Elliptical versus Arc

Options
Can anyone tell me if they know the difference between the 2 machines? The person at the fitness store tells me the ARC by Cybex is better than the elliptical. However the price is a few thousand more than the elliptical I was looking at. I do have arthritis in my knees, ankles and back - so the treadmill is out. Please help! Thanks.

Replies

• Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Arc.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the arc and hate the elliptical. Just my personal preference, but I like the arc because you can adjust the incline as well as the resistance, so you can get all kinds of workouts out of it, like hills, etc.. Also the Arc seems to burn more calories in the same amt of time and I read that is because you are using your bigger muscles in the tops of your legs and butt. I use the Cybex at the gym and it's my favorite cardio, and easier on my knees than the elliptical. Just my 2 cents...
  • angelaplaxton
    Options
    Sounds like you know what you shouldn't buy. That always helps us be clear on our decisions.
    I personally feel that man was trying to cell a product, commision may be what he's going for.
    Generally they are sales men, and not people who are educated on equipment that is and isn't
    good for our basic conditions that hold us back from using a machine(equipment).
    Do U know What machine you want??
    With the Arthritis, may i suggest doing some Water Aerobics, as the impact with the excersice
    is very minimal on the bones, joints, ect... Call your Local YMCA or your pool to see how much classes
    are? 8week class?? perhaps.. its a healthy commitment too!!
    :smile:
    :flowerforyou:
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use the Arc exclusively (at the gym of course!), the difference I notice is the incline feature. That feature is supposed to simulate a "stair stepper" combined with the glide of an elliptical. I'm not a personal trainer or anything, but I like what the Arc offers :)
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was recently shopping for elliptical and fell in love with the really high end cybex arc trainer. I really liked the workout and you will notice that the arms go at the same direction as the feet which is opposite of ellipticals. I like the arc motion because your knee always stays behind your foot. If price is an issue,check out Smooth Fitness web site. They have two high end machines that claim to be able to switch from elliptical to arc. I am very much considering getting one. They go for $1999 and $2399which is much less than the cybex. Good luck. I would love to hear what you decide.
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wow my opinion is totally different than everyone else's. I hate the arc! When I use it it doesnt seem to burn as many cals as when I spend the same amount of time on the elliptical. I wish I could afford an elliptical for my house because when I go to the gym all of them are full and the only thing left open are the arcs so I'm stuck with them sometimes. But everyone is different in what they like.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    They don't have an Arc at my gym, but they have something similar. I like it better than the elliptical. Less soreness in my ankles and I do get a bigger burn. Plus it has different settings for cross training, working the Glutes and doing intervals.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the Arc, but the elliptical that I have has adjustable incline and resistance. I love it!
  • johnnythebaptist
    Options
    For what its worth I hated the elliptical when I started in January 2011. However, I love it now and have my own method of using it.
    I started trying to do the various setting and often became frustrated and wanted to stop. I have 3 herniated disks and planters faciates on both feet. The elliptical was the only thing I could do with comfort. I decided what mattered most to me is getting the aerobic affect; so I started the 1st month doing 30 Min on level one. 2nd month 55 Min on level one....3rd month 60 Min on level One....4th month level 2 @60 Min. Now I am on Level 3 at 62 minuted and will change to level 4 in June. "My motto is Just Do It" wish I could have invented it but Nike beat me to it.

Wish you best:happy:
  • skyblue19912001
    Options
    ARC all the way, I like the fact that i can do intervals with running and stair steping, :) i burn tons more calories too !!!:
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I like them both. I use the Arc trainer when I'm at the gym. I have a ProForm elliptical at home. My elliptical allows me to adjust the incline and the resistance, as well as has different programs for glutes/hamstrings, etc. At high settings, the Arc feels like you're doing "high knees" marching in place, but with no impact. I do get a higher calorie burn on the Arc, but frankly it wasn't worth the several thousand dollar difference to have one at home. I ordered my elliptical on-line about three years ago (didn't have to pay sales tax that way), they shipped it for free, and brought it upstairs to our exercise room. I got a free mat for it to sit on. Someone in our household uses it every day. It has held up well.
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow! I've never used the Arc at my gym but I may use it tomorrow.
  • crpalacios5
    Options
    Come with us to the gym and try the Arc out. It's cool!!! I like it. I really, really like the Cybex Crossramp though. That might be my favorite.
  • FreeMe24
    FreeMe24 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info. Interesting, the guy at the fitness store told me that only Cybex makes the arc. But I was leary becuase I was not sure if he was just looking for his commission or was the real deal. Since I am new at this - wanted to ask for help. I will let you know.
  • FreeMe24
    FreeMe24 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the information. What elliptical did you buy? Any problems with it?
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I tried the Arc today for the 1st time. I say, get a free trial membership to a gym before you purchase to see if you like it before you purchase one. I burned around the same number of calories as the elliptical. (338 calories in 30 min.) My Arc didn't have moving arms, but I was sweating, my heart rate jumped up, and I know for sure it was a great workout on my legs and calves. I think I may alternate my cardio on the Arc, elliptical, & bike on my weight training days.

Height: 5'7
    Weight: 193 lbs
  • lucky723
    lucky723 Posts: 52
    Options
    I use to work at a gym. The arc trainer is like cross country skiing and the elliptical is like running minus the impact. Both are good usually people like one or the other. On the elliptical people that are shorter tend to like it better. Taller people feel like they can't quite get a good stride on it. Where as on the Arc trainer shorter people feel like they are going to do the splits. I like the arc trainer better it doesn't seem to bother my knee as bad.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical people that are shorter tend to like it better.

Maybe that's why I like my elliptical! I bought the Sole E35, and am really enjoying it.