9 Foods an Athlete Would Never Eat

Options
usmcmp
usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
Apparently I am not an athlete since I have violated (and will continue to violate) all of these.

msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/9-foods-an-athlete-would-never-eat/ss-AAc3Nc

If you don't want to follow the link the list is:
1. Diet Soda
2. Canned Soup
3. Rice Cakes
4. Sugary Cereal
5. White Bread
6. Microwave Popcorn
7. Granola
8. Alcohol
9. A meal without protein

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    This article has never met runners or swimmers then...as they need a lot of non bulk forming calories to be able to eat enough.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Well let's put out a list of Olympians that eat junk food:

Michael Phelps
    Janet Evans
    Shaun White (snowboarder)
    Lolo Jones
    Shani Davis (speedskater)
    Kikkan Randall

The writer of this article is a mouthpiece for Men's Fitness. While I'm not against any form of eating more nutritionally dense foods, I'm also not against eating foods that aren't nutritionally dense in moderation.
    She's more than likely wrote the article (with just correlative studies to back her claims of how bad the foods are) to appease the readers who are "clean eating" and probably are missing some junk food.
    Athlete's will likely burn more than the average gym goer or people who do daily exercise for health and fitness. Most athletes train an average of 4 hours or more on their sport, so in that 4 hours, they can't feel "full" because it would affect their performance. So if they do burn 4,000-6,000 calories in a day that's an awful lot of "clean" food to consume and they would be full at least 16 hours of the day trying to achieve that.
    I would love to see her rebuttal if she read the foods that the above actually ate daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    2. Canned Soup
    4. Sugary Cereal
    5. White Bread
    6. Microwave Popcorn

8. Alcohol
    I would regularly eat 2, 4, 5 and 6 when I was a varsity athlete in high school.
    And 8 last year when marathon training.

I guess I'm a bad athlete :'(
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness' sake. The neverending flood of these articles is part of the reason so many people have distorted ideas about weight loss, health, and fitness.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I can totally do without rice cakes.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Oh for goodness' sake. The neverending flood of these articles is part of the reason so many people have distorted ideas about weight loss, health, and fitness.

Don't worry, next week they'll post an article saying the opposite thing. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I only consume 2 things on that list. I feel much more athletic now. B)
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ...What's "wrong" with microwave popcorn?
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Lol,

Guess I am not a athlete then either, forget all those triathlons, marathons, and ultra marathons I have done and done well at.

The only one on the list that I don't eat is white bread and that's just because I don't like it.
    Heck my breakfast this morning was sugary cereal with protein powder and a diet Dew. That was after a quick 6 miles before work.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I work with a coach who is a retired professional athlete and also was a strength and conditioning coach at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado...he currently coaches some fitness minded people like myself, but also still coach's quite a few collegiate, semi-pro, and professional athletes...let's just say that in RE to number 8...a lot of them can drink me under the table; and I'm no light weight either.

As far as coach goes, he eats granola like it's the only food on the planet...he doesn't have time for anything else I don't think.

I do not like rice cakes or diet soda though...eeewwww
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »

The fumes after popping have been linking to cancer.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What a Tour de France rider eats during the tour

Things he eats that are on the list:

Rice Cakes
    Cereal

I guess he's a terrible athlete. You should have higher expectations than someone who has won multiple stages of the Tour de France.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    So if I don't eat those foods I'm an athlete?

Yay!

Where's my medals and endorsements!
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well let's put out a list of Olympians that eat junk food:

Michael Phelps
    Janet Evans
    Shaun White (snowboarder)
    Lolo Jones
    Shani Davis (speedskater)
    Kikkan Randall

The writer of this article is a mouthpiece for Men's Fitness. While I'm not against any form of eating more nutritionally dense foods, I'm also not against eating foods that aren't nutritionally dense in moderation.
    She's more than likely wrote the article (with just correlative studies to back her claims of how bad the foods are) to appease the readers who are "clean eating" and probably are missing some junk food.
    Athlete's will likely burn more than the average gym goer or people who do daily exercise for health and fitness. Most athletes train an average of 4 hours or more on their sport, so in that 4 hours, they can't feel "full" because it would affect their performance. So if they do burn 4,000-6,000 calories in a day that's an awful lot of "clean" food to consume and they would be full at least 16 hours of the day trying to achieve that.
    I would love to see her rebuttal if she read the foods that the above actually ate daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

oh snap
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    That article is the very definition of charlatanism, and the writer (I use that term loosely) appears to be a food moralist. Her Twitter page is incredibly irritating too.

Oh, and cheers, since beer is the debil

hopdevil.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

The fumes after popping have been linked to producing chemicals known to increase the incidence of cancer.

FIFY...and that's a HUGE distinction.

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

The fumes after popping have been linking to cancer.

I hope that Orville Redenbacher is burning in hell, and hopefully he is saving a spot for me.

5f1b8c3d1d240ed34fe8a05d605b38b9.jpg
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Apparently I am not an athlete since I have violated (and will continue to violate) all of these.

msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/9-foods-an-athlete-would-never-eat/ss-AAc3Nc

You do know that any link that has a title like "10 things...","Ten ways...", "9 reasons why you should..","11 reasons why you shouldn't", "12 facts about X that are false", etc., just link to clickbait articles, which are often inaccurate, that are meant to get you curious enough to click on so the site can generate more views and thus more ad revenue?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I read for the lolz
  • BRB_sardines
    BRB_sardines Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm not an athlete; I just like to lift. But the only thing I consume on that list is alcohol because the rest of the crap makes me feel *kitten*. (Actually so does alcohol if I have too much of it haha.)