Plantar fasciitis

Options
2»

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I had to go to the foot dr for back in 1994 and did the custom made orthotics, cortisone shots in the heel, physical therapy and ended up having surgery on it. At that time I was very obese and worked retail mgmt and was on my feet for 10 to 12 hours a day on concrete. It got so bad before surgery I couldn't even walk from my driveway to my house after work and that was it. I had to do something. The surgery helped but the one thing they didn't tell me is when they go in and cut that band it also could make your foot not be supported as well. I had problems a few years later when I did dog agility and was on my feet for 12 plus hours a day at agility trials. Foot dr, (different one that did my surgery) would tape the foot up, do cortisone shots, more custom foot orthotics. The foot orthotics work the best and really need to be the ones the dr cast and custom makes for you. They are pricey but some health insurances pay for them. My last set I had done in 2013 I still had health insurance that paid for them so I only paid about $60 of the $400 cost of the 2 full foot ones. My insurance was changing at work and the new co didn't pay for them so I wanted to get a pair made. I lost alot of weight in 2012-2013 also so I needed a new pair for the new size of my foot. I don't wear them much now and haven't had issues with my feet or PT since loosing so much weight.
    Good luck it is a very painful issue and I never wanted go through that pain again. It was horrible!
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Working out in minimalist shoes and barefoot is exactly how I developed the first twinges of PF. Returning to running shoes with a heel drop solved it instantly.

The thing about PF is, the worse you let it get, the longer it takes to heal and the more you might need to throw at it.

I roll a spiky ball under my foot, stretch my calves, and do strength work to prevent a reappearance.

Exactly for me too. I got the cortisone shots, proper shoes with inserts, rest when needed, I froze a water bottle and would roll my foot over it on its side for a nice stretch and ice massage, I did where you pick the towel up with your foot, also holding the heel and gently pressing the toes towards you. I also had a brace to wear during the day and a splint at night. When I wear proper shoes I am fine. If I try to go barefoot I feel a twinge of it wanting to come back so I don't do it very often. Good luck.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    In my experience, going barefoot only made it worse. For me the best shoes (and I tried many) to do normal walking around in was the soft rubber Croc clogs (not the hard soled dressy ones, but those standard, "ugly" clogs, like garden clogs. I wore either the name brand Crocs ones, or the ones I could get at Payless. They were the only ones that soothed and supported my feet making it easier for me to walk.) I also can wear some of the other Crocs styles but they have to be the rubber shoe when I have a flare up.

Wearing the braces at night and off and on during the day when I'm sitting certainly helped. The braces were more expensive at my local pharmacy ($70!!!!) vs. Amazon.com ($30). I got 2 for less than the price of one at my local pharmacy.

The braces are a bit inconvenient and weird to sleep with, but the return on investment is soooo worth it. Really really helped a LOT.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Consider this, other than diabetic or other causes of circulatory issues, podiatrists would be out of business if we didn't wear shoes.

Podiatry is very dependent on the shoe industry. As for orthotics, they are treating the symptom, the underlying cause is lack of flexibility caused by wearing shoes almost since birth.

Orthotics will give pain relief because they restrict movement. Restricting movement is not the cure, flexibility is the cure.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Sarasari wrote: »

If I try to go barefoot I feel a twinge of it wanting to come back so I don't do it very often. Good luck.

Generally that means that you still haven't stretched out the tendons properly. Orthotics lessen the symptoms, but do not cure the problem.

• wizzybeth
    Options
    I consider the fact that may pain gets worse and more excruciating when I walk barefoot. And I used to be barefoot at every possible opportunity before I got PF. As soon as I was in the door of my house, the shoes and socks came off. I would be barefoot all the time if I could.

I'm not saying going barefoot caused my PF...I am saying that it certainly didn't help to go barefoot and in fact made it worse. In my experience.
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've had this for a few years now and just quietly put up with the pain, until about 3 months ago when I invested in a night brace off Amazon. It works great; its not the easiest thing to get used to (it took me about a week) but I'm pretty much pain free now - especially when I get up first thing in the morning! Bliss :)

I was advised to go barefoot as little as possible, even slippers with a really soft sole had to go as they were just causing me pain.

I would definitely recommend the brace though
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend active release. It's incredibly painful, but it works. I don't need a brace, orthotics, or anything else now that I've had treatment from my doctor.
    If treatment isn't available, I recommend investing in a foam roller. Stretch your calves as this is where the pain comes from. Also a golf ball rolled under your foot will help as well. Seriously seriously seriously get active release done.
    http://kinetichealth.ca/services/active-release/
  • joelleys
    joelleys Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had this on and off for years. I've recently had to cut back on running and switch up my cardio workout because the pain was terrible. When it flares up, I basically ease up on my activity/workouts and wait for the pain to subside. Sometimes this takes months, depending on how bad it is. However, it's hard to "rest" because I love to work out and I do quite a bit of walking at my job.
    I also roll a spiky ball under my foot - it feels great after a workout. Stretching helps A LOT. I've added inserts to some of my shoes or try to wear shoes that have some support. No flats. Even walking around the house, I always wear shoes because it hurts to go barefoot.
    - I feel your pain tho..... sorry!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My shoes were the culprit.
  • johnle96
    Options
    Hi, I know it's a very hard situation because I've passed through it. Fortunately, a product helped me. I found it on a website that also provides a lot of information on how to treat plantar fasciitis.
    If you want to check it out, here is the link to the review: http://plantarcomfort.com/fast-plantar-fasciitis-cure-review/

But, you may check the other contents offered by this website, are worth gold!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I consider the fact that may pain gets worse and more excruciating when I walk barefoot. And I used to be barefoot at every possible opportunity before I got PF. As soon as I was in the door of my house, the shoes and socks came off. I would be barefoot all the time if I could.

I'm not saying going barefoot caused my PF...I am saying that it certainly didn't help to go barefoot and in fact made it worse. In my experience.

That is exactly my point. If you are getting pain flat footed (with no heel raising your heel above your toes), it means that the tendons are shortened, which causes the pain. Stretching the tendons and not letting them shorten up again will keep it from happening as much.

• wizzybeth
    Options
    Well I used to wear higher heels to work. Not crazy high heels, but I did wear various height heels. I sometimes wore flats, I sometimes wore sneakers, I sometimes wore pumps. Sometimes I wore hiking boots...so I'm not sure how that fits in to your original point on your first post in this thread. I do agree with the stretching, it does help. But I used to wear various types of shoes back in the day. It wasn't until after I became seriously overweight that I developed my foot problems.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    johnle96 wrote: »
    Hi, I know it's a very hard situation because I've passed through it. Fortunately, a product helped me. I found it on a website that also provides a lot of information on how to treat plantar fasciitis.
    If you want to check it out, here is the link to the review: http://plantarcomfort.com/fast-plantar-fasciitis-cure-review/

But, you may check the other contents offered by this website, are worth gold!

Did you join the forum simply to promote this ebook? The link goes to a page selling a book.
  • tinatupy
    Options
    I feel your pain! I never had any foot issues until I began to exercise. I was a 47 y/o female and 35 lbs over weight when I began, but otherwise very healthy. Within about 3 weeks of starting to exercise my left foot began to hurt after running (which was my go-to exercise). I then tried the eliptical but I couldn't use the it either because it hurt too badly. I didn't do anything for the pain at first, but within 12-16 weeks it got so bad that I was scared to stand up after sitting because I knew how much it would hurt, let alone try to walk for any length of time. I stopped running and went to a podiatist about 6 months in and did the whole nine yards, stretching every 3 hours, taping, cortisone shots, agressive physical therapy and massage therapy (who told me that my calf is not tight in any way), inserts; nothing worked. I finally decided to do the surgery on Nov 7, 2014. As of today, 2-25-15, I still have pain in my foot and it is ALWAYS visibly swollen. The pain isn't the same pain, but pain none the less. I have not ran since March, 2014 but we did purchase a used, basic, stationary bike about a year ago for $25...the best investment I ever made! I've used it religously and managed to lose 30 lbs (within 5 of my goal weight) with it and MFP app! I'm now doing weight training to gain muscle and am able to use the eliptical again and do the occasional biking. I'm very careful about only doing low/no impact workouts now and have pretty much given up on my goal of running a marathon. Good luck with finding something that works for you, and hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones who's PF goes away.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    In my experience, going barefoot only made it worse. For me the best shoes (and I tried many) to do normal walking around in was the soft rubber Croc clogs (not the hard soled dressy ones, but those standard, "ugly" clogs, like garden clogs. I wore either the name brand Crocs ones, or the ones I could get at Payless. They were the only ones that soothed and supported my feet making it easier for me to walk.) I also can wear some of the other Crocs styles but they have to be the rubber shoe when I have a flare up.

Wearing the braces at night and off and on during the day when I'm sitting certainly helped. The braces were more expensive at my local pharmacy ($70!!!!) vs. Amazon.com ($30). I got 2 for less than the price of one at my local pharmacy.

The braces are a bit inconvenient and weird to sleep with, but the return on investment is soooo worth it. Really really helped a LOT.

I had a PF flare that was caused by shoes. I changed the shoes and lined others with "Super Feet" insoles.

And props to the Crocs, sock braces, frozen water bottles... No more pain in the morning.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Wearing a night splint like mentioned above was the best thing I did to cure mine.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I had it due to wearing shoes with no arch support. My idiotic primary care doctor told me to use shoes with super high arch supports (brooks beast) which immediately took the pain away. Unfortunately they ended up giving me long term knee problems.

So don't just treat the plantar fasciitis with high arch supports.