Creatine (Should I take it?)

Options
I have read a little about creatine. I have heard it's perfectly safe and then other sites say otherwise.

I want to know if anyone recommends it and if so how long do you need to take it to start noticing results?

Replies

• ITasteLikePaint
    ITasteLikePaint Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What results are you looking for?
  • cherissepatnode182
    Options
    What results are you looking for?

I'm trying to gain muscle.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Take it if you want, it's one of the most researched supplements to be sold. It's not dangerous and it *can* help with increasing muscle endurance during sessions. You would still have to eat in a surplus and lift to gain muscle, but its cheap and the small increase in intensity can help.
  • RussianRoger
    RussianRoger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's very safe in my opinion! I always have it while training with very short to no off time for at least two years already and no sides! Check for some facts:http://www.ergo-log.com/creatine.html
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You have to saturate with it first before it really has any effect, and then maintain that saturation after. It does make a difference in lifting and endurance.
  • ITasteLikePaint
    ITasteLikePaint Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Apparently the scientific literature on this topic has become less clear in the last few years.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Take it, or find a pre-workout with it already in the mix, such as Citadel Nutrition Tier 1.

And no, you don't need to "saturate" it (taking more than you need to get it in your system). You only need 3-5g a day, period.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Safe. But if you stop using it the muscles will lose the bloat that makes them look bigger.
    It is said to be helpful in recovery after workout.
    I don't use any of the gimmicks.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking it before a lifting session. I resisted for a long time...when I lifted heavy in my twenties I never had problems with energy level. I do now in my fifties, it's really made a difference for me. Just hit my 250+ deadlift goal. Heading for 300+ by August. I take it in a protein shake about 2 hours before I head to the gym.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    MrM27 is correct. Loading is not necessary anymore. It is meant to help combat fatigue so you can workout a little bit longer gaining more reps.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Here's a blurb on what it does physiologically.

Creatine donates its high-energy phosphate to create ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is used by the muscle for the rapid energy it needs for muscle contraction, such as during weight-lifting. Supplementing with creatine is reported to increase the content of PCr in muscle by approximately 20%. Having more PCr in muscle cells means more ATP can be rapidly produced during exercise, which can lead to gains in strength, power, speed and muscle growth.