me and shoot me any thrifty ideas.
  • stacycarp2010
    stacycarp2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some great finds at aldis that are cheaper than bigger stores is definitely their produce section, their version of laughing cow cheese, I use it a ton, their lite and fit turkey sausage, they have great low cal dressings, especially the honey mustard and low cal frozen treats!