Total Meltdown! I want to give up!!

Options

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Well, you can either give up and definitely not get results.. or you can keep going and probably get results and possibly not get them as fast as you want to.

^^^ The best advice on here to date.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things - but sometimes it takes a while for the scale to catch up... it's important to remember that this process is NOT linear. Your body can be holding on to water weight that will mask fat-loss for several weeks...

I recently broke out of a stall that lasted 4 weeks... but once I did, I lost 3 lb in 4 days.

Last food for thought (don't worry... it has 0 calories): If you want this weight to stay off forever. Make this is a lifestyle change.. There is no expiration, no time limit - this is just a new way to live, and the side effect is that over time, you will lose the weight.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Every body is different and I'm not one of the "MFP elite", as I think of them, but what has worked for me has been cutting my goal loss down to half a pound per week. With exercise and my TDEE, my goal is about 1800 a day (1600 if I don't feel like exercising). I don't always meet that 1600 or 1800, but having that as my goal means I get the dual benefit of not feeling guilty if I come in at 1500 (as I would if my goal was 1200) and I think it's easier on my body.

Also, are you drinking enough water? I don't know whether it's fact or myth that drinking a lot of water helps keep water weight off, but it seems to be working for me as well.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't give up and never give in... seriously!!! I had to Google TDEE so I can't give you tech talk, but I can share what I know for certain. #1 you're tracking your foods - bing #2 you're exercising - bing bing #3 you're adding variety, changing it up by including weights - bing x3. You probably didn't weigh yourself, because you were probably feeling pretty good... so why would you want to give up? Yeah, there may be some adjustments you could make, you'll make them and it will come, or I should say it will go - just don't give up!
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    csbdmom wrote: »
    I know how you feel...been there too. Definitely need to eat MORE! If not enough FUEL BURNING foods are consumed, your body will fight to hang onto its stored fat. Fruits, veggies, lean proteins,whole grains, non-fat & low-fat dairy. These foods require the body to use more energy to process them.

Everything this poster said is wrong.

Nobody has EVER failed to lose weight by eating too little.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If most of your calories come from fat, you may be eating more than you think. Most fats have a lot of calories for a small amount, so being off a little on the serving could mean a big difference in the calorie count.

As mentioned already, it could have to do with monthly bloating. I know I go up and down 2 to 3 pounds every month for a couple days. (sometimes more). Overall you are losing, I would take the 2lb loss and keep on going, next 22 days you'll be down 4lb if things stay even. Eventually it will add up. And some pounds seem to be more stubborn.

I get stuck for weeks sometimes before things start moving again.
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try weighing again in a day or so. You don't know whether you are retaining fluid or not if you only weigh every 3 weeks.

I am also short and at 1200 calories MFP says I will only lose a half pound a week. This is probably true for you also. You probably lost more at first and now it is slowing down. The same thing happened to me. But it is still working. Hang in there.
  • margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    mistydm76 wrote: »
    If I ever needed motivation now is the time!! I have been logging in MFP for over 50 days now.
    Food
    I keep track of everything I eat. Mon-Friday Breakfast Nature Valley Protein Bar- 190 cal Lunch Salad with low fat dressing- 139 cal Dinner 500 to 700 cal. Weekends usually protein bar for breakfast Lunch and Dinner is always within my 1200cal range.
    I am at 1200 calories either a little lower or a little higher.
    Exercise
    Everyday I do a fast walk on my treadmill between 2.5 to 3 hours a day.
    The last month I have incorporated a weight program from bodybuilding.com Mon-Fri.

Okay here is my problem...I haven't weighed myself if 22 days, therefore I went just now to do it and I ONLY LOST 2 POUNDS!!!! My measurements are pretty much the same from 22 days ago too!

What am I doing?? All this work for WHAT? I want to cry...

Is there anything you see me doing wrong?

Thank you

The digital scale is your Best Friend! I plan on using it everyday Forever! Just like I brush my teeth everyday! Make the pledge
  • mistydm76
    mistydm76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will continue to try and I am thankful for your support. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hope I am not too late to the party. What I have to say is likely repeated in different ways above. It's easy to make the mistake that if less is good that even less is better. Or that exercise is good so even more exercise should give us spectacular results. But our bodies need more time to adjust to such a radical change. Your life is not a sixty second commercial.

You are going to see continued losses on the scale, and you are going to see an increase in endurance and energy from all that brisk walking. But the changes won't be linear. If you were stricter with the calories or burned that treadmill three hours a day, you would likely only see marginally better results.

So adjust your lifestyle to something you could maintain for a hundred days and still feel good about it. No more weeping over a two pound loss. Laugh that you can dance with a child in the kitchen without losing your breath.
  • heather_raye
    Options
    sseqwnp wrote: »
    I know how you feel...been there too. Definitely need to eat MORE! If not enough FUEL BURNING foods are consumed, your body will fight to hang onto its stored fat. Fruits, veggies, lean proteins,whole grains, non-fat & low-fat dairy. These foods require the body to use more energy to process them.

Actually many people have failed to lose weight by eating too little. If you are exercising and are not eating enough calories to fuel your exercise and your basic caloric need to function your body will slow its metabolism to conserve your calories for daily functions and you will not lose weight. Ask a dr. ask a trainer ask a nutritionist
  • sellerskennington
    sellerskennington Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @mistydm76‌ checking in on you today. how are you feeling? are you feeling better about your situation
  • love2beme1
    Options
    You actually seem to be eating too little.. You need to incorporate more snacks into your day. Add some yogurt, cheese, turkey, boiled egg... Just something quick & light. But you really should be eating every 2-3 hours, especially if you're working out for 3 hours a day. It sounds to me that your body is holding on to every calorie you ingest... And as far as your dinner goes, you weren't very clear on what you are eating. Try to be sure there aren't too many carbs, or of course fats.. A huge amount of greens, a fist size of white meat, and if you're like me, I little bit of carbs is ok. I really hope this helps you. Don't give up!! And good luck! :)
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Actually many people have failed to lose weight by eating too little. If you are exercising and are not eating enough calories to fuel your exercise and your basic caloric need to function your body will slow its metabolism to conserve your calories for daily functions and you will not lose weight. Ask a dr. ask a trainer ask a nutritionist

^^^^^huh????

Tell this to an anorexic. Who STILL manages to lose weight even though they arent eating enough.

***(Not meaning to offend anyone who has had an eating disorder, just trying to make a point).
  • mistydm76
    Options
    Hi everyone. I slowed down the last couple of days, but now I am strong and continuing my excersice regime. Thanks for thinking of me. I am not giving in! :)
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    mistydm76 wrote: »
    If I ever needed motivation now is the time!! I have been logging in MFP for over 50 days now.
    Food
    I keep track of everything I eat. Mon-Friday Breakfast Nature Valley Protein Bar- 190 cal Lunch Salad with low fat dressing- 139 cal Dinner 500 to 700 cal. Weekends usually protein bar for breakfast Lunch and Dinner is always within my 1200cal range.
    I am at 1200 calories either a little lower or a little higher.
    Exercise
    Everyday I do a fast walk on my treadmill between 2.5 to 3 hours a day.
    The last month I have incorporated a weight program from bodybuilding.com Mon-Fri.

Okay here is my problem...I haven't weighed myself if 22 days, therefore I went just now to do it and I ONLY LOST 2 POUNDS!!!! My measurements are pretty much the same from 22 days ago too!

What am I doing?? All this work for WHAT? I want to cry...

Is there anything you see me doing wrong?

Thank you

how many carbohydrates are you taking in during your day?
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »

^^^^^huh????

Tell this to an anorexic. Who STILL manages to lose weight even though they arent eating enough.

***(Not meaning to offend anyone who has had an eating disorder, just trying to make a point).
    an anorexic is losing more than just Fat they're losing muscle, nutrient's, the whole body is breaking down. I ended up eating too few calories and was stuck at my weight for 2 weeks because I was working out. You definitely have to let your body know that it's going to get more fuel. You have to make sure you're not burning more then what your body needs to survive. Working out for 3 hours you have to be burning at least 600 calories a day. So if the OP is eating 1200 calories a day and she burnt 600, then she need at least 600 more calories which will be 1800 in order to keep her body ⛽ fuel
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How's it going?
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was the same way! Three months and little results...But I changed my way of eating, and I mean I kept my same calorie count, I just changed WHAT I ate, that made a big difference. You have to keep going to see results, sometimes they are slow...water intake is important. I am 5'6" and weight 161 right now. I run a 5k every weekend, and work out during the week lifting weights, treadmill, elliptical, swimming and riding my bike at least 3-5 days a week. I agree you do HAVE to weigh your food in order to be accurate. Makes all the difference in the world! I gave up pop except for an occasional one and drink 64+ ounces of water a day. I also keep my calories to 1350 a day. You can do this, I think you just need to change a few things and then you will see results! Keep on keepin' on!
  • mistydm76
    Options
    Thanks for all your help! I powered through. I limited my calories at night and ate healthy snacks during the day. I am not keeping up with 3 hrs a day, but definitely between 1.5 to 2.5 a day of exercise. I have lost 2 more pounds weighed this last Monday. And a total of 4 inches waist and abdomen! I am happy to see results! Yay!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It looks like you are likely not eating enough, unless you are already incredibly light and/or short.

ETA - Sorry, did not read the entire thread. It sounds like you are doing much better!