Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @punchgut Here are the thyroid numbers.
    In addition, some of my other numbers are really odd:

ALT (SGPT) 111 IU/L H Normal range: 0-32
    AST (SGOT) 74 IU/L H Normal range: 0-40

mej8vr4jay3w.jpg

Going to the doc tomorrow morning. From what I've read, all the other numbers can be affected by the thyroid, and so should be going back to normal once the thyroid is under control.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, deal with the thyroid. That may solve the cholesterol issues.

If not, exercise is your best bet. You don't need to eat low carb to lower cholesterol, but too many fast digesting carbs (sugary drinks or desserts, bread (esp. white bread), pasta, etc.) can raise blood cholesterol.
  • Arliah
    Options
    Yeah, I think the cholesterol is b/c of the thyroid. I don't eat/drink enough of the stuff that could raise my cholesterol. I'll go in tomorrow and figure it out.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, deal with the thyroid. That may solve the cholesterol issues.

If not, exercise is your best bet. You don't need to eat low carb to lower cholesterol, but too many fast digesting carbs (sugary drinks or desserts, bread (esp. white bread), pasta, etc.) can raise blood cholesterol.

To be clear, when I'm talking about lowering your carbohydrates I'm talking about carbohydrates that are readily digested and absorbed as glucose and its congeners. The other forms of carbohydrates, the soluble and insoluble fibers, do not count towards your glucose loading. Soluble fiber gets consumed by the guts microbiome and they produces short and medium chain saturated fatty acids from the fiber. Have you ever wondered why kale increases HDL? That's your answer. Insoluble fiber is just that, fiber that goes towards your rear end. But if you look at the carbohydrates of a potato, only a little bit is actually counted as sugar and the rest is under carbohydrate. The thing is, a potato is almost entirely broken down and absorbed as glucose.

So some math and study is required to determine what to avoid.

Also, increase fat intake in place of the carbohydrates I'm talking about is the best method to improve your cholesterol panel to rock star status as long as you do not have a genetic disorder causing the problem.

Like I've said many times though, fix the thyroid first. This is most likely the cause.
  • Arliah
    Options
    @punch Yep, that's what I'll focus on.