Based on weather, what do you wear for half marathons?

Options
Hey everyone---I'm kind of new to the MFP forums, so sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I'm running my first half marathon in about a week and it's supposed to be about 50 F. I don't want to be too hot, but I don't want to be too cold either...

Like I said, this is my first half marathon, and I only recently started running for fun. I plan to finish in like 2.5 hrs, so I'm not going to be booking it, but I do get really sweaty and hot when I run, haha.

Any advice on running attire for this would be more than welcomed. Thanks :)

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    What do you normally wear while running at this temp? What do you wear for long runs? That would be what I go with. Nothing new on race day. No new shoes, no new shirts... nothing new....
  • projectcosplay
    projectcosplay Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been training in a new pair of mizuno's I got about a month ago but that's the newest thing I plan to wear.

It has been unseasonably cold for us since this January so during my training I haven't really gotten to run at these temperatures (50+) much outside so I'm just not sure. (New runner here, haha)

Thanks for the advice though!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    50F I'm in capris (if windy) or shorts (if not) and a tank top, with arm warmers I can rip off and toss away once I warm up. And by arm warmers here I mean a pair of $2 knee socks with the toes cut off.

I would definitely have a sweatshirt or fleece in my gear check bag for afterwards.
  • projectcosplay
    projectcosplay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks, cheshirecatastrophe! I like that idea of just buying something cheap I can throw away if I feel too warm. That's really helpful; I appreciate it!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    50F is straight up shorts and a tee. That is hot for a race. At least IMO :)

Any warmer than that and I am running in a singlet and shorts
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    In that weather I will run in a short sleeved running tech shirt and capris (just beause i don't like to run in shorts...that's just me personally). If it is cold at the start line while you are waiting just bring a trash bag and wear it until the race starts. Then rip it off and go. I do that all of the time. It works perfectly for me. I am a sweaty beast when I run.

Enjoy your race!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    In that weather I will run in a short sleeved running tech shirt and capris (just beause i don't like to run in shorts...that's just me personally). If it is cold at the start line while you are waiting just bring a trash bag and wear it until the race starts. Then rip it off and go. I do that all of the time. It works perfectly for me. I am a sweaty beast when I run.

Enjoy your race!
    I get hot when I run, too, which stinks because I live in the land of hot. It was about 50F at the start of the half I ran in January.

I agree that you should never wear, eat or try anything new for a race. Stick with what you've been using or you'll probably regret it.

At those temps I'm running in capris, a short sleeved t-shirt and a hat which does double-duty to keep my hair out of the way. I like the trash bag idea for the start and I've seen other people do that. Others will wear an old shirt or sweatshirt which they toss to the side of the road after the first mile or so. Most races have people who will collect the cast offs and donate them to a local clothing bank. For the January race, there's a place about 3/4 of a mile in where my family who aren't running eats breakfast; it's right on the road. My sister and I hand off our jackets and go on our way.

I also wear a racing belt which holds my bib, my phone, a couple of tissues, a chapstick, a $20 bill, my driver's license and some sport beans. If I know the race has little water support I'll add a 10 ounce water bottle because it's dry here.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Is that the starting temp or what it will be once it warms up? For me, 50F means my capri tights (worn year round) and a tech shirt with short sleeves. After the first mile, I heat up, so only I'd have a light jacket for after the race. Now, if most of the race will be in the 40's, I would go ahead and wear arm warmers or a long sleeved tech shirt and roll up the sleeves when needed. But, I live in a warm state where we rarely get to freezing, so I'm not used to any truly cold temps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    10C in english?

Shorts and tee, maybe a windproof jacket.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    50 degrees Fahrenheit? Shorts and T-shirt.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    After the first mile, I heat up, so only I'd have a light jacket for after the race.

If you're a sweat demon when you run--like me, and let's be honest most of us--you *definitely* want something warm for after the race, because you will be WET. That very quickly becomes COLD once you stop moving.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    After the first mile, I heat up, so only I'd have a light jacket for after the race.

If you're a sweat demon when you run--like me, and let's be honest most of us--you *definitely* want something warm for after the race, because you will be WET. That very quickly becomes COLD once you stop moving.

Yep, that's me, lol. I also tend to have a shirt to change into and a towel to dry off with. All of it helps with that post-run chill.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

YES!!! Best advise ever post race. I always no matter the temp have a light jacket or shirt to put on. Along with my flip flops. My feet just want them when I am finished.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    For 50 degrees, I'd wear leggings (my knees ache if they get too cold) and short sleeves -- but only because I know my hands/arms get way warmer than the rest of me. But definitely bring a sweatshirt for post-race or else you'll be freezing! Also recommended: extra socks, and if you are wearing a hat/headband, an extra to switch into post-race.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What's your normal training gear for 50 degrees? Run in that.

I train in between 0C and 35C (35 to 90F) in the same gear, the only big difference is a skin layer of compression in the cold, and runners gloves in the heat.

I'd be wearing a disposable long sleeve for before the start (go to the local thrift store, pick them up for a couple of bucks), then hat, tshirt & shorts. You may want gels for the race so something with pockets could be advantageous.

NB you will get very cold very quickly if you tired, sweaty and it's cold, especially if there's a breeze. Hoodie and towel or blanket for the end if you plan on sticking around at the event.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    rrowdiness wrote: »
    What's your normal training gear for 50 degrees? Run in that.

I train in between 0C and 35C (35 to 90F) in the same gear, the only big difference is a skin layer of compression in the cold, and runners gloves in the heat.

I'd be wearing a disposable long sleeve for before the start (go to the local thrift store, pick them up for a couple of bucks), then hat, tshirt & shorts. You may want gels for the race so something with pockets could be advantageous.

NB you will get very cold very quickly if you tired, sweaty and it's cold, especially if there's a breeze. Hoodie and towel or blanket for the end if you plan on sticking around at the event.
    Runner's gloves for the heat? My hands always get hot if I'm running distance. I can't stand to wear gloves for more than the first mile when it's in the 40s, forget anything warmer. Is that something that helps?
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would be in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. I usually bring with me a long sleeve shirt from a previous race that I can take off and toss.
  • jeffhayes6
    Options
    general "rule of thumb" is to dress for 20 degrees warmer than what it is... that should guide your choices and prevent over-heating
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It is all about what you are used too. Some people will wear shorts and a tank and be fine.

I would probably wear some capris, a light to medium weight t-shirt or tank and a long sleeved medium weight top. Then I would take off the long sleeved shirt after a mile or 2. Some people throw their outer layers off (usually they get donated to charity). I don't mind tying the shirt around my waist and I do like the option of being able to put it back on if I start to get too cold. It also saves me from having to gear check.