Separated food only for you?

Options
We all know we must do drastic changes in our food habits to be healthy and lose extra weight... but how do you manage it when you live with your family?

Do you keep a separate food section only for you, and the other for your spouse/kids?
Do you "make them" eat what you eat?

In my case, I have shared the same food with all my family. I don't keep separated special food that's "only for daddy". I eat the same stuff we all eat. But, I've seen we have all been learning to eat better. My wife has shared with me my enthusiasm to live healthier, and she has eventually started to eat healthier too (although, she doesn't have weight issues). My kids (still toddlers), are learning to eat healthier too. So, thankfully, it's been a process where we all learn, and it has been a blessing. Now, when we visit my parents or my in-laws, I will always eat whatever they offer, I haven't been picky on what they offer... the key in those cases is portion control :)

Can you share your experience?

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about not letting the food on your plate touch each other. I'm a big "no food touches" person.

I have no input for the real topic though. My husband and I eat the same things.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't go that far.

I'll never compete in a show, but, I do hope to do a local strongman, so being on such a strict lifestyle is not for me, nor would I find it enjoyable.

If there's food in my fridge or cabinets.... it's fair game.... 100 or 2000 calories... I don't care.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a seperate section in the fridge that is just for my food. That is because I portion all my food out so it is easy to grab when I need it and it frustrates the heck out of me to suddenly realize all my string cheese or spinach or whatever is gone. I also do usually make seperate meals for my husband and kids while I eat something else. Sometimes they all eat what I want to eat for the night, but if I am making something I know I don't want to eat because it isn't worth the calories to me I will go through the effort of making two seperate meals. It has worked well for us so far. Just more dishes!
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know... I've seen many people eating very specific dietary stuff, but I'm curious how they manage it in their household.

Regarding the "no food touches"... hmm, I think I'm not that strict, but, yeah, may be a little jealous regarding my portions :)
  • arinkris
    arinkris Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Because there is nothing drastic or dangerous in the changes we have made to food, we do the same as your family :) On the odd occasion when the kids want an indulgence that we just don't want, pizza or hot dogs for example, my husband and I eat the same healthy clean food we usually would and let the kids eat their meal choice. If there was a calorie restriction or food elimination I wouldn't have everyone eating like that, with two small children they need a well rounded diet to help them grow.
    It's so much easier as a family isn't it?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I live with my boyfriend who has different dietetic needs than I do. Due to a GI disease, he has to eat a "high protein, high carb" diet. While we're both good with the high protein aspect, I don't eat all of the carbs he does, and he doesn't eat a lot of the veggies that I do.

As a result, when I'm making dinner, I'll make an extra side of carbs for him. Whether I toss some rolls in the oven, make a side of pasta and rice, etc., that way we're both satisfied.

I also purchase healthy snacks for both of us. He can have some of the Greek yogurt I buy along with the granola I make, but I also buy him Doritos and Gushers to snack on. There's no sense in him not enjoying the things that he loves just because I'm trying to be a little more mindful of my own nutrition. Granted, I've been known to bust into the Doritos, but on a whole...those are for him.

OP, it sounds like your kids and your wife are happy to join in on your lifestyle change. That's great!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don't separate foods. My daughter is almost 12. I'm encouraging her to eat some of the healthier options so she doesn't have weight issues as she gets older. But as a rule, just for me, I normally will pick a protein. I rarely fry. I try to roast, bake or grill meats. Then a healthy side plus something that I may limit for myself like mashed potatoes. I still fix sides they enjoy. With two small children, it's great you can teach healthy eating. We do have pizza but I make them homemade. We rarely eat fast foods. I don't have a "this is good food" and "this is bad food" options. I just make it balanced.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I don't separate foods. My daughter is almost 12. I'm encouraging her to eat some of the healthier options so she doesn't have weight issues as she gets older. But as a rule, just for me, I normally will pick a protein. I rarely fry. I try to roast, bake or grill meats. Then a healthy side plus something that I may limit for myself like mashed potatoes. I still fix sides they enjoy. With two small children, it's great you can teach healthy eating. We do have pizza but I make them homemade. We rarely eat fast foods. I don't have a "this is good food" and "this is bad food" options. I just make it balanced.

Homemade pizza is the best... literally. I hate takeout pizza. No lie, I literally just called my wife 15 mins ago from work and asked her to go pickup some stuff to make pizza and chocolate chip cookies tonight, lol.
  • JoseCastaneda
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Absolutely! cooking with the kids is a great experience! for bonding and learning :)

And cooking with the wife can be a very romantic and/or fun date!

Great stuff everyone...
  • bijoubeauty
    bijoubeauty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I cook entirely different meals for my family than what I'm having and sometimes I'll just have a different side dish or something.
    In my case, I'm really bad with carbs and I can't just have a little bit so I usually avoid them altogether but my husband and kids love pasta/bread/rice and I know it is essential for them to have that in their diet so we always get whole wheat/grain versions.
    When I make things like spaghetti and meatballs or rice, I'll just substitute my grains for zucchini or carrot noodles or cauliflower "rice".
    I also usually make a big batch of lentils and fruit salad on sundays, I don't keep them separated but it lasts me two weeks because no one else wants to eat it and with two little picky eaters, there is always plenty of leftover chicken/turkey/beef so I usually save those in ziplock bags and eat them for snacks throughout the week.
    All that stuff really saves me time so I don't have to cook separate meals and it keeps me on track and most of all it keeps my family happy not having to eat vegetables every single meal (I always secretly sneak veggies into their food though ;) )
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have purchased some of those 100 calorie snack packs that I prefer others not to eat because they cost more. There are bulk packs of the same foods in the house, I buy the convenience ones for myself so I don't have to worry about will power when it comes down to it. Otherwise, everything else is fair game, if something gets finished, write it on the list. Oh, and almond milk. I'm lactose intolerant, so if I run out of almond milk, it makes me a wee bit cranky.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If my daughter doesn't want to eat what I fix for dinner, our only shared meal. She fixes what she wants...then again she's 14.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I suppose I do have "separate" food, not necessarily a separate section in the refrigerator. My husband is a very picky eater, won't eat most fruits or vegetables, limited amounts of cheese, and prefers everything fried. I do have a small frig at work where I can keep healthy snack and lunches and I do buy vegetables and fruits which I eat at home. He has taken over cooking dinner since he is retired and I eat whatever he fixes but just smaller portions.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about not letting the food on your plate touch each other. I'm a big "no food touches" person.

I have no input for the real topic though. My husband and I eat the same things.

Me too! :D

We all eat the same thing in my house. My thought...if you don't like what I cook then make something for yourself. That was the way it was for me growing up too. If I didn't like something then there was always a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    We all eat about the same stuff, but I eat less or make recipe adjustments for myself.

If I'm cooking, I make things how I want them and haven't had complaints. Everyone else just might eat more or add extras like cheese :)

If I measure out my own food and someone touches that, they'll lose a hand.
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I actually just started pre-portioning the food In our house. My husband started expressing an interest in getting healthier (tho he still doesnt want to eat any veggies), so it has made it easier. I bought grapes that were on sale Monday, went to work, came home and the entire 2 pounds had been devoured. Yes, i was slightly vexxed because i didn't get any (it has been months since they were on sale and I can't afford $3.50lb when not on sale). I went back last night and got 5 pounds (last day of sale) and portioned out all of the carrots, grapes, and celery into 1c. baggies. By the time I get home and dinner cooked, I am like a vortex, inhaling everything easy to eat( chips, cookies, bread...anything edible basically). With preportioning, I think it will be easier for me personally to grab and go for work snacks, but also so that he and our daughter are aware of how much we are eating, thus curbing the mindless munching we are all guilty of.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My fiance will eat what I make, and I really haven't done anything different or special when it comes to how I cook. The only difference is that I eat less. For example, I steamed some turkey Italian sausages and baked some sweet potato fries. I weighed out my fries and had 2 sausages. He ate the other 3, and the rest of the fries. It's amusing because he's super skinny and he usually eats like double what I do.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

hahaha. thats what i thought it was too. i like keeping my plated food separated. unless its meant to be blended or soup..it shouldn't touch.

i eat very low carb and my significant other and 3 year old do not. i will usually make the same thing for everyone (meat and vegetable) plus an extra higher carb side dish for them. i just modify the meal to fit within my diet and our tastes. they have pizza for dinner once a month or so and i will make something different for myself.

i don't eat their high carb fruit, cereal, or snack foods like granola bars, rice crackers, etc.

i dont restrict them because i have to be on a restrictive diet. i do aim to keep their food as healthy for them as possible.
  • JoseCastaneda
    Options
    I love how we all make it work in the family! As someone else said, it's so much easier as a family :)

You know what I love too? how my kids "help" with my workouts too. They're happy to "help daddy" do squats while they're on my shoulders hehe. But well, that's a topic for another forum.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have two teenaged boys in the house - you can bet I have food that's off limits to them. The other day I found my 14 year old about to cut up four of my mini Balderson 2 year old cheddar packets for his grilled cheese! I pointed out the other large block of cheese that was for him! They have to check whether certain things are mine, or if they are fair game.

For meals though, we usually eat the same thing, but I'll tend to have my food with more veggies/salad and less of the pasta/rice/potatoes.