Lifting shoes?

So I'm still new at this whole lifting thing. I have a decent quality pair of running shoes that I use for all my exercising. I saw something somewhere the other day that running shoes are not good for squatting? Is this true? As a beginner, do I care?

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    running shoes suck for lifting. lots of people lift in chuck taylors (or knockoffs.) I use Adidas Powerlift2. they are pretty decent and not expensive.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    You get shoes specifically to assist people in getting deeper, for those who struggle with knee pain.. Alternatively you could just put plates under your feet.
    My philosophy is to get at naturally flat as possible when squatting.. That's why I don't even bother wearing shoes when doing so
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Running shoes suck for lifting. They are cushioned and loose-fitting so your feet will wiggle around, which makes you unstable. They also compress, absorbing some of the force you're applying towards the ground which reduces your power.

Olympic weightlifting shoes are much more rigid. They are stiff and don't compress, allowing you to drive the maximum amount of force towards the ground. The ones I use are double strapped. They allow me to really tighten up and secure my feet to the shoe so there's no wiggling around. Overall you feel very stable in good quality lifting shoes.

Oly shoes also have a raised heel, which makes it easier to go deeper and stay more upright during your squat. A lot of people get them for these reasons alone. But it's just a bandaid, trying to patch the underlying issue which is a lack of mobility/flexibility. You should be able to squat ATG while maintaining an upright torso without lifting shoes if you're flexible enough. Yes that means it can be done barefoot.

Anyway I wouldn't worry about Olympic weightlifting shoes if you're a noob. I'd recommend something flat. Chucks are a good example. You could also ditch shoes completely - barefoot feels even better. In the future if you stick to lifting and stay consistent, then you might find lifting shoes worth investing into. But for now not necessary.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Thanks guys. Maybe I'll try barefoot tomorrow and see how it feels.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    I squat and deadlift in my socks.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks guys. Maybe I'll try barefoot tomorrow and see how it feels.

If you don't like barefoot, go to Winners, Payless, Walmart and get knock off Converse.
    I lift in my socks or slippers lol

ETA: you lift at home like I do (I remember your posts about the short bar and Canadian Tire lol) so socks/barefoot are great. I went the Converse route for a commercial gym because ew
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    I have a pair of Chucks and a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. I like both of them, but I look cooler with my Chucks on.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    I usually take my shoes off and just stay in my socks. Too many gym germs for bare feet! :s Or I use some trainers that have very thin soles, or you can use something like converse. Just as long as you're not on a soft sole. It'll really help with stability, and you can push through the ground more
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I squat and deadlift in my socks/barefoot because I feel much more stable that way and have better form and control. I have a pair of super flat, converse-type shoes with absolutely no padding, and I will lift in those as well, but lifting in padded shoes/running shoes makes me feel way too unstable. :)
  • subversive99
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    I have a pair of Chucks and a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. I like both of them, but I look cooler with my Chucks on.

Oh, I actually own some five fingers already! I forgot about those! Maybe will try those too.

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Oh, I actually own some five fingers already! I forgot about those! Maybe will try those too.

They're literally the closest thing to barefoot you can get.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2015
    i didnt read the responses in this thread. just wanted to ask my friend, subversive99 how on earth he's planning on losing weight and building strength just by lifting shoes...?

Are they Shaq's shoes?
  • subversive99
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    i didnt read the responses in this thread. just wanted to ask my friend, subversive99 how on earth he's planning on losing weight and building strength just by lifting shoes...?

Are they Shaq's shoes?

I plan to do a lot (like, a LOT) of reps.

(a lot)

• kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Vibrams, New Balance Minimus, and Reebok Crossfit shoes are all popular for beginning weightlifting. I found that the Minimus had way too much arch for my flat feet so I'd recommend trying before buying.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I LOVE lifting in Vibrams-I just bought a new pair of KSOs from 6pm.com, so now I feel all extra cool in my VFFs...my old ones were green and my new ones are super badass red and black.

I also felt a little bit more stable when I switched to the VFFs, and I think it helped my form too.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited February 2015
    I have olympic lifting shoes for front squats, snatches, clean & jerk, overhead squatting, etc. I have squatted in my oly shoes, but personally I do better back squatting in my Chuck Taylors. I actually used my Chucks for a powerlifting meet in November and then trained back squats for 3 months in my oly shoes and just now went back to the Chucks and felt much better.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Does it matter what kind of Chuck Taylors, or is one as good as another?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    I've found that the minimalist running running shoes are okay for lifting. I like to do some light cardio before I start lifting, and the minimalist running shoes work well enough for both that and resistance training.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    running shoes suck for lifting. lots of people lift in chuck taylors (or knockoffs.) I use Adidas Powerlift2. they are pretty decent and not expensive.
    I got these for Christmas. So far, so good.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I squat in three things, and none of them are running shoes:
    1. Five Fingers
    2. Sabo Deadlifting Slippers
    3. Nike Romaleos
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    For all lifting (including squats) excluding deadlifts I wear these.
    51NNXH2NteL._UX500_.jpg
    For deadlifts.
    mx20bk3_nb_14_i?$dw_temp_default_gallery$
    Running (Something akin)
    81h7A6BKpJL._UX575_.jpg
  • subversive99
    For all lifting (including squats) excluding deadlifts

So if you were doing squats and deadlifts on the same day (I do in SL 5x5) you would stop and switch shoes between lifts?

This seems....excessive.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited February 2015
    Is it acceptable to be at the gym with no shoes on???? Lol I have never seen anyone do that before.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I use my Oboz Sawtooth low hikers. Wide footprint. Very good support.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I lift barefoot as well. :D
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    got my oly shoes after 3 years of lifting, use them for front squats, C & J and snatch and they provide awesome stability. Agree with Kelly_Montana that backsquats are better in chucks, and I always do deads in flat shoes like chucks and yes, I will switch shoes if I do both lifts in the same session. It's worth it.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    For all lifting (including squats) excluding deadlifts

So if you were doing squats and deadlifts on the same day (I do in SL 5x5) you would stop and switch shoes between lifts?

This seems....excessive.
    No. The way my splits are scheduled I need to only bring one pair of shoe - otherwise, in your case, I'd just dl in my socks which I have done so in the past.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    I squat and deadlift in my socks.

I'm usually in my socks too. I think that would be less frowned upon at the gym than bare feet.

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I use Vibram FiveFingers.
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    I have used otomix for years and since I only wear them when deadlifting or squatting they last forever. Plus i like the added lateral support on the ankle. (also if you add a fanny pack and some baggy's it's just like the 90's!!)