28% body fat. How much can I lose monthly?

Options
I am trying to set some monthly goals. I am at 28% body fat right now (I am 5'2" and I weight 145lbs if that matters). I want to get to around 22% body fat. What is a good overall time frame for that? Also what would a good monthly loss goal be? I don't want to focus too much on weight, but more body fat.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This vary between each person.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    American Council on Exercise recommend 1 percent loss per month.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    work on weight training , this would be the best to burn fat , the amount you lose will be purely up to your body
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    set your goal to lose 1 lb/week, lift weights and get adequate protein and most of your loss will come from fat.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am trying to set some monthly goals. I am at 28% body fat right now (I am 5'2" and I weight 145lbs if that matters). I want to get to around 22% body fat. What is a good overall time frame for that? Also what would a good monthly loss goal be? I don't want to focus too much on weight, but more body fat.

Here is the maths!

145lb and 28% BF means you are
    105lb lean and 40lb fat.

Keeping the lean tissue as it is, 22% fat would be 29lb and so 134lb total

So, you want to drop from 145lb to 134lb which is 11lb.

Knowing that, 1lb per week is a good healthy target (you can do 2lb per week if you are putting in the nutrition and exercise, up to you really how hard you want to work at it)

So from that I would say it could be achieved between 6-11 weeks.

(based on eating around 500 cals per day under your TDEE)

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Here is the maths!

105lb lean and 40lb fat.

Knowing that, 1lb per week is a good healthy target (you can do 2lb per week if you are putting in the nutrition and exercise, up to you really how hard you want to work at it)

Provided you only have 11 lbs to lose, you should set it to a lower rate than 1-2 lbs. You should set it to a 0.5lb/week loss. It took me a year to drop from 38% to 28%.

Dropped another 4% since end of last July (so seven months) and it only equated to 12lbs. I weighed 162 at 38% bf and 155 at 28% bf. Things don't always correlate so well in body composition.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Here is the maths!

105lb lean and 40lb fat.

She will lose some lean mass as that includes other things, not just muscle. I would think she would probably have to lose 13-20 lbs to get to 22%, depending on size of deficit, workout program, protein intake, and genetics.

I would say at 28% 1 lb/week is reasonable, once OP gets down to 23-25%, changing to 0.5lbs/week would be a good idea.
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Here is the maths!

105lb lean and 40lb fat.

She will lose some lean mass as that includes other things, not just muscle. I would think she would probably have to lose 13-20 lbs to get to 22%, depending on size of deficit, workout program, protein intake, and genetics.

I would say at 28% 1 lb/week is reasonable, once OP gets down to 23-25%, changing to 0.5lbs/week would be a good idea.

I agree. In a negative balance you would lose muscle mass unless you protect it (enough protein, maybe BCAA if not getting enough in diet or training fasted etc). Didnt want to complicate things by going in to that in honesty.

• Thencalisays
    Thencalisays Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Here is the maths!

105lb lean and 40lb fat.

I agree. In a negative balance you would lose muscle mass unless you protect it (enough protein, maybe BCAA if not getting enough in diet or training fasted etc). Didnt want to complicate things by going in to that in honesty.

I am actually supplementing w/ BCAAs (6g before and after workouts) and trying to keep my protein intake up, w/ a protein shake after workouts as well. I have different running routines 3x a week while i train for my first 1/2 marathon, and I strength train 3x a week. One day of active rest. I am in a wedding in Sept and I want to look good!
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have similar goals. Despite weight training, protein, etc, and generally freaking out about maintaining muscle, I am conservatively figuring on only losing at per pound rate of 75% fat, 25% muscle (so for each 1 pound lost, .75# is fat .25# is muscle) since that's how I've been trending. You might want to wait a couple of weeks to see how you are trending (assuming you have a means of measuring regularly and somewhat accurately) then make a similar calculation. You might be 75/25, or 50/50, or 90/10, who knows? But it will give you a more accurate prediction to help you set a goal weight (which will likely be somewhat lower than what Darrell calculated) and determine a reasonable timeline for yourself and set weekly weight loss goals/calorie deficits.

Kind of a side topic but possibly helpful, by checking my BF frequently in the beginning, I noticed that when I stopped doing tons of cardio, my lean body mass retention rate improved greatly. Possibly not an option if you are training for a half marathon, but my point is, you may be able to tweak your program if you can spot a potential issue right away. You can see what works fpr your and what doesn't.

Good luck with reaching your goals :smile:
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options

Here is the maths!

105lb lean and 40lb fat.

I am actually supplementing w/ BCAAs (6g before and after workouts) and trying to keep my protein intake up, w/ a protein shake after workouts as well. I have different running routines 3x a week while i train for my first 1/2 marathon, and I strength train 3x a week. One day of active rest. I am in a wedding in Sept and I want to look good!

Excellent, sounds like you're really putting the effort in! Sounds good with the BCAA before and shake afterwards. If your TDEE is calculated correctly and you're under that, September is a very good realistic target to drop that bf%

I sometimes use : http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

to check mine.