Eating food you didn't prepare

Options
Jwls23
Jwls23 Posts: 37 Member
I have a hard time with eating food that I didn't prepare. If I go to a restaurant I try to call ahead or look for nutrition information so that I can plan the meal into my day. However, if eating at someone else's house or eating potluck meals at work how do you keep track of the calories you have eaten. Today I just fould an item from the list that was similar to what I ate but with so many variations in recipies I could be off by a ton! What advice do you have....aside from just not eating it. lol

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Guestimate. Finding something close and logging that is fine. If you're off for just one meal or one day, it's not going to have a long term impact.
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I find something similar here, I try to opt for the higher calories listed. That way - I'm fairly sure that I'm not understimating what I eat. Its hard when you are suddenly at a restaurant you didn't plan on or eat at someone else's house. You don't control anything then, except portion size.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I try not to obsess over the exact amount of calories. I find something on the list that seems to be similar. I think stressing it causes cortisol and that is not what I need.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as you go along. Guesstimating is the easiest way. I have learned to eye ball portions now.
  • LaurenGiannelli
    Options
    I have ran into similar issues but what I truly use MFP for is a guideline. That way I know around what I am eating. This helps me so that even when I am not logging in on MFP I know the right amounts and roughly calories I am eating without even counting. Some other things that I run into is that some people who but in food will only put in the calories and no the other nutritional information. That is something that I hope MFP can help weed out. To get back to your question you honestly just have to find something similar to what you may have eaten usually opting to the one with more calories because that is a safer bet. Hope that helps and good luck on your journey!!
  • baderis07
    baderis07 Posts: 35
    Options
    I agree with what others have already said: portion control and list the food closest that is on the higher calorie side to be on the safe side.

As for potluck's at work, I work at a hospital so we have quite a few potlucks and people are always bringing something in. What I do when I know in advance of a potluck coming up is to pick out a recipe that I like that is healthy and cook that and take that into work. That way I know the calorie and serving size for at least one thing, then I add a little of maybe 2 other things on my plate from what others have brought in. I find this really helps and also people aren't offended by you just eating your food.
  • Jwls23
    Jwls23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I try not to obsess over the exact amount of calories. I find something on the list that seems to be similar. I think stressing it causes cortisol and that is not what I need.

Haha cortisol=belly fat and that is NOT what I need either! Thanks for your help every one. It is obviously something that won't come up to often but it did today. The best part about MFP is that I can see what damage I have done and then take care of it. My 90 step and strength class should help banish some of the "crap" I put into my body today! :happy: